Join for free
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 09:56 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by summer ->
Ginger sounds lovely..Jem I always come here to read your little bedtime story before I go off to dreamland ..
.just plain nosey I guess
I enjoy the nightly bedtime stories too Summer, they are better than most library books! 😀
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 09:58 PM

Thank you Summer and Mags.
I’m glad that no one takes it all seriously, it’s just a lot of ramblings from an old man.

Spitty, I heard when Johnny Cash’s parents were alive charities all over America were eager to sign them up, they did such a great job raising Cash. Oh God!

Talking of bedtime stories.

I remember at school when the teacher was telling us kids the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, we were only nippers and the nuns were in charge of the little boys in the convent school, although they did employ outside teachers as in our class, anyway a very righteous grumpy middle aged nun, Sister Mary Martin, was standing by as the tale was being told.

The lady teacher got to the part where the evil Queen sent the huntsman out to the forest to kill Snow White, the next night the Queen looks into the magic mirror and asks.

“Mirror mirror tell me tonight
Whatever happened to Snow White?”

The mirror replies.

“Snow White lives in a forest glen
In a pretty little cottage, with seven little men”

Stop! stop!” Shouts Sister Mary Martin, “You’ll corrupt the children. she’s not even married to any of them”

Randy little buggers ain’t they.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 10:20 PM

Now we all have to make sure we’re in the right bubble, the daughter was here today and she kept her distance, seems she’s not in our bubble, she’s in her own family bubble and the two bubbles cannot merge.

So many changes being made so quickly and it doesn’t seem to be working, we’re still in the manure business with this thing, they even changed the name from coronavirus to covid-19 for God knows why, everybody around here just calls it “The Thing”

The old trick of changing the name of something bad still crops up, British Nuclear Fuels changed the name of the unpopular nuclear power station Windscale after the 1957 disaster, to Sellafield in 1981 in the hope that the memory of that tragic event would fade from peoples minds and they would embrace nuclear power, it didn’t work, but try as they may, a rose by any other name is still a rose, danger by any other name is still danger.

There will be major changes in the way we used to live when this thing eases off.
I have great sympathy for the young and not so young lovers. can you imagine the heartache of two lovers being in different bubbles?, It would be akin to each of them being on the opposite side of the old Berlin wall while a sadistic Russian guard in a watchtower laughed down at them and blasted out “I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles” from the tannoy.
And she wrote
"Josh my Darling, I’m full of worry
For I think I am in trouble
We got together in an awful hurry
And now I have a bubble"

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 10:36 PM

I dunno, not a fat lot has changed if I remember right, Egos have kept young folks aloof, for at least four decades past. They may as well have been in a bubble.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

09-10-2020, 09:53 PM

There was a bit of a problem over the last few weeks with our dog Rocky, some nights he would just get into his basket bed and sleep when we went to bed, other nights he would start scratching the living room door and wouldn’t stop till somebody came down to him, usually me.

The obvious guess was he wanted out to do his thing, but not so, he stayed put, it was a real puzzle.
Herself was moaning about her door getting deep scratches so next day after the first night of scratching I cut out a panel of tough plastic sheet to save the door and used double-sided reusable tape to hold it in place, still on some nights he would just sleep all night without going near the door, why was he engaging in this strange behaviour?, so I started to ponder the problem.

Finally I came up with what could be the answer to this riddle, I figured that when I was last up to bed, which was more likely, he would not scratch the door, but if the wife was last up, which had been happening a lot of late, he would.

When I suggested to Phyllis to make sure she went to bed first and the dog sees her going, she just laughed and said I was daft, but I insisted she give it a try if she wanted to keep him away from the newly varnished door.

It worked!, it seems Rocky is so attached to her that he pines for her when he sees her going up to bed last, but if she goes up when I’m still there he’s satisfied, same as when she goes out to the shops or wherever, when I’m last up he couldn’t give a damn, the cheek of him after all I’ve done for him, I think he blames me that the pubs are shut and he can’t get his saucer of Guinness after his walk.

Do you think I got any thanks for solving the problem? not a bit of it, all I got was “Ah sure I knew that all along”. It’s enough to drive a Saint to drink.

I had the doghouse blues earlier but a few glasses of port soon fixed that, yipeeee, take it away Mr. Monroe!

