Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:13 AM

Aphid rampage

My garden has an infestation of blackfly, the likes of which I have never seen before!

Whilst it is quite usual to have a few on blackcurrant tips and a few on the runner beans which are easily dealt with, so many plants this year have been affected quite intensely. I refuse to use bug killer because of hurting any pollinators, so my only weapon at the moment is to spray with a dilute Fairy liquid solution, which I am having to do nearly every other day, particularly on the runner beans.

I don't know why it's so bad this year, maybe the result of a mild winter? Anyone else having the same problem?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:22 AM

Re: Aphid rampage

Barry I noticed one wigwam of runner beans was absolutely infested with black fly and having squished a few I decided I was fighting a losing battle and I wouldn't bother with the washing up liquid and hoped they wouldn't spread.

A few days later I was amazed to see the black fly were dead and the beans crawling with ants who I think must have 'drained' the blackfly killing them.

Next came lots of little birds (too small to identify from the window) feeding on the bean plants.

I still have lots of beans and feel my leaving it to nature has been rewarded
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:31 AM

We have a few ladybirds on the beans and a few ants, but I always thought that ants "farmed" the aphids to feast on the honeydew, rather than kill them?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We have a few ladybirds on the beans and a few ants, but I always thought that ants "farmed" the aphids to feast on the honeydew, rather than kill them?
I don't now Barry I was amazed to see all the blackfly not moving/ dead and still covering the poles and the ants moving among them
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 01:13 PM

Barry, I haven't tried this, but have always meant to though.
Have a try at this recipe:

1 x head of garlic
1 x Tablespoon of dish soap (not containing any bleach)
2 x Tablespoons of mineral or vegetable oil
2 x cups of water.

Peel and puree the garlic cloves along with the oil and water.
Allow this to sit over night and then strain the mixture off.
Add the soap and mix thoroughly.
Then pour into your spray bottle and use on infested plants.

There's more here:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/spe...st-control.htm
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

28-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

1 x head of garlic
2 x cups of water.

There's more here:

Hi Mups I tried it a couple of years ago, what a faff doing it and I found it was no more effective than washing up liquid /water/squishing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Mups I tried it a couple of years ago, what a faff doing it and I found it was no more effective than washing up liquid /water/squishing.

Oh, OK Meg.
I have not tried it myself, never got round to it, thought I would have thought the Garlic would have helped repel them though?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 02:06 PM

My garden has an infestation of blackfly, the likes of which I have never seen before!

Whilst it is quite usual to have a few on blackcurrant tips and a few on the runner beans which are easily dealt with, so many plants this year have been affected quite intensely. I refuse to use bug killer because of hurting any pollinators, so my only weapon at the moment is to spray with a dilute Fairy liquid solution, which I am having to do nearly every other day, particularly on the runner beans.

I don't know why it's so bad this year, maybe the result of a mild winter? Anyone else having the same problem?
Same here Barry little beggars have destroyed my nasturtiums and have advanced on the beans .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

28-07-2020, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

1 x head of garlic
2 x cups of water.

There's more here:

Crikey Mups, that sounds more like a spell than a recipe, I didn't know you were part of the local coven...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-07-2020, 03:21 PM

Crikey Mups, that sounds more like a spell than a recipe, I didn't know you were part of the local coven...

Haha, you never know, Barry . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top