Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 11:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

He obviously does not moisturise, those spectacles would have been on his Chin if he did.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Wifi very very iffy so doing the best I can with very little to work with

Interesting bit of info on Dou and he has a patient face dont you think...mind you I,m the same when I am waiting for bread to rise so it must be a trait some have and some don't.

Pinch nessy specs have always fascinated me and the question is still...how the heck do they stay put
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:17 PM

I know you don’t do Agatha Christie Solo, but I have to say she was nuts about pince-nez glasses, they are mentioned several times in almost every book she wrote, I believe the name means “Pinch-nose” in French, makes sense, maybe her grandmother wore them, she’s supposed to have based Miss Marple on her very clever grandmother.
Someone could base a new detective book on my missus, it’s impossible to con her, she can anticipate my every move, she never misses a trick, like the time I was planning to go horse riding in the Andes, yes even with my condition, but the plan was foiled, she discovered the brochures in my shed and all was revealed, my dream was shattered.
In all the years I worked as a goldsmith I could never feel comfortable using a jewellers eyeglass, you know the little black things some stick into their eye and leave it there, I always use a hand held strong class instead, one of the small foldable ones that fit neatly into your top pocket.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:24 PM

As I said before I’m the curious type and I notice when I type the word French without a capital “F” the misspelling red line does not appear underneath, but if I do the same with the word American it does, why is that? are some countries names not deserving a capital and others are?
I see God has also lost his capital letter as well, I’m using an apple mac here, an American machine so perhaps seeing that Trump was off on a holy gathering with his fellow evangelists recently maybe he might be able to persuade apple to give God back his capital letter? Strangely enough if you type Vlad the Impaler in without a capital “V” it gets the red line line, methinks the world’s gone upside down and the end is nigh.

A few examples I just typed in, it’s not important, but strange all the same, maybe it’s my settings on the spellchecker, but it’s set to English spelling and I doubt it’s that. Not as smart as they’re made out to be these computers are they?

french cheese. Passes spell check
american cheese, fails spell check.
english cheese. Passes.
chinese cheese. Fails.
russian cheese. fails.
canadian cheese. fails.
german cheese. passes.
cyprus cheese. fails.
irish cheese. fails.
scottish cheese. fails.
iceland cheese. passes (made from seal’s milk, I see it’s on special this week too, the leaflet came through the letterbox this morning)

Seems to me only four countries of the above can be spelt properly without using a capital letter, English, French, and German, Iceland, again I ask why is that? Hard cheese perhaps?

Now everybody stay perfectly still and say cheese, please.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Wifi very very iffy so doing the best I can with very little to work with

Interesting bit of info on Dou and he has a patient face dont you think...mind you I,m the same when I am waiting for bread to rise so it must be a trait some have and some don't.

Pinch nessy specs have always fascinated me and the question is still...how the heck do they stay put
Far be it from me, to Speculate
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

14-01-2020, 07:38 AM

Jem, could be wrong but I think all the capitals need a Capital.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

14-01-2020, 10:09 PM

You hear some strange conversations when your waiting in your doctor’s surgery.

In my doctor’s waiting room the receptionist sits at a horseshoe shaped desk in the centre of the room where she can see everything, there are three land phone lines which ring constantly, the room is always well populated with patients and everyone can hear what the receptionist is saying, albeit only her side of the conversation, the rest is left to your imagination.
I spent nearly an hour there this morning awaiting the results of my annual blood test. (it was OK by the way)

I was only two minutes in the place when one of the phones rang, she answered it then after a short while she switched on the intercom to the doctors office.

“Dr. Kelly, there’s a lady on the phone wants to talk to you, she says she’s got tunnel vision, shall I put her through?”

Then another phone rings.

“Dr. Kelly, it’s that nympho maniac from Ash Buildings again, shall I put her onto you?”

But the eyes on the patients opened wide when another call came in.

“Dr Kelly, it’s that heavy Mrs Murphy again, she hasn’t got an appointment and she’s just caught her backside in her built in wardrobe, she want’s to know when can you squeeze her in?”

Funny places them doctors waiting rooms, when your not in pain that is.

