Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Christmas & Boxing Day snacks.

Not quite sure why but as I get older I am not really one for big dinners.
My boy always tries to load my plate thinking that I still have the appetite that I used to have.
We actually used to love the challenge when we were both younger of stacking as much food on the plates as we could get on them. Then cleaning the plates and looking for more.

No what I am looking forward to these days are the snacks cheese or lamb or turkey breast (never been a leg man) with pickle/red cabbage/beetroot/gurkin or even a couple of spoons of piccalilli.
Then afterwards a nice lump of Chrissy pudding and maybe a mince pie or two although not to many of the mince pies they tend to taste like cardboard these days nothing like me granny used to make .
Merry Christmas to all.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 10:32 AM

Re: Christmas & Boxing Day snacks.

I agree longfellow large plates of food are not enjoyable anymore....as for snacks cheese nuts and grapes just give me those and sit me in a corner
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Lets have non of this shrinking plate nonsense now...turkey and all the trimmings less the sprouts of course, then some crimbo pud with brandy sauce.

Lovely and it only comes once a year so you have the rest of the year to eat sensibly.

Enjoy
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Perhaps a slightly smaller Christmas dinner for me - maybe not so many roasties. I'm still looking forward to the three full courses though.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Hey guys!..have a go at these share plate recipes. Just what you're after I think. But not particularly Christmassy. Just click on each picture for the full recipe.

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes...yqm1t3x?page=7
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Figures **** knows where they have put it this time.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Lets have non of this shrinking plate nonsense now...turkey and all the trimmings less the sprouts of course, then some crimbo pud with brandy sauce.

Lovely and it only comes once a year so you have the rest of the year to eat sensibly.

Enjoy
I still have the Xmas lunch solo..... I thought we were talking snacks in between seriously I'm like Carol I have the Xmas lunch with trimmings albeit not a big plate......thing is later I might need a little snack....it's Christmas so why not
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 02:37 PM

l thought this thread was about snacks too...like various fancy crisps, nuts, savoury biscuits and various cheeses, breadsticks dipped in Humous and other flavour dips. Yes, we have all those!

In the evening, we love turkey sandwiches with the pickled onions l make or beetroot or a relish.

On Boxing Day, always cold turkey, ham or pork with pickled onions, beetroot, stuffing and mashed potato.
I’m getting really hungry now but on the day, it will be a different story and l’ll be stuffed to the gunnels!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 03:16 PM

I've bought snacky bits today, for Boxing Day. Beetroot, pork pies, a slice of quiche, potato salad, and ham. There will also be the turkey, and maybe a few Pringles. Yum.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 03:40 PM

Isn't it strange how we seem to eat less as we age?
I would hate it if someone piled food onto my plate, I much prefer to have only what I know I will eat on the plate. And woe betide anyone who thinks it is okay to pre-pour gravy all over my food! I am so fussy, I only like gravy over the meat and whichever veg I pick up onto my fork, dip it into that same gravy if I want to!.
Whenever anyone piles up my plate, it makes me groan because I know then that I am going to have to eat as much as I can in order to not disappoint them. I wish the fashion would come back with everything served in separate dishes where one can help themselves. (you would see more bottom of the plate than food on mine.)
Then again, I have been known to have an extra Roastie at Christmas, I do love them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top