Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 02:47 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Well I just got in from the Windy City
The Windy City is mighty pretty
But they ain’t got what you got… Spitty.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 03:46 PM

Leaves are falling all around
It's time I was on my way
Thanks to you I'm much obliged
For such a pleasant stay

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Never tried “Wiser’s” whiskey, never even heard of it as a matter of fact, is it Scottish whisky?
I suppose one could say I’m none the Wiser. Oh God! cringe Jem.

The wife’s niece Hilda was with us today paying one of her “flying visits” as she calls them, that’s a laugh they always last at least four hours.
She is 49 (so she insists) and still single, she’s not gay of anything like that, and she’s been out with quite a few fellas in her day, she’s not bad looking either and she’s a great cook, but boy can she talk, she never stops, she gives me a headache and there’s no escaping her in this cold and wet weather, I just have to sit there and suffer in silence.
She herself brought the subject of marriage up with the wife after we finished dinner this evening, and after her second glass of port she got into full swing.
She said she’s waiting for the right man to come along, the one’s she’d been with just hadn’t got the “sparkle” she needed so she knew they were not Mr. right, but some day he would come along and she’ll know straight away,
God preserve us all, such bullshite I had to listen to, then she smiled, crossed her arms across her chest and said in a determined voice “I’m saving myself”
I had to get a dig in somehow so I butted in and said “I’m saving myself too Hilda my dear, with the Post Office, and just like you, the interest keeps going down every year”
She was not amused and the wife gave me a look that would turn milk sour.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:23 PM

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:24 PM

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

10-11-2019, 10:21 PM

I was still thinking about niece Hilda last night in bed, and I hope she eventually finds the man she’s looking for and spends the rest of her life in a state of happiness, but somehow I doubt that she ever will, she’s far too fussy in her choices, she always was since she was a little girl. if she ever finds this saintly Adonis then God help him is all I can say, he’s doomed to a life of perfection, and no man can achieve that and be happy at the same time, maybe they’ll come up with a robot to suit her, who knows.
I can remember when she was a kid, the wife and me were taking her out to the seaside one Summer Sunday, we were taking the little boy from next door with us, his mother was dead and his father was raising him while trying to keep a full time job going, we thought he’d like a rest on his day off.
Well if Hilda didn’t kick up a fuss about the young lad coming with us, she flatly refused to go and went back home to her mother, who luckily only lived around the corner. And all because the little boy had a mop of fiery red hair, she said she wouldn’t be seen dead with a boy with red hair!, and she being only about 6 or 7 at the time.
I’m afraid she hasn’t changed much in being selective since then, ah well where there’s life there’s hope and we must never give up hope, even for hopeless cases.
But don’t mind my “conscience outpourings” as RJ once so elegantly put it, and outpourings is all they are, sometimes even semi-conscience outpourings.
What a gentleman, I really do miss the old devil.

What was that old song? Ah yes, the old maid in the garret, this one is especially for the fussy ladies, I like this version, this lot have been around the block a few times but can still shake a leg and make great sounds.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:29 PM

I was bound to inherit some Irish red but got the deep auburn colour....and being a typical women always wanted to be blonde. Trying to dye though was a complete disaster as bright orange was always the end result...so I have cursed my red streak many a time over.

Mark Twain once quipped that "While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats.”

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

11-11-2019, 10:36 PM

Strange how most young men preferred blondes in my day, they probably still do today for all I know. The wife had auburn shoulder length hair back in the early 70’s and when the Sun shone on it it looked really red.
I was never attracted by the colour of a woman hair, except of course blondes, one can’t help but notice a blonde, they always catch the eye, but it’s purely a superficial thing, I think the personality is far more sustaining and interesting.
Did you know that there are women who would give their spleens for shiny hair?

I suppose one of the advantages of being a woman is you can have any colour hair you fancy, whereas the poor unfortunate men have to keep whatever colour God gave them, that is of course if they are lucky enough to have any hair left by the age of 50, an awful lot of fellas seem to be going bald prematurely these days, must be something in the water or the shampoos they use, nothing like a good hair scrubbing with a strong bar of red “Sunlight” soap as me mother used to use on us kids, that stuff could take paint off doors, your scalp would be black and blue from the scrubbing you got, but it paid off in the long run, it toughened up the hair and I still got a full head to it, grey and all that it is, “Better grey than gone away” as they say.
And for your shirts, sheets, and pillow cases remember “Nothing beat’s Rinso for your big wash!”

Meanwhile lads, here’s an old Egyptian remedy for baldness.

“Make a mixture of fats from a hippopotamus, crocodile, tomcat, snake and ibex; porcupine hair boiled in water and applied to the scalp for four days; and the leg of a female greyhound sautéed in oil with the hoof of a donkey" Sep 25, 2012 Wiki"
I doubt even David Attenborough could collect all those incredients, if you do manage it you'll have a beautiful head of strong hair, but you'll be the foulest smelling man for miles around.

I went out to the back yard today to break up a pallet left behind from a delivery of concrete slabs last Summer, they are a bugger to take apart when they use those heavy duty stable guns on them, but the square blocks that hold the wooden planks together are great for burning on the fire with the coal, last for ages.
I had to come in after about 10 minutes as me hands were frozen stiff, even with gloves on! that was at 2.30 pm and the temperature was 2.04c, (6.7c in London I noticed, Dublin was the coldest spot in Europe today) God help us when the real Winter comes in in Jan/Feb.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-11-2019, 11:45 PM

Jem, one day you will have me pulling my hair out.

Where are the stalwarts?
solo
UK

12-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Never mind blonde hair catching the eye...I tell you my orange hair did far more than catch the eye ...it caused heart stopping palpitations, put more than a merry twinkle in a chaps thoughts...and once seen was never forgotten

Stalwarts now there's a fine word to be going on with....along with hearts of oak and longbows. Although not shooting arrows these days stalwarts will always be around... although you do wonder at times seeing these man bun thingies.

The 63 big freeze showed what stalwart meant, With snow higher than the telegraph poles it was the first time I saw a helicopter so close up as it dropped food to us. The country was being clobbered by weather but trains still ran thanks to cloth capped stalwarts. No wonder my generation smile knowingly these days. ,

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top