Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 01:33 PM

Leaf puzzle

The plant in the black pot is supposed to be an Acer but whereas the leaves on the right are Acer leaves the ones on the left are different.

Two different varieties of leaves growing from the same tree!

Is this possible?

A closer look.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 02:15 PM

Re: Leaf puzzle

That shrub looks more than this year's baby Carol, so does this happen every year?

Maybe something to do with the original grafting rootstock?

See if this helps:

" Sometimes grafted rootstocks can sucker and send out shoots that revert to the type of growth of the original tree. If these suckers are not cut off and removed, it can overtake the growth of the graft. ... Sometimes scion branches on grafted trees simply die, and the rootstock is free to regrow."
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 02:26 PM

I agree with Mups
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 11:17 PM

Yes it happens every year.

The biggest part of the plant doesn't look like an Acer at all!!
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 05:27 PM

Hi Carol. Thank you for the wecome. Mups nailed it. Quite common with the Acers. You should cut this out as otherwise it may take over.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Hi Carol. Thank you for the wecome. Mups nailed it. Quite common with the Acers. You should cut this out as otherwise it may take over.

I agree, Takahashi, it needs cutting out. Only thing is, the 'sucker' part has got so big now, so there won't be much of the proper Acer left, do you think?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

04-07-2020, 11:17 PM

I don't really want to cut it out. I may just leave it & let it take over. Now I know it's common to Acers it doesn't worry me.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top