Join for free
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:49 PM

Re: Genealogy

It certainly is - have been searching for a long time. Even that professional genealogist friend of Sweetie Pie couldn't find them! They were both born after the 1801 Irish census and both died before the 1901 census - most inconsiderate of them - but thanks to the lovely cache of Mass Cards - I have found them at last.

Also - possibly - my Great x 3 Grandfather - need to delve a bit deeper into that one - not tonight though - I have a headache and have gone cross-eyed. Need tea, toast, and sleep.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:58 PM

I know how you feel .. I bet you can't quite believe your luck and you shan't be able to sleep now the hunt is on.

Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
My aunt died recently at the age of 96 & within a week of her passing, her daughter skipped about 20 of her photo albums heartlessly. I was just too slow to save them.
Oh that is so sad Robert!

I have recently found a couple of love letters that my mother wrote to my father just after the start of WW2. He was a London Metropolitan policeman at the start of the war and for some reason he was away from my mother who was busy manufacturing me. I arrived a couple of months after the war started. The letters really made me realise how much in love they were. I never doubted it but it was movingly re-inforced.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->

I have recently found a couple of love letters that my mother wrote to my father just after the start of WW2. He was a London Metropolitan policeman at the start of the war and for some reason he was away from my mother who was busy manufacturing me. I arrived a couple of months after the war started. The letters really made me realise how much in love they were. I never doubted it but it was movingly re-inforced.
How lovely!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

10-10-2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I know how you feel .. I bet you can't quite believe your luck and you shan't be able to sleep now the hunt is on.

You are right there, Morti. Was tossing and turning so much the cats stalked off to sleep on the floor in the hall. Was naughty enough to go back to Ancestry somewhere around 4:00am. Among the Mass cards was one for Marianne Kavanagh - I had put that to one side - didn't recognise the surname - thought it could be just a family friend.

Wrong!! She is my G x 3 grandfather's niece!!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 07:41 AM

Some lovely posts on this thread I'm envious of all your finds, I wonder what we will leave behind for our kids to find.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

10-10-2018, 05:34 PM

Yipee!! Just found my Great Grandma's sister!

She became a nun when she was only 16yrs and died in 1878 at age 26yrs.
The Mass card mentioned a Dominican convent in Wicklow, Eire, and - guess what - it is still there. Took a chance and emailed them and they have confirmed that she died there and is buried in the convent cemetery. Better still they have sent my details to their archivist in Dublin to see if they have any further information - next of kin, cause of death etc., Can hardly wait to see if they reply.

How about that??!!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

The Mass card mentioned a Dominican convent in Wicklow, Eire, and - guess what - it is still there. Took a chance and emailed them and they have confirmed that she died there and is buried in the convent cemetery. Better still they have sent my details to their archivist in Dublin to see if they have any further information - next of kin, cause of death etc., Can hardly wait to see if they reply.

How about that??!!
Wow Tabby, I can tell how excited you are.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

How about that??!!
One word ..... fantastic!
Your family tree will be growing tentacles at this rate. ... and a good bit of detective work there too if I may say so.
But how young to die.
You start to try to picture them don't you ... real people ... what happened to them.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

11-10-2018, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Wow Tabby, I can tell how excited you are.
I certainly am, SP. Your friend very kindly offered to trace my great grandma - but have not heard from her since - so am guessing she could not find her. These Mass Cards have proved invaluable in the few days since they arrived - I now have found both missing great grand parents - and two great great grand parents - along with several other family members.

Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top