Join for free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 08:44 AM

Peripheral Nuropoathy.

Peripheral Neuropathy.

Anyone had experience of the more debilitating aspects of this.

In particular almost total loss of mobility due to loss of feeling in legs and feet, tingling in mouth / lips, and diminished eyesight.

Was it temporary and how long before it improved ?

There is little pain but near total loss of feeling below the knee, this has been on the increase for a few days now.

Currently on Gabapentin, anything other that may help. ?

Ive had 3 falls in the last 24hours, any info helpful before contacting GP to discuss things.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 09:32 AM

Re: Peripheral Nuropoathy.

I have had it for a few years now as a result of my Diabetes.
I take Gabapentin but it only diffuses the numbness slightly, feet, legs and hands are the worst affected, but I have learned to live with it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 01:41 PM

TY. Malcolm, ive had the loss of feeling in extremities for a while and like yourself lived with it.

At the moment Its a stage further than that, have something like it happen before,which was brief, but at the moment its feeling more permanent, and if it cant be cured, may well lead to a wheelchair.

I had just begun to regain a degree of mobility,
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 01:51 PM

Nom, I think it would be wise to mention all this to your GP as soon as possible, maybe he/she will be able to help you or refer you to someone who can.

It's also a good idea to write down all your feelings and how it is affecting you, on paper and take it with you. Often, as in my case, I get home after seeing the doc and realise there was something I had forgotten to mention

I hope someone can help you soon.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 01:52 PM

I'm really sorry to read that your problem has got worse Nom and hope that your GP can offer some help.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 02:42 PM

Im sorry that your peripheral nueropathy has worsened Nom ,its an awful thing to suffer from...I have had it in my fingers and feet since having an over dose of chemotherapy last December,but mines variable and it has begun to dissipate very slowly so I should get more feeling back eventually.

I hope you can get some help and advice on coping with symptoms and that it doesnt come to a wheelchair for you ,I know it must be extremely frustrating to have this ...especially if you have pain with it too .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

01-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Thanks Aysa, the pain does seem to be well controlled by the Gabaprentin, and i managed most of yesterday, but struggled to walk,and just yards from my door collapsed, luckily people stopped and picked me up.

I do wonder if going on too insulin may help, i was offered this before, but which i suspect it wont help much with nerve damage that may be my current condition.

Good to hear that yours is dissipating somewhat though, i find that reassuring that mine may do the same.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 03:10 PM

I've suffered from it for a good number of years. Though my diabetes was diagnosed a few years after, no HCP has linked the two.

I'm on Pregabalin, increased to 150mg, twice a day.

The medication has helped, but I do sometimes get worsening tingles in the toes. Before being prescribed it, the pain was awful, so much burning and tingling. It was like my toes were being given electric shocks.

Hope you both feel ok.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 03:13 PM

I also have it in my feet and legs for many years now, when I rest and go to bed, I cannot feel any of my toes at all.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 03:15 PM

I was told that the damaged nerve endings would be very slow to repair...as small as a millimetre at a time...I keep my hands and feet warm at all times and Im hopeful of getting back all feeling eventually.

Ofc I dont have it anywhere near as bad as your nueropathy Nom but wish you all the best with dealing with it . I hope you can get some feeling back as that in itself gives you hope for the future

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top