Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 08:05 PM

Re: Getting fit for 2019 - Are you going to?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm not committing to get fit, I'm committing to get fitTER because I think I am already relatively fit after my healthy diet and fitness regime over the past 18 months.

I go to the gym regular and swim after each session. I also do a spin class once a week and a Zumba class once a week besides walking my dog.

I will continue on my healthy eating regime which I broke for one day (Christmas Day) but back to it on Boxing day.

I'm very lucky because I don't have any debilitating illness so I'm treasuring my ability to exercise whilst I can.

Incidentally, I have arthritis in my left knee which before I embarked on my healthy routine was debilitating and I was in a bad way, however, since losing all this weight I'm happy to report my arthritis is not NEARLY as painful and is definately much, much better.

Happy New Year!
I'll echo that scenario about the knee problem, Lion Queen. As you may remember I've had some similar issues over the past year with mine but they're virtually fine now, having weeded out various things which may have contributed to the pain. Mine being making sure I don't 'twist' my feet too far round without moving my legs - if you know what I mean, watching how I climb down the stairs and like yourself, keeping the weight at a reasonable level.

You do keep yourself very fit anyway as you say, so any extra exercise can only improve your already healthy state of physical effort
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 08:32 PM

Good Thread Floydy, As you know I like to do between 40 n 50 lengths 5/6 days a week, walk the dog every day and exercise the Clydes a few times a week. I can assure you that horse riding will give your thighs the best workout ever lol.
I just started back at the pool yesterday as it was shut for a few days over Christmas, But I have 5 days till it's shut again for New Year, so I'll be working hard till then.
As Floydy says it's a good time to start thinking about health issues and planning how to work around them, getting a wee bit fitter in the process.
Good Luck to all you new ones planning on doing it.

Why is this flipping pad changing my spelling all the time..... Fume. I have to keep editing it back.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 01:11 AM

I am ever in awe of how active everyone is on this forum. So many of you have resolved to keep moving despite some mounting challenges and I think that's a lot harder than working out when the machine is running smoothly. Do more, and do it more consistently than the year before is all it takes.

Carol, I have been wondering how you've been doing and am genuinely pleased to hear you are getting some relief! I respect you so much for the work you did in the water while I know you were still in a lot of pain, and I was wondering whether or not you think that time in the water helped in your improvement? You go get those hills!

Julie, when I brought my kids home from Russia, they were so malnourished that we literally spent the days eating. All day, every day . I put on a fair amount of weight for the first time in my life. When I decided to take it off, the only thing that worked for me was strictly counting calories. Everyone has their own strategies, but it really is calories in, calories out .

Pauline, in following up with what Julie said, there are several calculators online that can help you determine the maximum number of calories you can eat given your activity level. What worked for me was calculating this number, and then spending some time figuring out foods I enjoyed that were low in calories and high in nutrition. I literally emptied the pantry, freezer, and fridge of the "bad" foods. I also cut back on dining out - there are just too many hidden calories.

LionQueen, you attitude and program are awesome. You have done so well this year. You must be really proud of your progress and fitness .

Ffosse
, any walking you can do to maintain/build muscle and maintain your cardio fitness will help you sleep better, improve you metabolism, and give your body the strength to fight and heal. Just make sure that you are eating well enough to pair with any activity or you can leave yourself run down. I know you are have hit a rough patch, so good things your way.

I have a mighty challenging year ahead, so all the more reason for me to increase the weight bearing exercise and clean up my eating. Roxy suggested sewing up her/my mouth. I am thinking duct tape my do the trick.

2019 - On your mark...get set...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Hey Floydy, and all other fitness folks here - there is a documentary on telly next Wednesday, Jan. 2nd, Ch. 5 at 9 pm that might interest you.

It is called "The Big Fat Lies about Diet & Exercise."

