Join for free
Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 04:27 PM

Re: State pension scandal …

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
So according to you I should leave nothing to my children leaving them to struggle on state aide entirely.

Following your arguement again. Nobody should work as the state will support them . Do wake up some time and face reality
Your kids should work to support themselves. Mine do.

Unfortunately the reality that you envisage is unaffordable.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 04:41 PM

If a retired person's total income is less than the £179 odd mentioned they are entitled to Pension Credit which also gives access to other benefits.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
True. But it's only sustainable if the total amount of tax in is greater than the total amount being paid out. Unfortunately, increased life expectancy is upsetting the apple cart.
The retirement age is going up as well.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
The retirement age is going up as well.
Why should there even be retirement age? Scrap the SARB and that goes out of the window too.

Times have changed and circumstances have changed so very much that both are now totally inappropriate not to mention the MILLIONS of people in the UK who have contributed NOTHING but held their grasping hands out for EVERYTHING and are breeding like rats in a dump making our social services even more unaffordable.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 07:03 PM

My son's are very successfull I will have you know. Both have a degree first class with honours. One has been headhunted buy American and big UK organisations. he also lectures on his particular subject.

the other is a trained psychologist earning good money as well
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
It's an interesting point you make OGF.

Leaving aside the idea that graduates tend to end up getting higher paid jobs which more than pay (in taxes) for the cost of their education, and indeed the student repayment scheme also offsets any debt....

Your argument also seems to suggest that maybe the school leaving age and/or curriculum needs to be reviewed to enable youngsters seek employment with less generic knowledge at a far more tender age.

This may have legs, on the assumption that there are sufficient jobs available to keep them off the street.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not (entirely) knocking it and have felt for some time that schools and 6th form colleges ought to have courses with specific career skillsets in mind for those who have an idea of what field they hope to end up in.
I don't know what the situation is in the area where you live Dex, but I'm aware of many young people (Twenties and thirties) where not a single one of them (my daughter, two granddaughters and friends included) ended up doing the job that they were trained and qualified to do at University. My best friends son who gained qualifications in physics at Oxford, is now a professional poker player, and actually runs a successful tutoring website. It would be interesting to see any statistics on just how many students that graduated from university are actually following their chosen course of training.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 09:04 PM

What would happen following your arguement is those with property would sell up, have a great time spending the money from it then claim they need state help.

Wow that would mean I could go on several world cruises in the most expensive cabins. Oh no second thoughts why not fly first class around the world seeing different countries in total luxury.

When all the money is spent i could then go cap in hand to the govermment pleading poverty and be given housing -food- clothing etc all at the states expense .

Costing far more than the pension i would have got.

Great idea . That has shot your theory right down the toilet pan
I don't think you could do poverty realspeed. Because you are who you are that would be an unlikely scenario....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think you could do poverty realspeed. Because you are who you are that would be an unlikely scenario....
Been there and struggled when first married . Talk about counting the pennies we counting the farthings So I have a good idea of what it is like. we spent 2 hours arguing if we could afford a copper bottom milk pan costing 50 pence old money in a winter sale.
To remind me of those time I still have it hanging up in my workshop

it doesn't hurt to be remided of how married life started out
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

23-06-2021, 09:24 PM

My son's are very successfull I will have you know. Both have a degree first class with honours. One has been headhunted buy American and big UK organisations. he also lectures on his particular subject.

the other is a trained psychologist earning good money as well
Mine just make money.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-06-2021, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Mine just make money.
good for them doing what may I ask not as forgers I hope

Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top