Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 07:52 PM

Re: Foxy on Tour

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I believe it was the red wine Mags, I only usually have a glass with my Sunday lunch, but we had a bottle with our meal every night while on board the ship. I suspected it might be the case so when we got home after my toe had settled down I deliberately had a couple of glasses on Sunday night and I was in so much pain in the early hours I couldn't go back to sleep.

Mrs Fox and me enjoying our New Years Eve banquet with plenty of red wine....

It sounds more than likely it was the red wine Bob ..... does that mean no more red wine for you?

What a lovely photo of you both, Bob..... you could pass as my bank manager there, except you look a lot more cheerful than him.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 08:07 PM

Oh very nice. Hope the weather is nice there. Are you wearing your signature khaki shorts?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Oh very nice. Hope the weather is nice there. Are you wearing your signature khaki shorts?
Thanks d00d, I'm back home now...
I had the shorts on but they were under the table....

It's funny you should say that though, it reminds me of my friend across the road. He gives online tutoring sessions on skype to aspiring poker players. White shirt, bowtie and jacket but below the table he only has on his under wangers and slippers....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
OGF
we are going with Viking cruise line on one of their long ships doing 4 countries in 15 days . Flying with them to Amsterdam first .

DAY 1 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
DAY 2 Kinderdijk, The Netherlands
DAY 3 Cologne, Germany
DAY 4 Koblenz, Germany
DAY 5 Miltenberg, Germany
DAY 6 Würzburg, Germany
DAY 7 Bamberg, Germany
DAY 8 Nuremberg, Germany
DAY 9 Regensburg, Germany
DAY 10 Passau, Germany
DAY 11 Melk, Austria
DAY 12 Vienna, Austria
DAY 13 Vienna, Austria
DAY 14 Budapest, Hungary
DAY 15 Budapest, Hungary

fly back from Budapest
Wow, that looks amazing realspeed.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 09:30 PM

Every port a tour included. We also added on some trips to fill 3 of the days as extras
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 05:17 AM

Let's see....cigarette butts, sore toe, red wine, Amsterdam, lovely dinners, and most handsome couple (good heavens, look at you in that tuxb), and ringing in the New Year.

Is about the summary of it, OGF?

It's ever a joy to travel along even if it is long past. Thank you for the photos and write-ups, OGF. It's a pleasure to read.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-01-2020, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Let's see....cigarette butts, sore toe, red wine, Amsterdam, lovely dinners, and most handsome couple (good heavens, look at you in that tuxb), and ringing in the New Year.

Is about the summary of it, OGF?

It's ever a joy to travel along even if it is long past. Thank you for the photos and write-ups, OGF. It's a pleasure to read.
Thanks Surfermom and yes that about sums it up nicely.......Oh but did I mention the machine at Blankenberge station that confiscated my debit card?

The thing is...When I was 14 years old I came to Blankenberge on a school holiday for a week. While swimming in the sea I was stung by a 'Portuguese Man O War' (A bit like a jellyfish but meaner and more deadly) I had to be visited by a doctor and it put me in bed for two days with excruciating pain, the worse pain I have ever endured since.

So what have I learned from this New Year Cruise.....?
The ship was too small and mealtimes were a nightmare....
We spent two days anchored up in Amsterdam....Boring!
I never got to use my dancing shoes......
Cruising is rubbish in the winter.....
And if God were to give the world an enema, Amsterdam and Zeebruges would be where the tube would be inserted.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

So what have I learned from this New Year Cruise.....?
The ship was too small and mealtimes were a nightmare....
We spent two days anchored up in Amsterdam....Boring!
I never got to use my dancing shoes......
Cruising is rubbish in the winter.....
Just curious as why you felt the ship was too small and why mealtimes were a nightmare.

I have only been on one cruise and the one thing I wouldn't complain about was the food and dining room service. So interested in your comments.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 05:43 AM

Well, OGF, it's always an adventure, so there's that!

One time I was out surfing when a flotilla of Portuguese man o'wars surrounded my while I was in the surfing lineup. I paddled in like I was in a minefield. I am sure you are still wincing just thinking about your sting.

I'm also wondering why you didn't like the small ship. How small was it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-01-2020, 10:08 PM

Thanks Surfermom and Bruce.
The Arcadia weighed in at 83,781 tons and was commissioned in 2005, so not actually a small ship. The food was exemplary, as usual on a P&O ship, and service in the evening dining restaurant was perfect. However, in the cafeteria type restaurant on the upper deck was impossible. The first half an hour was spent searching for an unoccupied table. There didn't appear to be the organisation that we have enjoyed on other P&O ships. So 2094 guests wandered around trying to find Tables, trays, cutlery and various breakfast items. One way systems operated on other ships with everything in order. ie. Handwash, trays and cutlery followed by serial and cooked breakfast items worked to perfection.

There seemed to be too many guests using the facilities. It was so bad that after the first three days we would go down to the lower restaurant to be seated and served, where incidentally, there was still a queue. On a summer cruise we usually avoid the main dining area for breakfast because you are not allowed in wearing unsuitable clothing, shorts and tee shirts etc, but in winter it's too cold for them so no problem.

Which reminds me of another thing that contributes to the congestion, A lot of passengers take breakfast outside on the decks, but these outside spaces are empty during the winter. The girls complained about the lack of shops onboard, and there was only one decent sized theatre, most other places were little more than large pubs. On sea days or bad weather days, everyone is confined to the interior of the ship which I suppose makes it seem more crowded in winter, unlike the summer where most guests are sunbathing, relaxing or swimming outside.

I did enjoy the cruise, but it will be my last winter one unless it's a world cruise down to Australia, and Amsterdam and Zeebruges will definitely be avoided in future.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top