Poor old Peter Sellers, he was madly in love with Sophia Loren after they made that film, but she wouldn’t have a belt of him, I believe he was very upset about that, ah well you can’t win them all Peter.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 10:59 AM

A bit of a lull in the gales and rain so wifi is showing a spark of life...

Not a day for thinking of horse riding in the Andes or anywhere for that matter as with this rain and the winds you would be blown there and back before you knew it and all without the pleasure of a decent view.

Know what you mean about doctors receptionist and phone calls...as they dont seem to have what I would call a normal voice when answering calls. I am sure it is a ploy to get you off the phone as quick as possible. Nothing worse is there knowing that whatever ailes you is being hummed and aahed about by a roomfull of eaves droppers all eager for every word.

Still thats the modern way I'm told....but I do hope they will forego the open door policy approach cos that would definitely finish me off completely. I dont mind an earfull but an eyefull is all together a whole different matter. -D
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

15-01-2020, 09:51 PM

It’s been lovely and sunny here today, a real picture of a Spring day, a bit cold but sure that’s to be expected
The wife and me took the dog for a long walk in the Phoenix Park then a bit of shopping for her in the new shopping centre while the dog and me waited patiently in the tavern, me with a pint of Guinness and him with a saucer full, no need to hurry, no need to worry and everything was at our leisure.

It’s that post office travel insurance ad that irks me, the one about horse riding in the Andes and mountain climbing in the Alps, “WITH YOUR CONDITION!” I find it a bit condescending.
It seems to me that an awful lot of people in advertising these days assume all old people have a “condition”, quite a lot of us oldies who have come through, shall we say the other side of the Van Allen Belt of life (55-65), when everything that can be thrown at your vulnerable body is thrown at it health wise, have a few scars but we don’t all have “conditions” thank you very much.
I’m 74 and never felt better, and according to the doctor, the wife, the kids, and the grandkids I’m in great condition for me age, thank God, and if I had a condition the last thing I’d want to do is go horse riding in the Andes, you know what they say about tempting fate, and look what happened to Christopher Reeve (Superman) when he fell off a horse and he was on level ground at the time of that terrible accident.
God knows we read enough about old "adventurers" being stranded on mountains, stuck in caves, drifting about in the sea after trying to cross the channel single handed, etc., without me adding to the strain on the rescue services, if you have a condition and a few quid over I say to hell with horse riding in the Andes and go out and have a good booze up with your friends while you still can.
But that’s just my way of seeing it, we all have our own way of getting our kicks, but don’t blame me if you fall off yer horse and spill yer milk, or whatever it was John Wayne said.

Watched an out take of the original Star Trek, Mr Spock had an eye infection and Captain Kirk says to him jokingly “Don’t worry about your Vulcan eye Spock, bones can fix that for you, what about your Vulcan ears?”
“What wrong with my Vulcan ears Captain?”
I don’t for a second believe they were saying the word “Vulcan”,not hard to guess the other word, the pair of them were in a state of hysterical laughter and it took an awful lot of takes to get it right.

My sympathies are with the poor second horse here, I just hope he made it to the weigh in, wouldn’t bet on it though.

solo
UK

16-01-2020, 03:27 PM

No matter what the weather etc is like there is always something or someone that does makes you gasp..like on Wednesday there were 82 mph gusts of winds at the Needles and at Ryde it wasn't much calmer. nor was Sandown. No sailing from Yarmouth either...just boats moored up being bashed about against the harbour walls.... and out of the blue 5 and 10 pound notes go flying past and lots of them as well.

Now they do say if a house was on fire that family member who has been unable to shift for themselves for the past 20 years would be the first out of the door and what caused me to burst out laughing at the flying pound notes was they were being pursued by 3 very elderly irate islanders who apparently had just come out of the bank when the wind snatched their notes out of their hands. Myself and some others managed to catch most of the notes for them but we all saw the funny side to the weather. I would say "Lessons have been learned" but if those islanders have'nt learned by their age they never will.

That poor second horse reminded me of Susan Ball and the shock when she first sang. Fisrt impressions and all that being so wrong. She did a beautiful song about Wild Horses..enjoy

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top