Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 01:16 AM

Boxing Day Dilemma

Have invited a friend to join me for lunch on Boxing Day and am doing the whole turkey and trimmings thing. Problem is - she rather likes sprouts. I loathe the damn things but am perfectly happy to cook some for her as long as I don't have to eat them.

In the past she has mentioned having them with chestnuts and lardons - anyone know how to to do this?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 01:42 AM

Re: Boxing Day Dilemma

Hi

This is something that I like.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...with-pancetta-

I also do them by peeling the sprouts into individual leaves, blanching and then stir frying with pancetta.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the link, Swimmy, but she really wanted chestnuts with them. However - there is a recipe for that very thing on the same website!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...nuts-and-bacon

Have booked marked it and will have a dummy run later in the day.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have invited a friend to join me for lunch on Boxing Day and am doing the whole turkey and trimmings thing. Problem is - she rather likes sprouts. I loathe the damn things but am perfectly happy to cook some for her as long as I don't have to eat them.

In the past she has mentioned having them with chestnuts and lardons - anyone know how to to do this?

Cheat!

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-...00g/59797.html
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 05:38 PM

Just had to Google lardons, I've never heard of them before!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

I'm not too keen on them either. But my dear wife does them au gratin and they are delish....I've asked her to send me the recipe/instructions.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 06:19 PM

Brussels Sprouts Gratin
By Jennifer Segal, adapted from Fine Cooking
Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
INGREDIENTS
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, stem ends trimmed and cut in half through the stem end
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs, from about 3 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
1/4 cup finely grated Gruyère
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
INSTRUCTIONS
Heat the oven to 425°F. Put the Brussels sprouts in a 9x13-inch baking dish, and toss with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread the sprouts evenly in the dish and roast, tossing once halfway through, until tender and browned in spots, 25-30 minutes.
While the sprouts roast, place the bread crumbs in a medium bowl. Pour the remaining tablespoon of melted butter over the crumbs and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Mix in the Gruyère. Set aside.
When the sprouts are tender and browned, pour the cream evenly over the sprouts and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Continue baking until the cream has thickened to a saucy consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Set the oven to broil and position a rack to 6 inches below the broiler. Sprinkle on the bread crumb mixture. Broil the gratin until the crust is golden brown, 3-5 minutes (keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn).
Make ahead tip: This recipe can be prepared a day ahead of time. Reheat in a 350°F oven, uncovered, until warm throughout and crisp on top, 10-15 minutes.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 06:27 PM

Slightly different - I have used this recipe loads of times and they are great !
https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes...-with-pancetta
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

16-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Definite 'food for thought' there - thank you all.

I may just take Mups advice and cheat - that way if my friend doesn't like them I can blame Iceland!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top