Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 10:35 PM

Re: State of Emergancy (again!)

And two killed last night at a fire front accident. As I said before. It's a war.

Also..

Donkeyman
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more

Today, 04:21 AM#10I saw some news clips tonight of what appear to be extinction
rebellion youngsters demonstrating in Sydney l assume due to
the smoke, complaining about government action, or inaction during
the current bush fire situaion?
Might l suggest that these protesters would be better employed
by joining the fire fighters in actually putting the fires out, instead
of clogging the streets up by lying around in them?
Maybe a dose of National Service would be a useful addition to
their education?
Regards Donkeyman!

OK. Greta Tunberg irritates the crap out of me. I can't stand her sanctimonious, self righteous speeches. NOt giving any credit to anybody older than her as to their environmental efforts. But her message is nevertheless correct. She is an example of taking the bad with the good IMO. YOu may not like the messenger or the method of delivery but that doesn't mean the message is wrong. Yes those kids could be doing something else. But at least they give a damn. THey care about their future. They are doing what they think is right. They are not taking drugs and fighting in the street for nothing. I respect that. And many of the fire fighters are young people the same age and they support the protesters. Somebody here recently talked about "climate change nonsense"..THat's the kind of thinking that drives people to the streets. And they are not all teenagers either. My neighbour is in her 70s and she was out there.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
OK. Greta Tunberg irritates the crap out of me. I can't stand her sanctimonious, self righteous speeches. NOt giving any credit to anybody older than her as to their environmental efforts. But her message is nevertheless correct. She is an example of taking the bad with the good IMO. YOu may not like the messenger or the method of delivery but that doesn't mean the message is wrong. Yes those kids could be doing something else. But at least they give a damn. THey care about their future. They are doing what they think is right. They are not taking drugs and fighting in the street for nothing. I respect that. And many of the fire fighters are young people the same age and they support the protesters. Somebody here recently talked about "climate change nonsense"..THat's the kind of thinking that drives people to the streets. And they are not all teenagers either. My neighbour is in her 70s and she was out there.

Hear hear!

(though personally I think Greta Thunberg and more like her is exactly what the world needs right now).

The news about the dead fire fighters is awful , it just shows how these volunteers put their lives at risk. Apparently their truck hit a tree which fell in front of their truck as they moved between operations. Their truck rolled and the driver and front seat passenger were killed, the three other fire fighters survived.

Falling trees is one of the biggest dangers after a fire has passed.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Any rain forecast?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Any rain forecast?
There is a slight chance of showers next week but showers won't do, they just make fire trails muddy and difficult for fire trucks.

We need rain and none is forecast until February.

Tomorrow is going to be pretty serious

The next couple of months is not looking too good either.

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 08:30 PM

And two killed last night at a fire front accident. As I said before. It's a war.

Also..

Donkeyman
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more

Today, 04:21 AM#10I saw some news clips tonight of what appear to be extinction
rebellion youngsters demonstrating in Sydney l assume due to
the smoke, complaining about government action, or inaction during
the current bush fire situaion?
Might l suggest that these protesters would be better employed
by joining the fire fighters in actually putting the fires out, instead
of clogging the streets up by lying around in them?
Maybe a dose of National Service would be a useful addition to
their education?
Regards Donkeyman!

