Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 12:23 PM

It's Not Often I Moan....BUT.

I've just been down to the Library to get a few Audio Books, I had been away for a good while so of course everything had changed. BUT, they have whittled the Audio section down to a few short shelves, hardly any selection at all. They used to have lots of sections and I wanted some Dectective Stories. But came away with just the one, the woman says there are a lot more downstairs but I need to order what I want and it will be brought up. I told her I wanted to browse the book selection, as I can't choose from a list of titles, I need to read the bit on the back of the case to see what it's about and if I fancy reading it. BUT, that's not allowed. No wonder they are losing people to the internet downloading when this is how they are now operating. I won't be going back for more in a hurry......fume.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 12:28 PM

Re: It's Not Often I Moan....BUT.

Would it be better to have a good browse and read about the ones you would like online and then pop to the library with a ready made list of ones you want to borrow...that way youre getting the best of both worlds ,and being able to read about them online rather than just choosing blind from a list

I often see books id like when im browsing online and I just make a note on paper of the titles so if im out and see them I know id like them
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I've just been down to the Library to get a few Audio Books, I had been away for a good while so of course everything had changed. BUT, they have whittled the Audio section down to a few short shelves, hardly any selection at all. They used to have lots of sections and I wanted some Dectective Stories. But came away with just the one, the woman says there are a lot more downstairs but I need to order what I want and it will be brought up. I told her I wanted to browse the book selection, as I can't choose from a list of titles, I need to read the bit on the back of the case to see what it's about and if I fancy reading it. BUT, that's not allowed. No wonder they are losing people to the internet downloading when this is how they are now operating. I won't be going back for more in a hurry......fume.
You should have asked her for a list of all the audio books in stock, then nipped to WH Smith to read the bit in the back of the books they had . Doesn't the internet give you a brief breakdown of the stories in books?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Yes Aysa, I suppose I'll have to try something online. Twink we don't have a WH Smith, or anything like it, in the wilds of the far north of Scotland. Thurso is just one wee main street with a few essencial shops and a wee Tesco on the outskirts.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 01:04 PM

Have a look at audible books on line roxy, they give free trials you may enjoy and have books listed and described pretty well. You could then see if they have them at the library too.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

31-08-2016, 01:20 PM

My problem is Julie, I want them in normal disc form, not MP3. I like to bung a disc on the stereo in the car on the long drive between Thurso and Perth, also like to be able to play them on the lounge stereo while I'm working around the living area of the house. I'm not a fan of wee personal MP3 players and don't have one. I have audio books in files on my pc and I can only listen to them while I'm in himself's den doing emails ect, and I am not in there much.
Will check out this Audible Site though, see if I can access their library.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 01:25 PM

Yes Aysa, I suppose I'll have to try something online. Twink we don't have a WH Smith, or anything like it, in the wilds of the far north of Scotland. Thurso is just one wee main street with a few essencial shops and a wee Tesco on the outskirts.
Looks like your only alternative is online then. I would be tempted to ask if they can provide a list of audio books they have though, then you can look them up online to see which would interest you. I live in a much larger town, than you, and I know our library has only a limited number of audio books. Good luck!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 01:30 PM

I have lots of audio books, far more than I'll ever listen too, but I don't like detective stories otherwise you could have had some of mine.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 01:48 PM

My problem is Julie, I want them in normal disc form, not MP3. I like to bung a disc on the stereo in the car on the long drive between Thurso and Perth, also like to be able to play them on the lounge stereo while I'm working around the living area of the house. I'm not a fan of wee personal MP3 players and don't have one. I have audio books in files on my pc and I can only listen to them while I'm in himself's den doing emails ect, and I am not in there much.
Will check out this Audible Site though, see if I can access their library.
Ah now have a look on eBay I got a lot of cd format books on there for my neighbour, really cheap too as most people seem to want downloads.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 02:09 PM

Does anyone still read "paper" books? Being retired, I normally read 2 or 3 books over a 2 week period and rarely venture to our computer, tablet, CD player, etc., when I want to enjoy a read. Our kids and grandkids much prefer electronic "devices" to regular books so maybe it's a generational thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top