Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 03:26 PM

Re: Animals and their uses

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
A bit strange that no one has answered my question about whether they use animal products, what are they trying to hide?
Because it is totally immaterial and a pathetic attempt to divert from the base issue. It is a classic example of "whataboutary".

That aside here's our status. Do we eat meat? The flesh of some animals yes. I've eaten many meats that many folk would turn their noses up at. The only fleshes that I have avoided is that of primates.

Do I wear leather? Certainly. Moreover my car has real leather interior.

But that is totally immaterial to my views on the relationship between people and animals in a domestic environment and also when being husbanded in a commercial environment.

I guess a lot comes down to how we see ourselves in the world. I don't see myself as the top of the tree of nature. I'm not that bloody arrogant or conceited.

As for the behaviour of animals in nature, that's another diversion. The subject is the relationship between man and nature.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

01-08-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I believe they are now testing meds for Corona virus on humans, along with the vaccines, so when humans are overtaken by robots I wonder if those robots will justify their actions, by experimenting on people who were less kind to animals and viewed them as inferior beings?

Just asking, as humans will not remain top of the pile forever!
I believe the vaccines were tested on animals first.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Nope, the Daleks will be.............EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE (HUMANS) LOL
Daleks are not robots, they're an extraterrestrial race of mutants according to Wiki.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

01-08-2020, 04:08 PM

I have four daleks, which will exterminate anyone who doesn't see it my way.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterminate.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	13420  
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Well let's see eh?

Take your last sentence. "Whataboutary" is ALWAYS a very poor thing to employ when trying to deflect from something.

In this case the use/abuse of animals was focusing on the way that one particular dog was treated but let's set that aside.

We then moved on to the use of animals as a resource. That's fine too however the class "animal" is much too wide a class, it needs to be decomposed into animals bred to be a resource and animals that we live with in a domestic environment and then further decomposed into animals that work with us and animals that we primarily establish an emotional relationship with.

Sometimes the boundaries become blurred which is great and when an animal joins ones family - and they do join one's family - the whole relationship dynamics change.

Maybe it's just my perspective but rather than seeing people as being the top of a pile I don't. Instead I see us as part of an interdependent group. A gestalt. Not even the natural alpha predator.

And do on that basis alone we need to abandon this bullshit about being the top of a "pile" or having the right to do with what is below is on this imaginary "pile" as we want and best suits us.

It's a totally rubbish paradigm to base ANYTHING on.
YES! Who says we are at the top of the pile?
Only the arrogant ones who find it ok to use all animals for their benefit.

Humans, by far, are the most dangerous animal on earth. Other animals have lived on earth for millions of years without destroying it. Humans have been here a few hundred thousand and will strip the earth of everything in the name of power and money. Humans have egos. Animals don’t.

Many of the things we do to other species who we share the earth with , are horrendous. The way humans are headed, is into extinction. We don’t know how to share our the earth with others

Don’t even get me started with those who purchase dogs merely to protect their property.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I believe they are now testing meds for Corona virus on humans, along with the vaccines, so when humans are overtaken by robots I wonder if those robots will justify their actions, by experimenting on people who were less kind to animals and viewed them as inferior beings?

We can hope, Twink, we can hope!

Just asking, as humans will not remain top of the pile forever!
I do not regard humans as top of the heap anyway - but a long, long, way down!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Isaac Asimov established the 3 Laws of Robotics in 1942. These are:
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Asimov later added the "Zeroth" Law, which takes precedence over the above 3 Laws: A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
Asimov was/is a person - people will say anything - doesn't mean that robots have to understand or obey laws which they had no hand in making!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

01-08-2020, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Because it is totally immaterial and a pathetic attempt to divert from the base issue. It is a classic example of "whataboutary".

That aside here's our status. Do we eat meat? The flesh of some animals yes. I've eaten many meats that many folk would turn their noses up at. The only fleshes that I have avoided is that of primates.

Do I wear leather? Certainly. Moreover my car has real leather interior.

But that is totally immaterial to my views on the relationship between people and animals in a domestic environment and also when being husbanded in a commercial environment.

I guess a lot comes down to how we see ourselves in the world. I don't see myself as the top of the tree of nature. I'm not that bloody arrogant or conceited.

As for the behaviour of animals in nature, that's another diversion. The subject is the relationship between man and nature.
The sweet voice of reason!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

01-08-2020, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
I believe the vaccines were tested on animals first.
Good reason for not partaking.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

01-08-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
YES! Who says we are at the top of the pile?
Only the arrogant ones who find it ok to use all animals for their benefit.

Humans, by far, are the most dangerous animal on earth. Other animals have lived on earth for millions of years without destroying it. Humans have been here a few hundred thousand and will strip the earth of everything in the name of power and money. Humans have egos. Animals don’t.

Many of the things we do to other species who we share the earth with , are horrendous. The way humans are headed, is into extinction. We don’t know how to share our the earth with others

Don’t even get me started with those who purchase dogs merely to protect their property.
Good post, Bratti.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top