I stand by my post Keezoy, my point being that the time for protest
is not now, and you are in the middle of a serious emergency that
requires action, not protest? The time for debate and blame is later
when the emegency is over, and it will be over oneway or another
in the coming weeks! Meantime imo it requires gathering all your
resources together in co-ordinated efforts, possibly with international
help with things like more helicopters and associated equipement
to enhance the firefighting efforts!
This needs to be done now! Otherwise events will take care of
themselves?
The arguing must come later?
BTW, I agree with the argument we should take all reasonable
measures to cut emisions and pollution down, allthough l have
doubts as to whether it is too late to have effect?
My good wishes to all in ozz at this time!
Donkeyman!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I stand by my post Keezoy, my point being that the time for protest
is not now, and you are in the middle of a serious emergency that
requires action, not protest? The time for debate and blame is later
when the emegency is over, and it will be over oneway or another
in the coming weeks! Meantime imo it requires gathering all your
resources together in co-ordinated efforts, possibly with international
help with things like more helicopters and associated equipement
to enhance the firefighting efforts!
This needs to be done now! Otherwise events will take care of
themselves?
The arguing must come later?
BTW, I agree with the argument we should take all reasonable
measures to cut emisions and pollution down, allthough l have
doubts as to whether it is too late to have effect?
My good wishes to all in ozz at this time!
Donkeyman!
Yes OK I respect your right to your opinion. Asfar as resources go you can be assured that everything we have - and that is thousands of experienced and well trained Rural Fire Service fire fighters and Metropolitan Fire fighters with their tankers. A large fire fighting air force including "Elvis" water cranes, light fixed wing water bombers and choppers, C130 heavy bombers, converted jet airliner water bombers, the military providing logistical support etc. - is being thrown at this monster. All of this is not just coming from NSW but Victoria, Queensland and South Australia as well. All who have their own fires to fight. As well as all that we have personnel and equipment coming from The US, Canada and New Zealand. The Gospers Mountain fire which is burning not more than 30 kms from my back door is bigger in area than London and by that I mean from Hillingdon to Havering and from Enfield to Croydon. At the moment there is not enough people and gear in the whole bloody world to put it out. We need rain. Lots of it. And it's not there. As I keep saying. It's a war. Australia gives advice and support to the rest of the world on how to fight massive bush fires. It's something that we know how to do. As a nation We have learned this the hardest way of all. This fire from hell is not burning because of a lack of know how or experience. And I can assure you nobody here who can do anything about this catastrophe is arguing about it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

21-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Interesting bit of film showing how large bush fires create their own weather, particularly thunderstorms and hail.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-...roken/11820850
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 12:53 PM

Yes OK I respect your right to your opinion. Asfar as resources go you can be assured that everything we have - and that is thousands of experienced and well trained Rural Fire Service fire fighters and Metropolitan Fire fighters with their tankers. A large fire fighting air force including "Elvis" water cranes, light fixed wing water bombers and choppers, C130 heavy bombers, converted jet airliner water bombers, the military providing logistical support etc. - is being thrown at this monster. All of this is not just coming from NSW but Victoria, Queensland and South Australia as well. All who have their own fires to fight. As well as all that we have personnel and equipment coming from The US, Canada and New Zealand. The Gospers Mountain fire which is burning not more than 30 kms from my back door is bigger in area than London and by that I mean from Hillingdon to Havering and from Enfield to Croydon. At the moment there is not enough people and gear in the whole bloody world to put it out. We need rain. Lots of it. And it's not there. As I keep saying. It's a war. Australia gives advice and support to the rest of the world on how to fight massive bush fires. It's something that we know how to do. As a nation We have learned this the hardest way of all. This fire from hell is not burning because of a lack of know how or experience. And I can assure you nobody here who can do anything about this catastrophe is arguing about it.
From what you say Keezoy youve got it covered?
All you need is heavy rain?
Sounds a little contradictory to me?
Donkeyman!
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 01:04 PM

My goodness, you all have my sympathy, it must be horrendous for you all. I have relatives in Oz but in Victoria State. I hope any arsonists burn in their self-made hell.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

21-12-2019, 01:26 PM

There were some very weird skies this evening after the southerly passed through. A mixture of smoke and cloud. Quality not so good as it was nearly dark but everything was a strange orange which the photos don't pick up well at all.

We had poor air quality with smoke in the air but the southerly seemed to push the smoke high into the air with the clouds.

This is a screen shot of the BOM weather radar early this afternoon before the southerly reached Wollongong - except what it is seeing is not rain but bush fire smoke. There is absolutely no rain anywhere in that picture it is all smoke. Isn't that amazing?

If you looked at the RFS web site you could easily identify each fire that smoke is coming from.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020353.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	11267   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020361.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	11268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191221-145917.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	11269  

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top