Join for free
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 11:26 AM

New Rule

Although it took me a few minutes to work out what had happened, I completely understand the Mods' decision to close a particularly argumentative thread and, in fact, sub-forum.

I have tried to avoid certain people in whom I have no real interest by placing them on 'ignore'. When I saw a rather long sequence of interaction between two specific names, I thought that something must be up!

Let's hope for some more sensible discussion now, certainly without personal attacks. After all, we're all (presumably) over-50 and not school children! I'm going to try my best anyway.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 02:52 PM

Re: New Rule

Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Although it took me a few minutes to work out what had happened, I completely understand the Mods' decision to close a particularly argumentative thread and, in fact, sub-forum.

I have tried to avoid certain people in whom I have no real interest by placing them on 'ignore'. When I saw a rather long sequence of interaction between two specific names, I thought that something must be up!

Let's hope for some more sensible discussion now, certainly without personal attacks. After all, we're all (presumably) over-50 and not school children! I'm going to try my best anyway.
Hi JBR,

I also agree with the decision to close the sub-forum. My "ignore list" is also pretty long.

It would be great if the personal insults, ad hominems, diversions and whataboutism could be left out of the discussion.
Your promise to try your best is very welcome as statements like this one (it was yours) may then be left out:

(28-04-2021, 04:37 PM) Of course. He's a remoaner, and they're all nutters.

Have a nice week everybody
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hi JBR,

I also agree with the decision to close the sub-forum. My "ignore list" is also pretty long.

It would be great if the personal insults, ad hominems, diversions and whataboutism could be left out of the discussion.
Your promise to try your best is very welcome as statements like this one (it was yours) may then be left out:

(28-04-2021, 04:37 PM) Of course. He's a remoaner, and they're all nutters.

Have a nice week everybody
If you knew me better, you'd understand my sense of humour.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 06:18 PM

It will be interesting to see what develops in a subforum where "the personal insults, ad hominems, diversions and whataboutism could be left out of the discussion" if instead "some more sensible discussion" does indeed take it's place.
One can but hope.

In a time though when much is still afoot with deals being strengthened, signed and otherwise begun (has nobody seen the news regarding the UK and India? Japan? Jordan?) and today has seen the G7 summit commence I have to confess to being a little surprised not to see at least some recent news in this part of the forum following recent events.
In fact it seems remarkably quiet other than for reminiscing over the past.

I will wait and see how this part of the forum develops in the hope that at last we can indeed see a return to debate and discussion which is more indicative of the supposed maturity of its membership.

Onwards and upwards.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 09:26 PM

Will threads be locked if we post anything relating to EU?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-05-2021, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Will threads be locked if we post anything relating to EU?
They will if you carry on swearing like a trooper.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
They will if you carry on swearing like a trooper.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top