Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 07:28 AM

Re: My Wonderful?? Welsh Holiday.

Some terrific stories here. I don't think I have any tales like these, my trips are rather mundane in comparison. I carry tools, spare fuel, water tow rope, tyre air compressor, UHF radio and emergancy food but never had to use them yet (probably not necessary in Wales either )

The lack of wifi/mobile signal is something you get used to. When I first came to Australia you knew that you were getting near a town because the bitumen would suddenly start, nowadays being near a town means that your phone suddenly beeps into life.

I carry a Telstra dongle for trips because if there is going to be a phone tower in the middle of nowhere you can be sure it will only support Telstra (my normal phone company is Optus)
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 07:52 AM

Oh no, I would have been really fed up if there were no phone signal or wifi, you poor thing, it sounds like it was a disaster from the off with no key!

I love how you took it all in your stride and tried to make light of it, good for you Shrops,

I'm really sorry your break away turned out as it did, the flippin' weather didn't help, typical British weather!

I'm glad you at least had a lovely place to stay, shame about the weather, Wales is a beautiful place.

I've never been to Shropshire, does it have nice scenery, i'm a stickler for scenery.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 07:56 AM

It is a very pleasant county LQ.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It is a very pleasant county LQ.
I've just googled it and looked at the images, very beautiful indeed.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 08:18 AM

It is a transitional county, the minor peaks of the Wrekin and Clee Hill are a precursor for the Welsh Mountains beyond IMO.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 10:15 AM

Hi Roxy, I know some areas have patchy reception and WiFi, but absolutely zilch is unacceptable! At the cottage we normally book in Anglesey, we get the WiFi details to obtain it, but this one was a non-starter. That wouldn't have been so bad if we had at least had phone reception or a landline with payphone. But there we are, that's life, didn't like being cut off completely from the outside world, especially not knowing if all was okay with family, and they not having any means of contacting us. It was the reassurance that I missed.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Maybe you should go there next time............

It looks absolutely gorgeous Besoeker, but then again, it is renowned for its countryside beauty.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

08-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Shropshiregirl, though your vacation was not quite what you anticipated, the cottage sounds nearly perfect, especially for the dogs, and it made for a thoroughly entertaining read. I am glad that you are none the worse for wear .

Now you know why, when others are calling them holidays, trips, breaks, or vacations....

I always call them adventures.

Nothing ever quite goes at planned, but that's half the fun.
You're so right SM. Now safely back home with bottom perched on my sofa, I can laugh about the mishaps, but not so funny at the time! I think my days of 'adventure' are long gone. I prefer all facilities, every mod com and luxury these days.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

08-06-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Shroppie, love it.

It is so funny,

Next year go on holiday in Shropshire, on the canal in Whitchurch.

If it is good enough for Harrison Ford to fly over from America, it must be worth the 30 minute drive for you and HWMO.
Been there, done that Swimmy. Not too many years ago we spent a week on the canal starting at Ellesmere. We canalled it to Llangollen. It was absolutely fabulous, but as I said in a previous post, I'm now at the age where I much prefer pure luxury and 100% comfort. Don't laugh but I even take my own two pillows with me on holiday to ensure a good night's sleep! Fussy old fart that I've become.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

08-06-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
My idea of a holiday is staying at home enjoying uninterrupted peace and quiet. I read as much as I want, mess around on the computer upgrading parts as a treat to myself, go to the gym every day if I want to and - the best bit - sleeping as much as I want after a lifetime of having to get up for work. It also makes up for having to give up MY holidays because the wife wanted some pointless decorating or DIY doing.

Now, I spend two weeks just indulging myself and forget everyone else. Bliss.
Tachyon, I'm with you! We had just finished planting all of our hanging baskets, raised gardens, troughs and pots.
I fretted all week whilst away that my granddaughter kept her word and came and watered them every morning as she promised. I really missed my garden. Thankfully she was a darling and came around every morning without fail.

I don't know what it is about holidays at my age now. HWMO looks so forward to getting away from everything and everybody for the week, whereas I would much prefer to go out for the day somewhere and then come back to my comfortable home again.

Must be an age thing. Used to love travelling abroad but since can't fly anymore, at the mercy of the British weather.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top