Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 10:40 PM

Re: Should I upgrade.

I quite agree, Realist. As long as my anti-virus & anti-malware software gets updated I'm happy to stick to Windows 7 for now. I have an update disk to give me Windows 10 and frankly they're always having to release important and even critical fixes for it to patch newly-discovered vulnerabilities. Maybe in another year it might be worth me blowing the dust off the disk and installing Windows 10.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I quite agree, Realist. As long as my anti-virus & anti-malware software gets updated I'm happy to stick to Windows 7 for now. I have an update disk to give me Windows 10 and frankly they're always having to release important and even critical fixes for it to patch newly-discovered vulnerabilities. Maybe in another year it might be worth me blowing the dust off the disk and installing Windows 10.
I agree, but would add that when I bought my laptop I, indirectly, purchased an operating system - Windows 10 in my case.

Generally speaking, when you buy something it is yours to do with whatever you want to do.
What I find difficult to accept is that in the case of Windows software things are rather different in that the manufacturer insists on taking control every now and then on the pretext of updating the software to improve security, etc.

I'd be much happier if this were to be made optional. Microsoft, by all means offer updates, but don't insist that you know best and that, unless users go to the trouble of avoiding them in some way, they will be installed sooner or later.

They seem to do this with Windows Defender which, in my experience, works very well. I choose to update it at every opportunity. So why can't they leave me alone when it comes to Windows Update? Offer it, but don't try to demand that I accept it if I don't want it. I shall take responsibility if something goes tits up.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I have Windows 7. Microsoft are withdrawing their support. What does this mean and should I upgrade to Windows 10.
I only use my computer for pleasure, Forums, E Mail to friends etc;
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
I wouldn't bother changing anything as long as your antivirus is kept up to date.

I have a friend who is still using a Windows XP computer and gets on OK. He hasn't had a problem yet. If the computer does all that you ask and the software still works why bother?

When it packs it in buy a new one then.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Windows 10 is the pits.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree, but would add that when I bought my laptop I, indirectly, purchased an operating system - Windows 10 in my case.

Generally speaking, when you buy something it is yours to do with whatever you want to do.

What I find difficult to accept is that in the case of Windows software things are rather different in that the manufacturer insists on taking control every now and then on the pretext of updating the software to improve security, etc.

I'd be much happier if this were to be made optional. Microsoft, by all means offer updates, but don't insist that you know best and that, unless users go to the trouble of avoiding them in some way, they will be installed sooner or later.

They seem to do this with Windows Defender which, in my experience, works very well. I choose to update it at every opportunity. So why can't they leave me alone when it comes to Windows Update? Offer it, but don't try to demand that I accept it if I don't want it. I shall take responsibility if something goes tits up.
Sorry to be pedantic, JBR, but getting a copy of any Software, e.g. Windows, does not mean that you own it.

In reality, you are only buying a security key which lets you use it on a "leased" basis.

That's the same if you buy a laptop or any PC, with it on, or a disk with the package on it.

It's a bit like renting a flat.

If you are leasing anything, you are normally required to accept the terms of that lease.

MS publish the terms and conditions of the lease on their web pages.

If it says that you must install updates, then that's what you signed up to do when you installed it.

(Switches off pedant mode)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by bruce ->
i wouldn't bother changing anything as long as your antivirus is kept up to date.

I have a friend who is still using a windows xp computer and gets on ok. He hasn't had a problem yet. If the computer does all that you ask and the software still works why bother?

When it packs it in buy a new one then.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Sorry to be pedantic, JBR, but getting a copy of any Software, e.g. Windows, does not mean that you own it.

In reality, you are only buying a security key which lets you use it on a "leased" basis.

That's the same if you buy a laptop or any PC, with it on, or a disk with the package on it.

It's a bit like renting a flat.

If you are leasing anything, you are normally required to accept the terms of that lease.

MS publish the terms and conditions of the lease on their web pages.

If it says that you must install updates, then that's what you signed up to do when you installed it.

(Switches off pedant mode)
As I said, "generally speaking". Micro$oft is different, of course. If they do become even more dictatorial, I'll be off to Linux Mint.

Incidentally, can I run Photoshop Elements on Linux?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Windows 10 is the pits.
I wouldn't go that far, Muddy. It isn't exactly the pits. It runs quite well, but Microsoft should stop trying to control its users. I think if there was an alternative OS (Crapple is too expensive and Linux is, I think, aimed at more expert users), they'd have to change their attitude.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Incidentally, can I run Photoshop Elements on Linux?
There isn't a Linux version of Photoshop Elements. You would need to get used to editing in a program called 'Gimp' (free). A pretty good equivalent program to PSE.

You could set up a dual-boot system where you can have Windows and Linux installed on the same computer. Use Linux all the time apart from when you need to use a Windows only program. A bit inconvenient to come out of one system and boot into another but it's something that is possible.

A better solution could be to use Linux Mint most of the time but have a spare or old computer running on Windows.

Another option is something called 'VirtualBox' that gives a Windows system inside the Linux System. I have read that PSE may not work too well if doing this though. Best to think 'Gimp' if you want to leave Windows behind.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
There isn't a Linux version of Photoshop Elements. You would need to get used to editing in a program called 'Gimp' (free). A pretty good equivalent program to PSE.

You could set up a dual-boot system where you can have Windows and Linux installed on the same computer. Use Linux all the time apart from when you need to use a Windows only program. A bit inconvenient to come out of one system and boot into another but it's something that is possible.

A better solution could be to use Linux Mint most of the time but have a spare or old computer running on Windows.

Another option is something called 'VirtualBox' that gives a Windows system inside the Linux System. I have read that PSE may not work too well if doing this though. Best to think 'Gimp' if you want to leave Windows behind.
Thank you very much. Useful information.

I have tried Gimp, but I found it less easy to use than Photoshop, though I suppose that was perhaps down to familiarity with Photoshop.

I suppose I was thinking about Linux having, like Crapple, a facility to use Windows programmes, but perhaps not.

The dual boot option sounds interesting. I assume I can use Chrome and Gmail in Linux and connect to the Internet, so that would work.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top