Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 02:19 PM

Re: Sunday lunch for Vegans?

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
As a vegan of many years Donkeyman I genuinely prefer the taste of a plant based diet. I don't consider it a religion or cult.
I would not want dead flesh in my fridge or oven either so understand your friends.
It is the thought of taking a piece of a living creature's body causing it to lose its life for my meal that I find repugnant.
With veganism growing at a phenomenal rate it seems many others do too.
Maybe in the future populations wil regard meat eating the way we do cannibals.
It sounds to me like you have developed a phobia Xandra?
When you say you dont want dead flesh sharing your oven or
fridge with your vegatables it points to an extreme aversion to
something the human race has been doing for a couple of million
years in order to survive, and indeed have even been provided with
the teeth to handle consuming?
Can you tell me did your parents eat meat and have you ever eaten
meat yourself?
and do you or your children take vitamin supplments?

Regards bDonkeyman!
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 09:43 PM

I appreciate that humans did many things in the past that we no longer need to do in order to lead a healthy life. We also have body parts that are redundant due to evolution , appendix and canine teeth are an example. I did eat a little meat as a child, unwillingly. My mother became a vegetarian in middle age but no neither myself nor children have ever taken vitamins or supplements.
I can assure you it is not a phobia, if you research you will see many top athletes are vegans or vegetarians.
Big business has obviously jumped on the bandwagon as every supermarket has many varieties of V food where once there were few.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 10:55 PM

I appreciate that humans did many things in the past that we no longer need to do in order to lead a healthy life. We also have body parts that are redundant due to evolution , appendix and canine teeth are an example. I did eat a little meat as a child, unwillingly. My mother became a vegetarian in middle age but no neither myself nor children have ever taken vitamins or supplements.
I can assure you it is not a phobia, if you research you will see many top athletes are vegans or vegetarians.
Big business has obviously jumped on the bandwagon as every supermarket has many varieties of V food where once there were few.
The appendix has not actually become redundant Xandra, just because we couldn't find it's use doesn't mean it didn't have one.
And here is the latest study as to what your Appendix really does......

Maintaining gut flora

A possible function of the human appendix is a "safe house" for beneficial bacteria in the recovery from diarrhea
Although it has been long accepted that the immune tissue surrounding the appendix and elsewhere in the gut—called gut-associated lymphoid tissue—carries out a number of important functions, explanations were lacking for the distinctive shape of the appendix and its apparent lack of specific importance and function as judged by an absence of side effects following its removal. Therefore, the notion that the appendix is only vestigial became widely held.

William Parker, Randy Bollinger, and colleagues at Duke University proposed in 2007 that the appendix serves as a haven for useful bacteria when illness flushes the bacteria from the rest of the intestines. This proposition is based on an understanding that emerged by the early 2000s of how the immune system supports the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria,in combination with many well-known features of the appendix, including its architecture, its location just below the normal one-way flow of food and germs in the large intestine, and its association with copious amounts of immune tissue. Research performed at Winthrop–University Hospital showed that individuals without an appendix were four times as likely to have a recurrence of Clostridium difficile colitis. The appendix, therefore, may act as a "safe house" for beneficial bacteria. This reservoir of bacteria could then serve to repopulate the gut flora in the digestive system following a bout of dysentery or cholera or to boost it following a milder gastrointestinal illness.

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The appendix has not actually become redundant Xandra, just because we couldn't find it's use doesn't mean it didn't have one.
And here is the latest study as to what your Appendix really does......

Maintaining gut flora

A possible function of the human appendix is a "safe house" for beneficial bacteria in the recovery from diarrhea
Although it has been long accepted that the immune tissue surrounding the appendix and elsewhere in the gut—called gut-associated lymphoid tissue—carries out a number of important functions, explanations were lacking for the distinctive shape of the appendix and its apparent lack of specific importance and function as judged by an absence of side effects following its removal. Therefore, the notion that the appendix is only vestigial became widely held.

William Parker, Randy Bollinger, and colleagues at Duke University proposed in 2007 that the appendix serves as a haven for useful bacteria when illness flushes the bacteria from the rest of the intestines. This proposition is based on an understanding that emerged by the early 2000s of how the immune system supports the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria,in combination with many well-known features of the appendix, including its architecture, its location just below the normal one-way flow of food and germs in the large intestine, and its association with copious amounts of immune tissue. Research performed at Winthrop–University Hospital showed that individuals without an appendix were four times as likely to have a recurrence of Clostridium difficile colitis. The appendix, therefore, may act as a "safe house" for beneficial bacteria. This reservoir of bacteria could then serve to repopulate the gut flora in the digestive system following a bout of dysentery or cholera or to boost it following a milder gastrointestinal illness.

Thats a ncomprehensive study of the appendix you posted OGF l
learnt quite a bit from that.
But l also thought that the main purpose of that organ was to help
us to digest raw foods, including meat in the times before we
discovered cooking, since we started cooking our food the appendix
has not had much work to do, and so has atrophied somewhat,
leading to the assumption it is unnecassary?
I suppose as humans become more sedentary and lazy more things
will fall off!
Donkeyman!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 12:08 PM

We are hunter-gatherers by design

Now that all the hard work has been taken out of the "hunt" I suppose many find it more satisfying gathering fruit and veg from the most expensive "local" farm shop that they can drive to
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

14-12-2019, 12:23 PM

You did not say if you brought your children up to be vegans Xandra
and if you influenced them to he so?
And another small point, but important, what did you feed your
children on when they were born?
Vegans use NO animall products!

Regards bDonkeyman!
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 01:26 PM

Interesting about the appendix Old GreyFox. I've not had one since a small child and can't say I've missed it!
My children were vegetarian until two decided to go vegan, their children are also. They are all very healthy and reaching all appropriate milestones as they grow.
Just to add I never try to influence anyone, decisions must come from yourself else they will not last.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 02:15 PM

I am sure I would enjoy trying food at a vegan restaurant & have enjoyed vegetarian food, but would never give up my meat & fish.

When I have had dinner parties, where some members are vegetarian, I would make something different for them.... so I am confused as to why families with both vegan & carnivorous members can't do the same for Christmas!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

03-01-2020, 02:47 PM

The battle by vegans to completely anihilate the meat eating
majority has taken a legal twist, as a judge has ruled that ethical
vegans,(whatever that means?) will have protection under the law!
Who or what is threatening them that they need protection??
What will this mean for the silent majority l wonder?
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

03-01-2020, 02:58 PM

Interesting about the appendix Old GreyFox. I've not had one since a small child and can't say I've missed it!
My children were vegetarian until two decided to go vegan, their children are also. They are all very healthy and reaching all appropriate milestones as they grow.
Just to add I never try to influence anyone, decisions must come from yourself else they will not last.
You sound like you have a genuine preference for veggies Xandra
and not a phobia!
Would you mind telling me if you would allow meat to share your
oven when cooking for guests?
Donkeyman!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top