Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 12:48 AM

Those Spanish Bastards!

A couple of days ago I went to the grog shop looking for a bottle of Sweet Sherry.

My taste for this had been reawakened after I drank the remainder of the bottle left over from the Christmas trifle. I had purchased it last year from Cobbitty Wines on the outskirts of Sydney. As we shall discover Cobbitty Wines was obviously less PC than they should have been.

Anyway back to the grog shop... I searched for sweet sherry and came up short so I asked the assistant and she showed me where it was.

No longer allowed to be called sherry (since 2010 it transpires) it is now called Apera because Spain has objected to the use of the name. Why a stupid name like Apera I hear you ask? apparently it is derived from "Aperitif" . which doesn't make the name any less stupid but at least I feel better informed.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-03 22.04.41.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	11362  
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 12:02 PM

Re: Those Spanish Bastards!

A similar story with champers Brucy! If not made in France it has
to be called something else, such as perle or sparkling!
This has been the case for several years now!
Donkeyman!
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 12:54 PM

But do you enjoy drinking it Bruce? A rose by any other name.................
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why a stupid name like Apera I hear you ask? apparently it is derived from "Aperitif" .
Sounds like dentures.........
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
Did you say rose or rose CHF?
LOL! Donkeyman!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 03:25 PM

A couple of days ago I went to the grog shop looking for a bottle of Sweet Sherry.

My taste for this had been reawakened after I drank the remainder of the bottle left over from the Christmas trifle. I had purchased it last year from Cobbitty Wines on the outskirts of Sydney. As we shall discover Cobbitty Wines was obviously less PC than they should have been.

Anyway back to the grog shop... I searched for sweet sherry and came up short so I asked the assistant and she showed me where it was.

No longer allowed to be called sherry (since 2010 it transpires) it is now called Apera because Spain has objected to the use of the name. Why a stupid name like Apera I hear you ask? apparently it is derived from "Aperitif" . which doesn't make the name any less stupid but at least I feel better informed.
I'm defo deva you Aussies have to shorten the Aperitif word.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
Yes, I haven't had any for a while, this McWilliams stuff isn't as good at the Cobbitty sherry but it's OK (and more expensive). My mother used to like sweet sherry which is where I first tasted it as a child.

McWilliams used to be the wino's brand of choice.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 02:07 PM

Yes, I haven't had any for a while, this McWilliams stuff isn't as good at the Cobbitty sherry but it's OK (and more expensive). My mother used to like sweet sherry which is where I first tasted it as a child.

McWilliams used to be the wino's brand of choice.
I used to drink Crofts but my taste buds must have changed
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 05:32 PM

This changing of names malarkey is down to the wonderful world - NOT - of the EU and one of it's many (sometimes very silly) regulations. This regulation refers to the protected status of foodstuffs, etc such as Champagne, Melton Mobray pork pies, Stilton cheese, etc. It was started by the champagne producers, I think, because peeps would confuse the likes of cava, proseco, (the far superior imho) English sparkling wines with their overpriced and overhyped dishwater (in some instances).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

12-01-2020, 09:53 AM

I was browsing a different grog shop today and came across this rather cheeky little number.

At $13 (£6.50) for two litres you can't go wrong can you? Tastes much better than the McWilliams stuff too.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020483.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	11409  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top