Join for free
Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 11:40 AM

Re: Smart motorways

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Better still, offer extremely cheap or free rail travel.
Yes why not ?
The railways should not IMO be there to turn a profit for the Richard Bransons of this world but to serve the community .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Better still, offer extremely cheap or free rail travel.
I always said instead of the potty projects like 'the dome' and many more that fell by the wayside we should have had the 'Millennium rail project ' with old rural tracks reopened and very cheap fares.
The whole country would have benefited.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by meg ->
i always said instead of the potty projects like 'the dome' and many more that fell by the wayside we should have had the 'millennium rail project ' with old rural tracks reopened and very cheap fares.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I always said instead of the potty projects like 'the dome' and many more that fell by the wayside we should have had the 'Millennium rail project ' with old rural tracks reopened and very cheap fares.
I'm beginning to wonder whether HS2 is seen by our MPs as a convenience for their travelling across the country to and from their constituencies.

They, of course, would not have to pay.

Similarly, big business owners, senior civil servants, etc, etc, would find HS2 very convenient and, again, would have their journeys paid for them.

Ordinary plebs, of course, would be unlikely to use it because I'm sure it will turn out to be even more expensive than our existing rail system.

On that basis, I can see the wagon trundling along way past the projected £100 billion unless, of course, it is cancelled.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 04:15 PM

I watched the programme recently about smart motorways . O M G im now scared of driving on the m27 as they are making that into one . What a horredous decision to take away our escape lane . Im seriously thinking of using the train to visit my friend .

The programme showed cars being smashed in to . A young family sat for 20 minutes in the broken down car waiting for help , cars swerving to miss them . Another hit whilst on the phone to 999 caller .

Awful , very worrying
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I watched the programme recently about smart motorways . O M G im now scared of driving on the m27 as they are making that into one . What a horredous decision to take away our escape lane . Im seriously thinking of using the train to visit my friend .

The programme showed cars being smashed in to . A young family sat for 20 minutes in the broken down car waiting for help , cars swerving to miss them . Another hit whilst on the phone to 999 caller .

Awful , very worrying
Very Very worrying.

Oddly, you would think that anyone, with even the smallest amount of intelligence, would know that safety has been totally put at risk if there is no place to go if your car packs up.

Hopefully victims will start demanding legal response to their experiences.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Very Very worrying.

Oddly, you would think that anyone, with even the smallest amount of intelligence, would know that safety has been totally put at risk if there is no place to go if your car packs up.

Hopefully victims will start demanding legal response to their experiences.

Totally agree, Ted.

That's what I asked earlier - what is the procedure now, if we have a breakdown on a 'Smart' motorway?

Does anyone know?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->

Awful , very worrying
Advice is and always has been to get out of the car and go up the embankment or over a safety barrier.

Also to add a Women on NF LBC program today told the story of her husband who had a slight bump on the Motorway both drivers pulled over to exchange details and both killed when a lorry hit them
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Advice is and always has been to get out of the car and go up the embankment or over a safety barrier.

Also to add a Women on NF LBC program today told the story of her husband who had a slight bump on the Motorway both drivers pulled over to exchange details and both killed when a lorry hit them

We are still supposed to do that, Galty?
Even if the hard shoulder is in use as a traffic lane at the time?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 06:54 PM

My worst nightmare when driving on a motorway is the car losing power and slowing down in any 'live' lane. How on earth can you get onto the hard shoulder before a collision can be avoided?

Even then the hard shoulder of any motorway always was considered more dangerous than the motorway itself. Figures before this recent news about 'smart motorways' showed just how dangerous:

https://uk.motor1.com/news/243508/10...hard-shoulder/

There is some useful information on this link should the worst happen and you do have to use the hard shoulder in an emergency:

https://www.iam-bristol.org.uk/index...-hard-shoulder

Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top