Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 11:57 PM

Re: Giving my lot a special Xmas Meal from WW2!

It was a bit before my time. I do read a lot of history though and I know that the American Soldiers who were in England during the time, and had to eat English rations, hated it. They claimed to have subsisted on mutton and Brussels sprouts. They were under the impression that Eisenhower was doing that to make them madder then hell and want to get out of England, back on American rations, and at the Germans.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 12:00 AM

My FIL used to eat it regularly and I couldn't look at him as it made me feel
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 12:09 AM

I reckon Ted's just saying that so's we all don't descend on him for supper Christmas Eve.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 07:52 AM

Yum yum yum !!! Maybe a bit more edible if it's in a stew with lots of chilli although I think I recall my dad occasionally eating tripe and you also need a clothes peg on your nose as the smell is something other worldly...I don't think anyone else in the house would eat it.

susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 10:02 AM

My dad ate a huge plateful in front of us kids regularly, oh dear it still looks awful . I wonder if it has a nice taste , I suppose it must do

Yucky not for me
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 10:06 AM

I wasn't around during the war but I do remember my Granddad eating tripe...maybe this is a Yorkshire thing but it was eaten raw with salt and vinegar.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Why not dig a couple of trenches under the table and fill them with mud so they can dangle their feet in them?
That is so funny!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
It was a bit before my time. I do read a lot of history though and I know that the American Soldiers who were in England during the time, and had to eat English rations, hated it. They claimed to have subsisted on mutton and Brussels sprouts. They were under the impression that Eisenhower was doing that to make them madder then hell and want to get out of England, back on American rations, and at the Germans.
I remember the American soldiers.

They were the ones with bars of chocolate and other luxuries.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top