Join for free
Page 25 of 33 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 > Last »
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 10:37 AM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

I've just received this from our Neighbourhood Watch coordinator:
"The latest scam is a text or email alerting you to a problem on the census form you recently completed. 'Just pay £1.05 to have this corrected'. Follow the link and you give brief details and transfer the piddling amount. Half an hour later you receive a phone call from the 'Police' advising you that you have been scammed and need to urgently transfer your money to a safe account before it is stolen!"

These awful scammers seem to spend their time finding different ways to extort money from us - the census is one of the last places I would have thought extorting money was possible!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I've just received this from our Neighbourhood Watch coordinator:
"The latest scam is a text or email alerting you to a problem on the census form you recently completed. 'Just pay £1.05 to have this corrected'. Follow the link and you give brief details and transfer the piddling amount. Half an hour later you receive a phone call from the 'Police' advising you that you have been scammed and need to urgently transfer your money to a safe account before it is stolen!"

These awful scammers seem to spend their time finding different ways to extort money from us - the census is one of the last places I would have thought extorting money was possible!
I'm not really sure whether the police or any other authorities can do anything about this.
The problem is tracking them down, and many of them seem to operate from foreign countries.
It isn't only telephone calls now either, as you say. The Internet is open to all and world-wide.
I can't see any solution, other than innocent victims being educated as to how not to fall for the scams.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 09:58 AM

I have just had a call from a number showing as 0022 code.

I do not know this code, and suspected a scam so didn't pick up.
On checking the number out, apparently it is a '"Fake number" from abroad.

What are 'fake numbers' exactly, where do scammers get them from, how are they generated, and why they are even allowed to work?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 10:12 AM

I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned already (there's a lot to read through).

Got a phone call on my mobile which said it was a call from my sister. On answering, it went to a recorded message telling me that illegal activity had been detected using my national insurance number and that if I didn't contact them (the national crime agency) straight away, I would be arrested. I was then told to push button 1 to connect. (I didn't obviously).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have just had a call from a number showing as 0022 code.

I do not know this code, and suspected a scam so didn't pick up.
On checking the number out, apparently it is a '"Fake number" from abroad.

What are 'fake numbers' exactly, where do scammers get them from, how are they generated, and why they are even allowed to work?
I don't know how they get them Mups. I also had a call from 'Durrassic vets' a genuine vetenary practice in Sidmouth but I have no connection with them and I certainly don't have their number on my phone. I didn't answer and when I checked the phone number it was from (surprise surprise), India.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't know how they get them Mups. I also had a call from 'Durrassic vets' a genuine vetenary practice in Sidmouth but I have no connection with them and I certainly don't have their number on my phone. I didn't answer and when I checked the phone number it was from (surprise surprise), India.

That's awful Dongle. Why isn't there a way of stopping this?
How come we can launch people off to other planets, but haven't the technology to stop fake phone calls?!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

21-05-2021, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's awful Dongle. Why isn't there a way of stopping this?
How come we can launch people off to other planets, but haven't the technology to stop fake phone calls?!!
There are certainly a few whole Countries I would happily launch into space Mups...... without oxygen too.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 12:32 PM

I don’t think that this is what we call a ‘scam’, but it makes me wonder how it works.
On the TV a few days ago, there was one of those lottery adverts for the Royal society for protection of children. The prize was a 3 million £ home in some exotic place, and a fabulous car.
Well are they going to get enough participants to fund the charity and the so called prize? 🤔🤔
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

21-05-2021, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I don’t think that this is what we call a ‘scam’, but it makes me wonder how it works.
On the TV a few days ago, there was one of those lottery adverts for the Royal society for protection of children. The prize was a 3 million £ home in some exotic place, and a fabulous car.
Well are they going to get enough participants to fund the charity and the so called prize? 🤔🤔
I often wonder that Emjay. There's also those word search competitions which are ridiculously easy but the small print says it cost £10.50 to enter.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 12:45 PM

Yes and there are those surveys that come up on my emails. You answer a few questions, and then ask if you will donate x £s
To support the whatever it is.

Page 25 of 33 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top