It says -

"Documentary examining the pros and cons of the diet industry, expert contributors including Nutritionists, Dieticians, GP's, Cardiologists, Fitness trainers, and Psychologists, helping to explain why fat and carbs are actually good for us. Plus a look how sugar is as potentially addictive as cocaine, and how there is as much chlorine in a packaged Salad as in a swimming pool!"

I'll be watching it, sounds interesting.
It is on for 2 hours.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hey Floydy, and all other fitness folks here - there is a documentary on telly next Wednesday, Jan. 2nd, Ch. 5 at 9 pm that might interest you.

It says -

"Documentary examining the pros and cons of the diet industry, expert contributors including Nutritionists, Dieticians, GP's, Cardiologists, Fitness trainers, and Psychologists, helping to explain why fat and carbs are actually good for us. Plus a look how sugar is as potentially addictive as cocaine, and how there is as much chlorine in a packaged Salad as in a swimming pool!"

It is on for 2 hours.
Thanks Mups, I've set my timer
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 12:59 PM

I noticed in the paper today, an article telling women they too can get a six pack in just eight weeks. Is that really possible Floydy?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-12-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I noticed in the paper today, an article telling women they too can get a six pack in just eight weeks. Is that really possible Floydy?
It's possible for anyone who puts the effort in mate. The stomach muscles are actually situated just beneath the skin, so they can stand out slightly even following a few ab crunches or sit-ups, depending on the level you go to - weight/reps, etc. Like all muscles they need to be maintained though and not neglected for too long or they will disappear.

Do you/have you exercised much in the past, Longdogs? Apart from carrying your sacks of rubble that is?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 07:08 PM

It says -

It is on for 2 hours.
That sounds worth a watch to me Mups thanks for posting it
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It's possible for anyone who puts the effort in mate. The stomach muscles are actually situated just beneath the skin, so they can stand out slightly even following a few ab crunches or sit-ups, depending on the level you go to - weight/reps, etc. Like all muscles they need to be maintained though and not neglected for too long or they will disappear.

Do you/have you exercised much in the past, Longdogs? Apart from carrying your sacks of rubble that is?
I used to when I was younger. I dabbled in weight training when I was teenager and again when I was in my late twenties and also jogging - I never really got past the five mile mark but it was enough for what I needed. Got to love it in the end and felt so fit but an old knee injury stopped me doing it. I haven't done any proper training since although I do have fads of using the exercise bike. I am planning to start that again on Tuesday.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 07:55 PM

there is a documentary on telly next Wednesday, Jan. 2nd, Ch. 5 at 9 pm that might interest you.

It says -

Yep should be interesting but I've noticed before that mainstream TV usually doesn't tell the truth in regards to most things in this area. They rarely take on the sugar manufacturers for example.

Overall I find it depressing how many people start each New Year with these various resolutions to go on some form of diet. It's just a waste of effort.

Diets do not work. Period imho.

Any "diet" is by definition just a temporary eating change and as such will soon enough come to an end at which point normal service is resumed.

The focus is also completely wrong. Most dieters are looking to LOSE WEIGHT. What they should be doing is looking to be healthy. Weight loss is just a natural byproduct of being healthy.

The road to health (and thus subsequent body rebalancing of weight) lies in finally understanding and accepting that the body needs the right fuel to exist. Give it the right fuel and health follows.

It's a mind set we have to get into imho. Once you have that epiphany then it no longer matters what you "think" you like to eat and don't like to eat. It only matters to give the body the proper fuel it needs. It is just a machine like any other.

Many older people still bear their childhood food foibles which is pretty ridiculous. "Oh I can't eat green beans, I never touch 'em" and the like.

We have to put aside these mental discriminations and just give the body what it needs.

Diets will never ever work.

What is needed is this simple understanding of the body and the acceptance and determination to give it what it needs and to stop poisoning it with junk and harmful things.

That simple act rebalances everything, stops the body having to constantly expend valuable energy detoxing itself and instead lets it devote energy to regeneration and healing and streamlining. Health ensues and as part of that body weight is rebalanced.

The best resolution many people could make this New Year is to never go on a diet again.

Imho

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top