Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Anyone else have (or had) side-effects from statin use?

In September, my doctor put me on Lipitor for high cholesterol. The last couple of weeks I've had muscle weakness in my arms and especially my legs. Some days I have to force myself to walk across the room. As of today, I'm stopping them. I can't go on like this anymore. And lately I've just felt like crap in general, including loss of appetite.

So I was wondering if anyone else here has had negative effects from statins and, if you stopped taking them, did the symptoms eventually go away? Did you have loss of appetite, muscle weakness or dizziness?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 03:31 PM

Re: Anyone else have (or had) side-effects from statin use?

My husband is on Statins and has suffered dizzy spells, not good when he has bouts of benign vertigo - he's also thinking of giving them up. He also feels nauseous in the mornings and tired quite a lot more than he used to.

Not all good news, is it?
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
My husband is on Statins and has suffered dizzy spells, not good when he has bouts of benign vertigo - he's also thinking of giving them up. He also feels nauseous in the mornings and tired quite a lot more than he used to.

Not all good news, is it?
No, it certainly isn't. I too feel nauseous in the mornings, sometimes throughout the day and I've been getting these bizarre attacks of dry heaves. Had a bad one the other day driving home from work. I had to pull over and sit there for a few minutes until it passed. Don't know if that's because of the statin, but I still occasionally get the heaves. I've had them this morning as well.

And talk about tired, good gravy, I could go back to bed right now. And taking a nap does no good. I wake up feeling worse than I did before I laid down.

Food doesn't appeal to me anymore and I feel like the walking dead.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 03:41 PM

I was put on Statins and after two weeks the pains in my calfs were so bad it was uncomfortable to walk , So i came off them.My Doctors mentioned me going on them again , I told them NO Walking is the only exercise i can do now .,He understood .
Linda0818
USA

06-11-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I was put on Statins and after two weeks the pains in my calfs were so bad it was uncomfortable to walk , So i came off them.My Doctors mentioned me going on them again , I told them NO Walking is the only exercise i can do now .,He understood .
I wouldn't go back on them either. It's amazing how one prescription drug can cause us to miss something most people take for granted every day - walking.

Sometimes my legs feel like lead weights, sometimes they feel like jello.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 03:47 PM

I got cramp at nights so..........more tablets (quinine) to counteract that.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 03:55 PM

After more than 12 years of Simvastatins I have had no side effects at all.
Linda0818
USA

06-11-2014, 05:19 PM

It's funny, I used to be able to take just about anything without problems. Now just about any medication I take messes me up in one way or another.

It sucks getting old.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

06-11-2014, 05:50 PM

I take Atorvastatin 40mg as my cholesterol levels are very high. It is not due to diet, but an inherited condition on my father's side of the family. My sisters have it and so do two of my three daughters. I don't think I have ever felt 100% since I started on statins a few years ago. I was put on Atorvastatin a year ago and now my Gamma GT levels and liver function levels are higher than they should be, not seriously so, but enough for the doctor to suggest I cut out alcohol, which I did six months ago. I used to have a small, and I mean small, whisky each evening. I can't say I have missed it, but would be a bit sorry if I couldn't enjoy a glass of wine with my Christmas dinner. I have another blood test next week, and will see what gives then.
Linda0818
USA

06-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Yeah, I didn't think of that, as I like my whisky as well. But I'm tired of feeling poopy, so I'm going to see if there are other alternatives.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top