Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 02:44 AM

Ban ads for polluting large cars, report says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53607147

A new campaign called "Badvertising" is demanding an immediate end to adverts for large polluting cars.

It says the government should clamp down on sports utility vehicle (SUV) car adverts in the way it curbed smoking ads.

A car industry spokesperson said modern SUVs are the cleanest in history, and said many can run on batteries.

But a leading academic said sales of big polluting cars will breach UK climate targets, and should be banned.

SUVs now make up more than 4-in-10 new cars sold in UK, while fully electric vehicles account for fewer than two in a hundred.

The authors of the report point out that even electric engines won’t solve all the problems with SUVs.

That’s because they will still pollute the air through particles rubbing off brakes and tyres, and use up carbon-emitting resources to make their heavy batteries.

In urban areas, big SUVs are a particular nuisance, they say. Their report found that 150,000 new cars on the road are too big for a standard UK street parking space.

The authors want to outlaw advertising for cars with average emissions of over 160g CO2/km, and those exceeding 4.8m in length.

Professor Jillian Anable, from the Leeds University Transport Studies Unit, said the government needs to see the big picture on cars - and consider banning large polluting models altogether.

"(Given our CO2 targets) there is a clear trade off to be made: the more we can shrink the size and weight of the cars we drive, the less we will have to restrict how much they are driven.

"We ought to be thinking about not allowing large polluting cars to be sold into the UK market at all."

She added: "Our research shows an approach where the most polluting cars are phased out from now over the next 10-15 years will be more effective than the government’s proposed ‘cliff-edge’ target date in the future where petrol and diesel cars are suddenly no longer allowed to be sold."
SUVs are for MUGs - Ban 'em, ban 'em all …..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 08:53 AM

Re: Ban ads for polluting large cars, report says

So I should do away with my Nissan Xtrail 7 seat 1.6cc diesel one then that does 45/50MPG around the houses?

I don't think so, Better to ban any car over 2.0 cc they are the ones polluting the atmosphere
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 10:45 AM

I've never seen any adds for the Land Rovers we use. But ban them, Not on your life, they are well used work horses on the farm, and used off road hauling horse boxes.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
So I should do away with my Nissan Xtrail 7 seat 1.6cc diesel one then that does 45/50MPG around the houses?

I don't think so, Better to ban any car over 2.0 cc they are the ones polluting the atmosphere
Um........
I get better than 60 mph. And 2.2 mph.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 03:42 PM

It would be far better to only produce sub 1Litre gas engines. Our car is a sub 1L + zero road tax and its serves its designed purpose very well indeed. With modern efficient engine technology, large capacities are not required for a quick getaway or relaxed 70 mph cruising.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 04:11 PM

So how often do you fill 7 seats in a 2-ton 4x4 car to go round the houses .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-08-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I've never seen any adds for the Land Rovers we use. But ban them, Not on your life, they are well used work horses on the farm, and used off road hauling horse boxes.
I think your Land Rovers will be safe - they're obviously not "Chelsea Tractors" .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-08-2020, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
It would be far better to only produce sub 1Litre gas engines. Our car is a sub 1L + zero road tax and its serves its designed purpose very well indeed. With modern efficient engine technology, large capacities are not required for a quick getaway or relaxed 70 mph cruising.
Indeed ..... my 3-cylinder, 1.0 litre Fiesta Zetec S does 55 mpg while being able to do 0-60 mph in 9 seconds and to reach 125 mph - it is road-tax free (low emission) and insured as a standard Fiesta .....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 05:29 PM

Having just bought an suv I don’t agree..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Um........
I get better than 60 mph. And 2.2 mph.
but what car is it? a 7 seater SUV? I doubt it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top