Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2015, 04:31 PM

Re: Can't put this book down.

Just made a note of book and author. Love a good book
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2015, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I hope you enjoy it as much as I am doing ruthio.
As I said in my OP, it's a bit slow at first so bear with it. Once the past & present come together it's absolutely riveting...
I don't mind 'slow'.
Sometimes at the end of the day with a cuppa and half an hour or so before lights out it's lovely to pick up a book where you can just feel it wrapping its arms around you like a comfort blanket.
Books like this are a welcome change now and again from page turners that keep you up half the night!

I'm reading a wonderful american novel by Jane Smiley called Some Luck. It was recommended in the book page of the Saga magazine, I find their recommendations are always worth a look, and it follows a farming family in Iowa through the years from the end of the first world war to 1953. Each year is one chapter, and you witness the babies turning into children and adults and parents, you witness the highs and lows of every day life in a tough rural environment, the Depression, most of all the total absence of health and safety!

It's beautifully written and I'm totally engrossed!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Hi Carol
I have just read up on this book and like Ruthio I will be adding it to my e reader. Thanks for the info on this book as I had never heard of Rosie Goodwin before.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2015, 09:12 PM

Enjoyed the ghostly Whispers, thanks for the tip!

I've also just finished How I Lost You by Jenny Blackhurst.
It's a thriller, by heck it's a thumping good page turner, kept me up til 2am this morning finishing it!!!
Would be a great holiday read, (only I'm not on holiday!)
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

20-07-2015, 09:26 PM

I'm just getting to the end of a collection of stories by Maeve Binchy called Chestnut Street.
She's a good story teller, these are all little gems, lovely way to end the day.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 06:27 PM

Great Carol, i'm looking for another book to read, and I like Ghostly one's. I have just finished reading Peter James book.
WholeLottaRosie
derbyshire
WholeLottaRosie is female  WholeLottaRosie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 05:10 PM

I will look out for 'Whispers' I like a book that you just can't put down. One of my favourites was Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella, it grabs you from the first chapter, another ghost story with a twist.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top