Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 04:15 PM

How Much Do You Spend On Shopping Each Week?

I was discussing this with one of my Grandaughters yesterday. She has three children and was flabbergasted when I told her that I usually spend anything between £80/£90 and sometimes £100 per week on shopping for the two of us. She said she usually spends about £60 or £70 for the five of them!
She shops for almost everything at Aldi. Of course, the first thing she asked when I told her how much I spend, was the inevitable ''Do you buy a lot of convenience foods?’’ which I certainly don’t!! Cheeky little madam!
When she asked where I shopped, I told her Home delivery Shop from Tesco, Some from Iceland, Meat from my local butcher, Vegetables and Fruit from our open air market and fresh eggs from the farm.

She certainly had me thinking though once she had left.
Am I being too extravagant with my food shop? I know food prices have risen in the last few months but I didn’t think I was being wasteful.

Below is last week’s shopping (have an online shopping list reminder so always know what to get) It came to about £90 in total.

BUTCHER

2 x Pork Loin Chops
4 x Chicken Breasts (makes 2 meals)
4 x Chicken Thigh Fillets (for Curry)
1/2lb Lambs Liver
1lb Minced Beef
8 Pork Sausages.

OPEN AIR MARKET

Potatoes
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Snap Peas
Carrots
Small Cabbage
4 medium onions
4 Pears
8 Bananas
6 Tomatoes
3 Lemons
Iceberg Lettuce
Cucumber
Fresh Parsley,
Fresh Thyme

ICELAND

Iceland unsmoked Streaky Bacon (HWMO’s favourite)
Iceland Strength 5 Mature Cheddar Cheese
Iceland Part Baked Baguettes
1 x 4-pint Semi Skimmed Milk
1 x 4-pint Full Fat Milk
1 x Double Cream.

HAIRDRESSER (Husband is a farmer)

Dozen fresh eggs (costs £2 for a dozen large - much cheaper than any supermarket comparison and any of the local shops. They are so fresh the feathers are still on the shells)

TESCO HOME DELIVERY

1 x Lambs Liver £1.12 (pooches)
1 x Small Whole Chicken £2.40 (pooches)
1 x Packet Brown Rice £1.50 (pooches) - Usually buy once a fortnight)
1 x packet frozen Pollock fillets £2.18 (pooches)
1 x Packet Dentastix £1.60 ( pooches)
1 x Birds Eye Garden Peas
1 x Packet of French Fries
3 x Wholemeal Granary Loaves
1 x McVities Digestive Biscuit
1 x Yorkshire Teabags
1 x Kerrygold butter
1 x Large Clover
1 x Marmalade
1 x Crunchy Nut Cornflakes
1 x Weetabix
1 Clementine Juice
1 x Pineapple Juice
1 x Squash
1 x Packet Pasta
1 x Packet 8 slices of Ham
1 x 4 tins Tuna in Brine
1 x small Light Mayo
1 x Dettox surface cleaner
1 x Disinfectant
1 x Fairy Liquid
1 x 4 x Heinz Baked Beans
2 x Tins Big Soup

That was it for last week. Okay, I appreciate that I am buying fresh food to cook for my pooches which still comes to under £10 a week including their treat. I also know that I could buy a pack of 12 tins of dog food for a fiver from Tesco. But they are two fussy eaters, love their fresh food with rice or cooked vegetables, and I prefer to know what is being fed to them so the extra £3 is worth it.

With regard to the rest of my home shop. Obviously each week is different in some aspects. Things like Washing Capsules and other cleaning products are bought as and when. Same with meal requirements.

I don’t want to compromise quality for quantity with regard to meat, veg, eggs etc. If I thought I could get the same at Aldi’s or Lidl, or even anywhere, I would, but those two shops don’t do the branded goods which we happen to like like Kellogs, Yorkshire Tea, Rose’s Lime Marmalade, etc..

Any ideas, suggestions, insults?!! about my shopping habit, I don’t mind as long as you don’t say anything nasty or cruel towards my pooches!

Am I extravagant? Am I spending too much and should cut down? How much do you spend each week on shopping?

Your views most welcome.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 04:22 PM

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Shopping Each Week?

I don't keep count of what I spend per week but it is a lot less than it used to be since I gave up meat and alcohol.

I don't do a weekly shop, I buy cleaning products when on offer so it might be 4 washing up liquid and fabric softer one week 4 of something else another week .

I like my fruit and vegetables as fresh as possible as they form a large part of my diet so I shop for those 3 or 4 times a week
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 04:32 PM

Ah! Aldi - purveyors of the finest rancid turkey according to newspaper reports just after Christmas.

We are just two as well but rarely spend more than about £40-50/wk on groceries. We bulk-buy Yorkshire tea bags when on special offer and usually have a good stock in my office. Same goes for orange juice, weetabix, washing up liquid, etc.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 04:55 PM

we tend to shop daily and usually spend about £90 -£100 per week but that does include cat food and dog food etc.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 05:20 PM

Hi

I grow most of my own and live very simply on my own,

I buy direct from the producers, so when I am on my own I live very well on £35 a week, including Loo Rolls etc.

My bill goes up to £42 a week when my two lodgers are here, no great shakes, well covered by what they pay under the Government Rent A Room Scheme, which is Tax Free

Since Guy has been home my Food Bill has more than doubled, but worth it.

The off set is I am no longer paying his Medical Bills.

An example of knowing where to go.

Four kilos of Free Range Chicken legs and thighs cost £3, a bruised Pork Shoulder , whole, cost me £2, cut out the bruise and have a huge joint for less than £1 a kilo.

I spend my money on travel and meals out.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 05:26 PM

I go grocery shopping as & when I need items. Usually spend per week £30/£40/£50 depending on what I need. If I go to the big Tesco I also tend to buy clothing, DVD's or books, or all three, which can put the price up considerably.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 05:45 PM

Not sure, but somewhere in between 80-90 most weeks. That's for two and sometime the 2 grandchildren at weekends.
We don't eat a lot of meat, but trying to get this bill down seems virtually impossible . Tesco, local green grocer and butchers, and a local convenience store for things like bread and milk when I run out.
Buying a bottle of wine is a once in a month experience !
I seem to spend more when going to the supermarket, seeing things for a change.
It's all so damn boring, really and a nightmare to juggle but seldom makes any difference to the overall bill.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 05:46 PM

I spend about £80/£90 a week on fresh meat, dairy products, eggs, fruit, veg, cream crackers, bread, marmade, cleaning items, washing up liquid etc. I sometimes buy in bulk when anything is on offer.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 06:30 PM

... never worked it out. We can spend £200 one week £20 the next. We used to do a weekly supermarket run, now we do it once in 3 or 4 weeks. We have butchers, bakers, fishmongers, fruit&veg stalls all within walking distance. We take the car to a Portuguese deli about once every 2 months bulk buy wine&beer also get perishables like cheese, parma ham, bacon. The cat might help out with some of that, he scoffs it down, won't touch any "proper" cat food.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 06:36 PM

SG I don't think you should worry about how much you spend on shopping, I don't think the amount you spend is excessive.

I spend around £50 a week and it's just me on my own, although about £8 of that is dog related items. Sometimes it's more as I will buy extra if things are on offer.

I remember when I was younger and had kids I had to buy value brands and bargain hunt as much as possible but now I have more disposable income I don't skimp, not just to save a few quid that I won't miss.

Problems occur when people live outside of their means, which I'm positive you're not doing, you're just living your best life and having what you want and not compromising on quality.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top