Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 08:52 AM

Re: What book format do you like best?

I don't often have time to read a book these days but when I do they are almost always old friends from my bookshelf .

Slightly brown at the edges and with a reassuringly familiar scent, incomparable
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't often have time to read a book these days but when I do they are almost always old friends from my bookshelf .

Slightly brown at the edges and with a reassuringly familiar scent, incomparable

Oooo yes ... Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' books
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Oooo yes ... Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' books
I used to love those - and earlier - "The Folk of the Faraway Tree" - I thought the concept of an ever changing world at the top of a tree was just brilliant - even if some of the lands were a little scary !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 09:05 AM

Has to be a real book. Had the use of a Kindle for a long week-end - not for me. I suppose, as a lot of you have said, it would be useful when travelling.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 11:05 AM

I enjoy both.

I have a tablet which I read my books on I also like the fact I can read the same book on my phone and it tells me if I have read more pages on one or the other device and do I want to move to that page. Brilliant.

What I usually do as well is look for all the free books and gets those which lets me get to know other authors which I would not normally look at. There is a big collection and you can usually get books for under £2 which I like.

I have to admit though there is nothing more enjoyable than reading a proper book and going to a book store and seeing what is on offer.
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK
philwhiteland is male  philwhiteland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 12:18 PM

I'm trying to collect all of the P.G. Wodehouse books and I really enjoy scrabbling around second-hand book stores and charity shops trying to find these. I could, just as easily, pick up the lot from the internet, but there would be no fun in that at all. There's certainly something about an old hardback book that's yellowing with age.

The only problem with Kindle books is that everyone believes they 'have a book in them' (which may well be true) but now everyone can publish it, which makes for quite variable quality
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK
philwhiteland is male  philwhiteland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I used to love those - and earlier - "The Folk of the Faraway Tree" - I thought the concept of an ever changing world at the top of a tree was just brilliant - even if some of the lands were a little scary !
Absolutely! Fantastic concept which I only discovered when my sister was little and I read them to her.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 02:15 PM

I love PG Wodehouse, I'm enjoying the Blandings series on BBC, loved the books.
True everyone thinks they have a book in them Phil, and they probably have, the only problem with that is we all have a voice but can't all sing. For my reading it's a mixture of style, humour, subject, and skill in holding my attention throughout the book, long descriptions of places and their surroundings tend to get me bored, but some readers love that kind of thing. Love stuff is, as they used to say years ago, "Strictly for the Birds". It's very hard to please people and I for one wouldn't have the patience nor the will to even try, they need have no worries bless 'em, they will never be inflicted with any effort from mise, sod 'em all, I've got me pension.
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK

31-03-2014, 03:10 PM

I probably sounded a bit petulant in the previous post. It is true that the competition in Kindle books has become intense but, on the other hand, there are an awful lot of very good books that are now available which would never have seen the light of day via traditional publishing routes.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Well I hope I have more than one book in me as I have already written one. Mind you the content wasn't exactly deep or meaningful .

Something amazing happens when I (you as well?) attempt to write a book in that it develops a mind of it's own. Quite creepy I found it as I didn't know what the hell my characters were going to do next.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top