Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 01:20 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

watching repeats of "Home Fires" very uplifting!!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 02:30 AM

Jolly good-at least it keeps your tiny braincell from lingering over that time you had sex once! [although you didn't mention what the teddybear thought of it]
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 02:40 PM

Friday night

Sleek lines curve around the mind, stimulating the imagination. Here and now she faces me, but who is the mirror?

Tumeric stains on fingertips, reminders of the culinary fun. A half empty glass of Bordeaux upon the monopoly board: oh yeah, another loss.

Ruby-red shoes seek a home.
A silver spoon is bent in two.

Johnny Cash plays as the record spins.

Some you lose,
some you win!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 03:23 PM

I have taken to habitually performing multiple forward rolls around the lounge, then jumping up making star shapes in the air. The whole process has now become involuntary which has caused concern for Mrs Spitty. We have discussed the situation, and, I have made the first step to self help by getting in touch with Gambolers Anonymous.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Jem, I guess that you are referring to the late Ken Russell, the enfant terrible of the silver screen.
I won’t name drop again, but he was a long time friend of my late mother, (couldn’t resist it). By an incredible coincidence they both died on the exact same day November 27 2011.
Mother occasionally asked m e to join them for afternoon tea during the summer of 2006. He was a delight, turning into mother's driveway, turning on the charm, & turning an ordinary afternoon into one quite extraordinary one.
We talked about Food & his recipes for some Italian dishes, recalling an article in which he was quizzed on his love of eating out. Very generously he gave out the name & location of his favourite watering hole, deep in the New Forest.
Caramba, when he tried to eat there shortly after disclosing the place the Maître d' had to turn him away because they were booked solid for the following three months.
He waxed lyrical about his productions particularly music.

But enough of this

Is the film SAVAGE MESSIAH?
I knew there was some family connection with the Rustler (I heard Oliver Reed sometimes referred to Ken Russell as ’The Rustler’, Reed was very much loved in Cork and is buried there as you well know)
I faintly remember you mentioning your late mother knew Russell well.
The film is called “Dance of the Seven Veils” I wonder will it be shown on TV when the Strauss copyright runs out.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
watching repeats of "Home Fires" very uplifting!!
Watching ‘How it’s made’ on TV, I love these, they just showed one called “How elevators are made’ very uplifting.
Later on they’ll be showing one called ‘Drilling for oil’ I won’t be watching it, very boring I would imagine. Last week they one on optical surgery, I enjoyed it, a real eye opener.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 05:12 PM

There's a new programme on the radio called 'Waxing Lyrical',Jem.

You should keep your ears open for that-it sounds good!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

02-11-2018, 07:21 PM

Now there’s a coincidence Pug, the missus has just got back from the clinic where she had a wax removal job done, I believe they use some sort of mini hoover to remove the earwax now. I have never had it done yet, the hearing is grand, until she asks me for money, then I go all deaf, miserable miser that I am.

Wax lyrical, “To talk in a highly enthusiastic and effusive way” I have always wondered where the ‘wax’ came into that expression, I used to think it was someone singing by candlelight, but then I was never edumacated proper like.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 07:28 PM

Ha ha I thought it was to do with the moon.
I know I am waning.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

02-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Happy wine day Sweetie, have we got lift off yet?
I'm not long back from town where I had a couple of pints with an old friend.

All these modern technical terms are very confusing, but even I, after much kicking and screaming, have some notion of what some of them mean, some old chaps just don’t bother their backsides learning or just don’t want to know, and who can blame them with more and more new terms coming out every day.
One of my surveillance cameras went on the blink and I slipped into town to buy a new one, I wanted to upgrade to a PoE type camera (if you don’t happen to know what that is look it up yourself, I’m too tired to explain it) The shop I chose to buy the thing is a very very old established family shop and the owner chap must be 100 if he’s a day, but they are very reasonable price wise.
When I asked to see some of the latest PoE models the old lad looked a bit confused and asked
“What dies the PoE stand for… Pieces of Eight?, sorry but I believe we’ve gone decimal now”
Now that’s what I call throwing in the towel on technology.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top