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:58 PM

Just leave the door open, it is a signal to the mutt, once the mutt is given options, it will curl up on the sofa, no problemo.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

11-10-2020, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Just leave the door open, it is a signal to the mutt, once the mutt is given options, it will curl up on the sofa, no problemo.
Good idea Spitty, thanks, but what if he climbs the stairs and starts to scratch the bedroom door?
Momma don’t allow no mutts in the bedroom, ‘cept me.

Besides I’m beginning to like the idea of herself going up earlier and leaving me in peace for that extra hour or two.
Also I can watch whatever I fancy on the big TV, or play some old music from the 60’s, and I don’t have to look at those mushy romantic films or the endless repeat quiz shows she loves to watch.
Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, the hand of God works in strange ways as they say.
Never knew God was in Strangeways, what was the crime?

TEXAS TEEN HAS THE WORLD’S LONGEST LEGS

”Maci Currin isn't all legs, but they do make up 60 percent of her total height.
The 17-year-old from Cedar Park, Texas, broke two Guinness World Records: one for having the longest legs for a female, and another for a teenager with the longest legs.
Her left leg is over 53 inches long, while her right leg is slightly shorter, at 52.874 inches, according to Guiness.

In a video posted on the group's YouTube channel, Currin's mother talks about realizing that her daughter was taller than her peers at an early age.
"I guess there's some kind of gene in there that gives her that tallness," her mother said in the video.
Currin is 6-foot-10. Her father was 6-foot-5, her brother is 6-foot-4 and her mother is 5-foot-7.” (CNN)

Her legs are about 4’5” long!, some legs!
The first thing that came into my mind as I saw this news item was wouldn’t this girl make an ideal athlete?
The long jump, the pole vaulting, running etc., I mean if she was in the 100 metres dash and she fell she’d be halfway there.
I hope this young lady has a very bright future ahead of her, she’s pretty as well.

All my three brothers were taller than me, I’m 5’ 8” and was always happy with that, never had any wish to be taller. The wife is an inch smaller than me but she has longer legs than me.
Most women seem to have longer legs than men for some reason, maybe it’s in their genes originating from running away from the randy chasing cavemen.
The other side of the coin is like when the girl told her casual boyfriend she was pregnant, then asked him what steps he’ll be taking.
“Long ones my dear.”
The dirty rat.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-10-2020, 10:31 PM

My missus has a great appetite, she always had and I know her since she was a child, her mother and mine were great friends living in the same neighbourhood and we had many meals together in either her house or mine as children.
I enjoy a good meal too, but food is just food to me, body timber to keep the engine going, you have to have it or cease to exist, I don’t give it a lot of thought except when I feel hungry, and I’ve stopped eating meat several years ago, not because I feel guilty about eating other creatures and I was never over fond of meat anyway, I just went off it rather suddenly, didn’t fancy it anymore.
Although seeing a video years ago of a woman dying of the human equivalent of mad mad cow disease never left my mind, I wish I’d never seen it, but it’s possible my subconscious might have triggered me to give up meat, who knows.

Still I wouldn’t go preaching to others to give up meat, it was just a personal decision on my part so good luck to all the meat eaters and may they enjoy their meals forever.

There is an ad on TV that annoys me, the name alone is an out an out statement glorifying gluttony, “JUST EAT”’.
While governments all over the place are spending millions trying to get people to watch what they eat and how often they eat, out comes an ad telling everyone to “Just eat” The mind boggles.

What kind of brain came up with that stupid name, “JUST EAT”?, it was founded by a Dane (Jesper Buch) in 2001 and the name could have lost something in translation, but to me it sounds vulgar and it smacks of complete indifference to the customer, “Give us your money now, shut up, and just eat.”

They tell gamblers to “Gamble sensibly” and drinkers to “Drink sensibly”, why not tell folks to “Eat sensibly”?.

What would our good citizens look like if all they did was “Just eat”?, talk about the health service being over whelmed as it is now, I shudder to think what it would be like if everyone JUST ATE.

Phyllis used to a devil for eating Frankfurter sandwiches, she would eat them till the cows come home then eat the cows if she could.
So every night I used to bring her Frankfurter sandwiches, and she would say Thanks for the sandwiches.
Sorry but this song has been ringing in me ears all day, some of you oldies might remember it from 1961.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 10:42 PM

I remember that song Jem, a good ole foot-tapper too.

They don't make 'em like that these days!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

13-10-2020, 07:00 AM

Jem, Birds with long legs, just eating!! Its got to be said, did you notice the size of the young ladies "Plates of Meat".

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top