Join for free
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 07:44 AM

Roll Up, Roll Over

It’s the noise of the carousel I find so intoxicating. Don’t you just love the intrusive wheezy grinding of the music, the cheesy, age-old melodies that shout out “enjoy! This is as good as it’s going to get! Hang on tight and pretend you’re a kid again!” Well, that’s what it says to me anyway, even though it’s been so long since I was a kid I’ve forgotten it ever happened. I’m inexorably sucked in by the enormously obscene cartoon-like daubs in front of each piece of equipment, the yawning clown’s mouth, the cantilevered top heavy women with slick scarlet lips and manic toothy grins and the pretend, ugly children’s faces rushing towards some Nirvana-like state of ecstasy at the top of a big wheel.

Fairgrounds –such a chipped, garishly painted small cosmos full of desperate people flinging their cash around, sucking on poisonously coloured confections, yelling like maniacs and whooping into the night as if this false, sludgy half acre of rutted ground was heaven itself. Or perhaps not heaven at all. Perhaps the other place.

So many opportunities to hide, here. Flapping tent openings, tiny wooden booths decorated with signs of the Zodiac where, for a price, the gullible learn the secrets of the universe (a pound coin in the slot, a mass produced laminated card with some generic nonsense on request). There are the spaces under all the rides too, of course. Plenty of room there, up close and personal with wet grass, slick clagging mud, snaking cables. Oh, and let’s not overlook behind the scenes of the Ghost Train.

Who doesn’t love the Ghost Train? Let’s face it, we all like a horror story don’t we, just as long as we can see the string supporting the spider’s web and we know the skeleton’s made of plastic. There are long, dark snaking tunnels there, damp and claustrophobic, overhung with wobbly witch cutouts and dusty ghouls that wouldn’t fool a blind man in a bucket. Still, it’s an interesting journey, bowling along in a rattly old carriage, clutching your partner, screaming unnecessarily loud and rocking the car side to side filled with bravado and testosterone. Not that I ever partook, but I have eyes and ears.

Nobody notices me, naturally. I mean, why would they? This is predominantly a place for young folk, teenagers with money to spend and girls to impress. Kids with parents who keep only half an eye on their charges, lured themselves by slot machines and the siren call of the carousel. I’m just a bloke, quite ordinary, not so shabby that the crowds eye me with suspicion or distaste. I’m spotlessly clean, I am. I thought I’d mention that, as I wouldn’t want you to think me a weirdo or anything. Sometimes I stand quite close to some woman or other, inhale her cheap perfume, and people must think we’re together. I like that, the thought of having someone of my own. I can’t stand there for long though, she always moves off or seeks out whoever she came with. I smile casually before she goes, as if our chance meeting was just that. Chance.

Here’s the thing though. I’m lonely. There, I confess it. Don’t think I’ve never had a relationship, as it’s now called. I have a cruder way of putting it, but you probably don’t want to hear that. I spend all my waking hours at the fairground, and when it moves on after a few weeks, so do I. I move onto wherever it turns up next. It’s the lights and the music, you see. And all the secret places it gives up. The hidey holes, the booths, the other world behind the façade of curtains and jolly cardboard figures, pirates, clowns, ghosts. It’s like a world within a world - there’s the night outside, with the real universe (no pound coin needed here, ha ha) and the jostling, over-the-top hysteria of the punters competing with the coarse cries of the stall holders and the mad, blaring cacophony of dozens of snatches of endlessly upbeat tunes.

Then there’s the much more exciting world, the secret space behind the false lake where the wooden ducks slide past waiting to be shot, the narrow deep alley at the back of the coconut shy, just behind the terrifying scarecrow dummies with chips knocked out of their imbecilic heads. The darkness, the feeling of invisibility is intoxicating back there.

She was about 15, couldn’t have been any older despite the make up slapped on inexpertly and the totally inappropriate high heels. High heels! At a fairground! What was she thinking? She tottered clumsily towards the waltzers, a can of some lager or other in one hand, a tiny glittery bag in the other, grinning at nobody in particular.

Her eyes were wide as a baby being shown a balloon for the first time, her ankles thin, white and delicate as sapling shoots. She had narrow bony shoulders and glossy chestnut hair which reflected the coloured bulbs when she moved her head, as if she was lit up herself. I watched her for quite a while, dry mouthed and aching. She was on her own, not pretty enough to attract the feral advances of the stall holders and too unsteady on her feet to perform the flirting dance – in to tease and taunt, back off to show indifference, closer in, move away. I stood at the corner of one of the tents, half hidden by a washing line of grubby cloths and bided my time as she weaved her way towards me, pausing to slurp from her can and examine the heel of her shoe which had caught in something or other.

Really, it was no challenge at all. Piece of cake, if I’m honest. I can be surprisingly charming if pushed, and the uneven light and the late hour hides my face effectively enough. She seemed rather flattered but unsurprised when I offered to help her to somewhere quiet, to fix her shoe. She was wearing some sweet scent that reminded me for a minute of my mum, God rest her soul. Jasmine, was it? Perhaps rose? I ended up with it on my sleeve anyway.

I took her to one of my favourite spots. I can’t tell you about it, but it’s the most secret place of all in the fairground. She’s there still, what’s left of her. I cherish the scent on my arm.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 08:22 AM

Re: Roll Up, Roll Over

Bit scary that eccles... caught my attention though
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 03:49 PM

Ooooh!Errrrr! Scary story!
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 04:41 PM

I didn't see that one coming until almost the last sentence.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top