Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:19 PM

''Velveting'' Meat ready for Stir-Frying.

To all those who love stir-frying meals in their Wok's or heavy Frying Pans, I found this really handy tip online that said the secret to Chinese and Indian takeway meals with the soft, tender pieces of stirfried meats is because they are ALWAYS velveted first. This ensures the meat results in a lovely, soft texture that you always enjoy with a takeaway meal.

I confess I haven't done my usual Stir Fry yet but I am definitely going to velvet the meat first when I do. I've already bought my Rice Wine.

Below are the ingredients needed. Just mix together and lay the thinly cut small pieces of meat into it for a minimum of one hour. (even longer is good but a minimum of one hour will get you the result you like). Remove with slotted ladle onto a few sheets of kitchen paper on a plate. Use more kitchen paper to remove excess mixture from the meat.

1 EGG WHITE
1 TABLESPOON RICE WINE
2 TABLESPOONS CORNFLOUR
1 PINCH OF SALT.

Cook as normal.

Happy Stir Frying!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:32 PM

Re: ''Velveting'' Meat ready for Stir-Frying.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
To all those who love stir-frying meals in their Wok's or heavy Frying Pans, I found this really handy tip online that said the secret to Chinese and Indian takeway meals with the soft, tender pieces of stirfried meats is because they are ALWAYS velveted first. This ensures the meat results in a lovely, soft texture that you always enjoy with a takeaway meal.

I confess I haven't done my usual Stir Fry yet but I am definitely going to velvet the meat first when I do. I've already bought my Rice Wine.

Below are the ingredients needed. Just mix together and lay the thinly cut small pieces of meat into it for a minimum of one hour. (even longer is good but a minimum of one hour will get you the result you like). Remove with slotted ladle onto a few sheets of kitchen paper on a plate. Use more kitchen paper to remove excess mixture from the meat.

1 EGG WHITE
1 TABLESPOON RICE WINE
2 TABLESPOONS CORNFLOUR
1 PINCH OF SALT.

Cook as normal.

Happy Stir Frying!
oooooo, thanks SG, I make a lot of stirfrys, I'll try this!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:33 PM

My tip ...

slice the meat wafer thin, dry with paper roll, no salt, sprinkle with cornflour .... into hot hot wok, toss ...

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
My tip ...

slice the meat wafer thin, dry with paper roll, no salt, sprinkle with cornflour .... into hot hot wok, toss ...

Not sure d00d, but presume its the egg white that does the velveting, the rice wine for flavour and the cornflour for sealing and thickening. Either way, if I can get the same super softness of the meat that one gets from the takeaway, I will be a happy bunny.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:47 PM

1 EGG WHITE
1 TABLESPOON RICE WINE
2 TABLESPOONS CORNFLOUR
1 PINCH OF SALT.

Cook as normal.

Happy Stir Frying!
Sounds good - will give it a try!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-01-2020, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
oooooo, thanks SG, I make a lot of stirfrys, I'll try this!
Good for you LQ. Would you be kind enough to let us know how it turns out and whether ''It does what it says on the tin''

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 02:16 PM

I'm not a fan of velveting - makes the chicken too soft and slimy for my tastes.

The vinegar is to `pre-cook` the chicken as it breaks down the enzymes in the meat. The cornflour is to protect the meat while it is cooking over high heat.

I'm with D00D with this one - I coat my beef and pork with cornflour in a bowl then add a splash of soy sauce. The coating acts like a tempura style batter and crisps up when stir-fried. Chilli stir-fried crispy beef anyone? Hmm... crispy beef.

Fry the beef first until crispy, then remove from wok onto a warmed plate. Stir-fry some finely chopped spring onions and garlic along with sliced water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. (Optional). Add some of your favourite chilli sauce, stir to coat, then add the beef. Serve with plain steamed Thai Jasmine rice.

I'm hungry now.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 02:26 PM

Not sure d00d, but presume its the egg white that does the velveting, the rice wine for flavour and the cornflour for sealing and thickening. Either way, if I can get the same super softness of the meat that one gets from the takeaway, I will be a happy bunny.
I meant to say ... cornflour is all I use, (I'm not sure what velveting is!) but cornflour is used to soak up any water/blood that might escape, prevent the meat from boiling in its own juice and that keeps it tender. Hot wok is essential, the hotter the better. Rice wine and/or soy sauce can be added to the pan after a minute or two when the meat is cooked, and yes the cornflour will then do its thickening.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

24-01-2020, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm not a fan of velveting - makes the chicken too soft and slimy for my tastes.

The vinegar is to `pre-cook` the chicken as it breaks down the enzymes in the meat. The cornflour is to protect the meat while it is cooking over high heat.

I'm with D00D with this one - I coat my beef and pork with cornflour in a bowl then add a splash of soy sauce. The coating acts like a tempura style batter and crisps up when stir-fried. Chilli stir-fried crispy beef anyone? Hmm... crispy beef.

Fry the beef first until crispy, then remove from wok onto a warmed plate. Stir-fry some finely chopped spring onions and garlic along with sliced water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. (Optional). Add some of your favourite chilli sauce, stir to coat, then add the beef. Serve with plain steamed Thai Jasmine rice.

I'm hungry now.
My method is different, I believe in keeping the meat dry till it's cooked.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-01-2020, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

I'm hungry now.
Yes, that is most people's way of doing it Judd, but if this method guarantees results the same as a take out meal, I will certainly be giving it a go. I've never had a take out that was ''soft and slimey'' only super soft, which I particularly like with the crispy veg that accompanies it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top