Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 07:00 PM

Re: Gin & Tonic - Used to be near perfection!

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Bombay Sapphire is 40% proof. It's nice and smooth and can be drunk neat, but it costs more than a bog-standard London gin.

A one-litre bottle is on offer at Morrison's for £21 as opposed to the usual £26.

Beat that one with the offer Judd, but not the full price.
Bought my Bombay Sapphire 1 ltr bottle normal price £27.50 knocked down to £20 from Tesco. (their 70cl costs £21). got my Shweppes Tonics, will buy my wax-free Lemons nearer the date .Filled the ice trays. Cheers. HIC!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Beat that one with the offer Judd, but not the full price.
Bought my Bombay Sapphire 1 ltr bottle normal price £27.50 knocked down to £20 from Tesco. (their 70cl costs £21). got my Shweppes Tonics, will buy my wax-free Lemons nearer the date .Filled the ice trays. Cheers. HIC!
SG, I too enjoy a (few) Bombay Sapphire - have you tried Fever Tree Tonic Water? I much prefer it to Shweppes.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 01:17 PM

I note that Aldi do a bottle of Gin for 12 Quid.

Might get some of that to refill the house Gin Bottles over Christmas - don't think my lot will notice.

cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 01:37 PM

I drink Gordon's gin & Schweppes tonic which still contains quinine in the UK - I don't think it does in the US. I'm fine with both, the way I pour them. Plus Strawberry gin which I drink straight.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
SG, I too enjoy a (few) Bombay Sapphire - have you tried Fever Tree Tonic Water? I much prefer it to Shweppes.
No, I haven't heard of that one LT. I have tried a couple of others when the Shweppes wasn't available in the small cans, (don't like the large bottles as it goes flat too quickly). but nothing so far seems to taste as nice as Shweppes.
I will certainly keep Fever Tree to mind for the future.
Thank you.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
I drink Gordon's gin & Schweppes tonic which still contains quinine in the UK - I don't think it does in the US. I'm fine with both, the way I pour them.

Ditto!

At home I drink Gordon's and Schweppes. I make ice cubes with the last couple of inches of slightly flat tonic, thus not diluting the drink!

I like Fever Tree (usually the Mediterranean one) with some of the "newer" gins, but Schweppes is a lot cheaper. Not that keen on supermarket's own tonics.
I find Bombay Sapphire tatstes a bit musty My faves are probably Jake's and Tanqueray 10. And Hendrick's with cucumber and black pepper is delish!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 10:34 PM

Lots of bars don't stock Gordon's these days (especially in London) obviously not trendy enough! Or maybe not profitable enough! Have had a few barmen look down their noses saying, "Oh we don't stock Gordon's..."
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Ditto!

At home I drink Gordon's and Schweppes. I make ice cubes with the last couple of inches of slightly flat tonic, thus not diluting the drink!

I like Fever Tree (usually the Mediterranean one) with some of the "newer" gins, but Schweppes is a lot cheaper. Not that keen on supermarket's own tonics.
I find Bombay Sapphire tatstes a bit musty My faves are probably Jake's and Tanqueray 10. And Hendrick's with cucumber and black pepper is delish!

What a good idea.

I like Tonic on its own but if it is flat, I eventually feel a bit sick, but that's a good way of using it up
Glanny
N.Ireland

18-12-2019, 10:26 PM

Sadly not my idea. I pinched it from a forum in South Africa I happened to stumble upon online that was chatting about gin!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 05:44 PM

What I want to know is how Gin has suddenly become so trendy?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top