Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Ladies at war

My mum was drafted into the arms factories in 1940, they moved her to the south of England to work in a munitions factory in Kent, . . this was the type of song they listened to as the lathes turned out the shells and bullets.

In the mood, Glen Miller.

Those girls worked as much as 14 hour days, in the factory near Birmingham which built Spitfires they were'nt allowed to take cover during air raids, the machines kept working.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Re: Ladies at war

Yes, they were a wonder!!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
Yes, they were a wonder!!
Do you remember these girls Joan ?

nero
Central Scotland

11-11-2009, 04:52 PM

My mum and dad were always frugal, . . they never wasted anything, . . my mum even used a tea bag twice, . . it came from years of deprivation during WW2, . . it must've been very hard to make ends meet.

My mum never lost the skills she learned in the machine shops, . . she was a skilled turner and got a job in the 60's making brass ferrules.
nero
Central Scotland

11-11-2009, 05:11 PM

buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Do you remember these girls Joan ?

Sure do they were GREAT.
buzzie
USA

11-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Do you remember Rosie the Riveter??
buzzie
USA

11-11-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
My mum and dad were always frugal, . . they never wasted anything, . . my mum even used a tea bag twice, . . it came from years of deprivation during WW2, . . it must've been very hard to make ends meet.

My mum never lost the skills she learned in the machine shops, . . she was a skilled turner and got a job in the 60's making brass ferrules.
My Mother and Dad were married during the depression and had one new piece of furniture, a sewing cabinet, everything else gently worn and given to them. People who lived through those times never forgot it and were savers til their dying day. I think a little bit of what is happening today might very well be a good thing for some.

I remember all the rationing and I laugh when I think back to some of it and when we had a movie and then a stage show with it and paid to get in by bringing a piece of steel to be used to make new equipment for the war.

Your Mother sounded like a wonderful hard working person. Our parents generation was made up of some wonderful people.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
People who lived through those times never forgot it and were savers til their dying day. I think a little bit of what is happening today might very well be a good thing for some.
You are so so right there Joan, in recent times I think some people have lost touch with reality, they thought the 'good' times would just go on forever and never saved for a rainy day, well the rainy day has arrived and it's come as shock to certain people. My Dad always lectured me about the need to save, I'm glad I followed his advice. He suffered in the 1930's as did nearly everyone in those days.

As for Glenn Millar, well I've got loads of his music, mostly on old style cassettes (I really should get some Cd's) he is someone who I greatly admire, not just for the music, but for his talent and dedication, the precision of his music is what makes it great and apart from the top classical orchestras I doubt there are any modern musicians who could replicate it.
buzzie
USA

14-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
You are so so right there Joan, in recent times I think some people have lost touch with reality, they thought the 'good' times would just go on forever and never saved for a rainy day, well the rainy day has arrived and it's come as shock to certain people. My Dad always lectured me about the need to save, I'm glad I followed his advice. He suffered in the 1930's as did nearly everyone in those days.

As for Glenn Millar, well I've got loads of his music, mostly on old style cassettes (I really should get some Cd's) he is someone who I greatly admire, not just for the music, but for his talent and dedication, the precision of his music is what makes it great and apart from the top classical orchestras I doubt there are any modern musicians who could replicate it.
I agree Harvey, although I love much of the later music some of the big bands of that era were just the tops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top