Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 10:45 PM

Kitchen flooring.

On Tuesday I had a bit of an accident - slipped on a small drop of water on my kitchen floor & as I fell my ankle turned under me.

I decided I'd better go to A&E!! After seeing the doctor twice & having it x-rayed the verdict was ligament damage. I'm on crutches now & out of action for at least a fortnight. This is the second time I've slipped on that floor & ended up in A&E! The last time I cracked 3 ribs as I fell by falling into a radiator rack.

Why I've put this in the 'Home' forum is because I think I must change my flooring for something none slip.

My present floor is ceramic tiles - fine when dry but treacherous when wet!!

I wondered what type of floor you have in your kitchen & can you recommend one for an accident prone person like me?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 10:53 PM

Re: Kitchen flooring.

Yes, ceramic flooring is often EXTREMELY slippery when even slightly wet.
I have done a number of new floors when I renovated homes.
May I recommend either sheet linoleum or real wood flooring ?
On a microscopic level, both have tiny, tiny 'imperfections' which make for a much less slippery surface.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
On Tuesday I had a bit of an accident - slipped on a small drop of water on my kitchen floor & as I fell my ankle turned under me.

I decided I'd better go to A&E!! After seeing the doctor twice & having it x-rayed the verdict was ligament damage. I'm on crutches now & out of action for at least a fortnight. This is the second time I've slipped on that floor & ended up in A&E! The last time I cracked 3 ribs as I fell by falling into a radiator rack.

Why I've put this in the 'Home' forum is because I think I must change my flooring for something none slip.

My present floor is ceramic tiles - fine when dry but treacherous when wet!!

I wondered what type of floor you have in your kitchen & can you recommend one for an accident prone person like me?
Hope you soon recover from your fall Carol, being on crutches is not a lot of fun, apart from the pain as well. I've had some of that so am well aware of what that's like. It seems there are a lot of non-slip vinyls, even imitation wood, so plenty of choice. No personal experience of this flooring though, the link below is for one of the companies supplying it:

https://www.tapi.co.uk/vinyl/slip-resistant
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 11:46 PM

good link, Baz.
Buzzzer
USA
Buzzzer is male  Buzzzer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 05:40 AM

Oh, sorry to hear, hope you heal quickly. We have vinyl plank flooring. I don't know if it is slip resistant, but I have never slipped on it. It is similar to some of the flooring in Baz46's link.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:22 AM

Ouch carol, hope you heal soon
Our kitchen is almost complete, we are having karndene flooring fitted on Monday, extremely durable and non slip, it’s not cheap but looks nice
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Laminate flooring here Carol which seems non-slip. Hope your recovery goes well and isn't too painful.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:35 AM

We put this down or similar ,not really for kitchens but we've no issue with it and don't find it slippery should any water spill.

Take care Carol.

https://www.diy.com/departments/bish...2537038_BQ.prd

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:41 AM

Sorry you got hurt Carol.. hope it's not too painful now and you get better quickly.

I have polished travertine but it can be slippery so I wouldn't recommend it ...there are tiles you can buy that are sold as non slip...you might like to Google them.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 09:01 AM

I have laminate flooring in my kitchen and it has never felt slippery.

Hope you’ll feel better soon Carol...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top