Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 09:33 PM

Do you watch classic TV?

Just to say as I share over this fine forum, I am not meaning to be a know it all arrogant person or somebody who just shares his side....I want to hear your side very much.

I just like sharing and I live in a place where most of what I watch I cannot just find someone and start up a conversation about the following:

I seem to be drawn to these classics

Comedy

The Bob Newhart Show - That show is like home to me. It is so comforting even in the background. Bob's timing....so good.

The Odd Couple TV series 1st one- Felix Unger....he was the first Sheldon (BBT) in my view.

The Jack Benny radio and TV programs- Now this was before my time for sure ....but I clearly see how comedians who came after tried to emulate Jack ......but Jack was and still is unmatched.....he could milk something to death and it was so funny. and the radio broadcasts....I listen on audio recordings from his first show onward....so cool...and i love even the ads as that whole period 30's 40' 50's all cam to life for me. Jack was a legend and still is to me.

Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) Johnny idolized Jack and caught a lot from him ....but Johnny was his own guy too and man could he just keep it going and interesting and spontaneously funny and he didn't divide his audience on sensitive issues...war, politics religion. Plus Johnny let his guests do their thing....he got that from Jack too.

I guess ....most recent ...I got to give high high credit to a newer show ....The Big Bang Theory.....best show in years...Jim Parsons / Sheldon is the best I have seen in a particular role in many years.

Lastly ...yes I'll finish.....the secret to that show BBT is that they pointed out something that was already said that for sure was racially or sexually or whatever biased ...no doubt and you would figure that the PC crowd would harp so much on it....but the genius of it was that they the actors Raj and others would say that's racist or they would note that what they joked about was socially unacceptable ....but ....the key thing is they got the laugh.....it's that ole saying better to ask for forgiveness than permission......and the writers of that show are fantastic

one more thing....Jonathon Winters on the Carson show...and him with Robin Williams....

Thankful for the video access on the internet....not sure if you can name names but you know where to watch videos on the internet.....thousands....

Please share.....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 09:51 PM

Re: Do you watch classic TV?

I've never seen any of those shows in the UK other than The Big Bang Theory, which I have a lot of affection for. I must try and watch the last few series as I somehow skipped watching them. No idea why.
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 10:08 PM

So is this forum mainly of British people over 50...i thought it was international? It doesn't say UK site that I can see.

In any case:

I like these UK shows

One foot in the Grave -Victor Melville funny stuff
Keeping up Appearances....Mrs. Bukett instead of Buquet
Open All Hours- with Ronny Barker was that his name
Fawlty Towers- Clease...good stuff

Jack Benny...i am surprised you never heard of him.....he was known in England in his day for sure. People there liked him as far I could see from my knowledge.

Do you know who Jack Benny, Bob Hope, George Burns are? ...i mean these guys were legends in vaudeville, radio, and everything ....they were on for like 50 years.....over that.

Bob Hope...USO shows in WWII and onward and Jack Benny too.

Is it really true that people in England don't know who these guys were?

I'm an American ...and I know quite a bit about Bletchly Park...a phenomenal spy network.

I know of Eric Idle and John Clease sp?

Wow maybe we are that culturally different. Anyone else chime in ......
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 10:38 PM

Oh, I've heard of Jack Benny, Bob Hope, George Burns and so forth. I have heard the odd radio excerpt now and again and seen the occasional old film over the decades, but they were never TV regulars over here. One American "comedian" I loathed was Jerry Lewis, the unfunniest man I ever had the misfortune to watch. I had to endure him a couple of times because my grandparents liked him for some unfathomable reason.

I have heard the name Johnny Carson but never seen anything of his TV show. He wasn't on UK TV.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by spincycle42 ->
So is this forum mainly of British people over 50...i thought it was international? It doesn't say UK site that I can see.
Hi Spincycle - we certainly are international - have members all over the place - US, Australia, Japan, Germany, South Africa - to name but a few. I believe you are the first from Bangkok though!

One foot in the Grave -Victor Melville funny stuff
Keeping up Appearances....Mrs. Bukett instead of Buquet
Open All Hours- with Ronny Barker was that his name
Fawlty Towers- Clease...good stuff
Excellent choices there!

Is it really true that people in England don't know who these guys were?
We have certainly heard of them - maybe they were just not so popular here as in US. Bob Hope is very well known - all those 'Road' films with Bing Crosby!

One American show I used to like a lot was 'Bewitched' - did you like that one?
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 11:24 PM

Well Tachyon

Help me out here...are most of these people on this forum from the Uk?

Are there any Americans or British who know more of American shows etc. On this forum .....ie names i could share with...,or is this inappropriate...intrusive....i get it if it is...and when this forum says over 50 are most people ...course how would ya know.....,like more 70 or late 60s....i dont know...so im asking....,it could be that this place is UK mainly......i wrote to the contact for this site and i noticed the guy who answered my question on spy shows named Percy knew where a show was filmed in Wales..,so he is UK i think....,well im american yep but i,m an expat having lived overseas for over 25 years....,so im not your typical yank .....at least i dont think so....although i still love baseball....,oh well......hmmm what could we have in common ....well i guess there's WWII in getting rid of Hitler.....just kidding.....ive been to England by the way....,to London of course, stayed with a friend in Enfield , back in the mid 90's....to beachyhead, had the real chips.....so good. Saw a play in the theatre district called laughter on the 38th floor with gene wilder....i liked covet garden very much and westminster abbey,.....poets corner.,..and went to the British museum ...,fantastic ancient egyptian stuff...tates gallery and the albert and something museum...lots of classic doorknobs.,,and rooms...victorian...maybe....and cambridge college.....it reminded me a lot of boston....gee i wonder why

Well there there is an attempt at drawing to common things with me and the UK.

Though these are tourist places....likw NYC locals dont go to the Statue of Liberty....ok how about A levels and O levels in education.....and learnt, spelt, lauries, to let, quid, getting pissed, its engaged, trolly, trousers, trainers

Learned, spelled, semi trucks, to rent, money, getting angry,not drunk, busy tel. Signal,we say busy, shopping cart, pants, and sneakers....

Here's a question to end ....what does SNAFU mean?
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 11:31 PM

Bewitched yeah it was good....endora.,..she made the show.....dick seargent the 1st darrin was really good.....forgive me i generally know how to spell as i have a masters degree...but my hands move and i mis type ...is that a word..,well its a forum ...my perfectionism getting in the way....man you gave me some relief about knowing who bob hope was etc. ....thanks for that.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 12:37 AM

Jack Benny was really good.If you want to see someone with the same style watch Kelsey Grammar in Frasier.

You didn't mention Phil Silvers AKA Bilko.
That was very big in the UK in the 50's.

I would say most in an over 50's forum would know all the names you said and others like the Marx Bros and Laurel and Hardy.
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

15-03-2021, 12:45 AM

Hi Spincycle42, I thought Snafu was an American term in WWII for 'situation normal all fecked up' as was Fubar? But don't quote me?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 03:16 AM

I used to go watch the filming of the Bob Newhart show. I think I've seen more than a dozen being filmed. Mary Tyler Moore, as well.

Great fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top