Join for free
Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 05:44 PM

Re: Manual (stick shift)or Automatic transmission

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yes, but, I have tried more than once, starting off, accelerating gently, felt/heard six, barely-noticeable, changes, making the equivalent of a total of seven "gears". Thingy on the dash just remains in "D". If I shove the Auto lever to the right I go up through the gears and they are numbered on the dash; if I push to the left I then go down through the gears, again numbered on the dash.
I didn't know that they were numbered.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 06:09 PM

No contest - definitely manual for me. I've driven all sorts of cars and vans be it manual or automatic but only ever owned a manual. If I had to resort to automatic, that'd be the death knell for me - I think I'd give up.

There's something about using those gears and controlling the car around the roads and bends that goes with all the sense of anticipation and alertness for whatever lies ahead. That feeling of being at one with the car. Being in control. I don't feel that in an automatic. For me automatics are just a chunk of metal that you sit in and it drives you, not you drive it. It's just a drive - not an experience if anyone understands what I mean.

I loved driving with a passion. Passed my test in '67, became a driving instructor in '73 and passed the advanced motorist then too. Loved that job, really, really, really loved that job. Friends/family say that's the happiest they ever saw me work wise. Dad taught me well, he was in the police. The few lessons I had with an instructor before taking the test was with an ex police instructor.
I've never forgotten him asking me to walk to his car, which was parked away from his house. He told me later it was his way to gauge if a pupil was going to be a good driver (or not). He saw me as a good drive by the way I walked (go figure that ).

I drive a manual 'tootler' city type now, 999cc. I tootle. No passion for it, but it's friendly enough. Reliable and serves it's purpose by getting me where I want to be full stop. No gizmos or bells and whistles like reversing cameras or whatever cars do these days - gawd I'd hate all that. The only gizmo is the electric windows (front only)

My only regret driving wise is that I never took lessons or test in an HGV.

Sorry for the ramblings .... driving is just something I (used) to love
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I didn't know that they were numbered.
I don’t think it’s numbered not like manual transmission. Could be wrong?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
No contest - definitely manual for me. I've driven all sorts of cars and vans be it manual or automatic but only ever owned a manual. If I had to resort to automatic, that'd be the death knell for me - I think I'd give up.

There's something about using those gears and controlling the car around the roads and bends that goes with all the sense of anticipation and alertness for whatever lies ahead. That feeling of being at one with the car. Being in control. I don't feel that in an automatic. For me automatics are just a chunk of metal that you sit in and it drives you, not you drive it. It's just a drive - not an experience if anyone understands what I mean.

I loved driving with a passion. Passed my test in '67, became a driving instructor in '73 and passed the advanced motorist then too. Loved that job, really, really, really loved that job. Friends/family say that's the happiest they ever saw me work wise. Dad taught me well, he was in the police. The few lessons I had with an instructor before taking the test was with an ex police instructor.
I've never forgotten him asking me to walk to his car, which was parked away from his house. He told me later it was his way to gauge if a pupil was going to be a good driver (or not). He saw me as a good drive by the way I walked (go figure that ).

I drive a manual 'tootler' city type now, 999cc. I tootle. No passion for it, but it's friendly enough. Reliable and serves it's purpose by getting me where I want to be full stop. No gizmos or bells and whistles like reversing cameras or whatever cars do these days - gawd I'd hate all that. The only gizmo is the electric windows (front only)

I could just see you pesta....in your 18 wheeler eating your yorkie bar
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

Hi, that’s wonderful to hear. There’s an old Honda Accord (2009) V6 engine, 6 speed parked in the garage. I still take it out now and then to ‘feel’ the car. Still a beaut to drive! In fact, I am taking it for a run tomorrow!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I could just see you pesta....in your 18 wheeler eating your yorkie bar
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
I don’t think it’s numbered not like manual transmission. Could be wrong?
Let's see what Dood says.............
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-10-2020, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Hi, that’s wonderful to hear. There’s an old Honda Accord (2009) V6 engine, 6 speed parked in the garage. I still take it out now and then to ‘feel’ the car. Still a beaut to drive! In fact, I am taking it for a run tomorrow!
Hiya Minx and sorry, I didn't welcome you

Enjoy yourself tomorrow
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 07:52 PM

We've always had manual gearboxes and are quite used to them.
We're getting a new car next March and will probably remain with manual, though we have thought about automatic. We'll see.
Never a CVT, though. I couldn't rely on an elastic band!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

10-10-2020, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We've always had manual gearboxes and are quite used to them.
We're getting a new car next March and will probably remain with manual, though we have thought about automatic. We'll see.
Never a CVT, though. I couldn't rely on an elastic band!
Perhaps a DSG then?

Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top