Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:36 PM

Manners and Courtesy?

Do you think Manners & Courtesy are similar, improving or decreasing?

It seems sometimes that people get angrier quicker, and scream for their rights more often!

I've even noticed how few people actually indicate "Thank You" to a driver when crossing a Zebra Crossing. The majority don't even glance at the car! Not expecting a curtsey or bow, but surely just a smile or nod of the head is not too difficult? Or perhaps a slight hand movement - (something polite)!

Regards,
Rainbow
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Re: Manners and Courtesy?

How I agree with you there...

I hope that I have brought my kids up to respect others even tho they are now grown up I still expect good manners .. a please and thank you never hurts but rudeness is one of my pet hates.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:08 PM

I think the bigger cities are victim to that, but round here in the valleys most people are friendly - and almost everyone you pass in the street (apart from the chopping centres) says hello!
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:12 PM

JJ'sgirl, I was in a small local shop recently, and the person being served politely queried the price of the product they were buying after being asked for the wrong amount.

Without a word the Assistant, just walked off to the shelf (obviously to check the price, but not indicating that) - Took his time, while the queue increased. Strolled back, held out his hand and stated the amended price. Took the money, gave the change - all without any other solitary word !!!

Rainbow
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 08:37 AM

My children were expected to be polite, and similarly my grandchildren are also expected to mind their manners. I always insist they call adults by their titles rather than their first names until told they can do so. I get irritated when tiny tots call me by my first name without by your leave.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 01:54 PM

Manners still exist,and I never fail to say `thank you` to anyone who does a simple thing like holding a door for me.

The first name thing is funny. I used to play cricket for a village and one team member was the housemaster of the local `public school`(when I went to a simiar school one`s housemaster was next to God) but he was Dave to me.

There were also a couple of colts playing for us on their way to higher things from the same school.

One addressed me as Dr Burridge-I glanced at Dave and he said to the lads

"I think you can call him Steph"
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 02:05 PM

The first name thing is still a hard thing for me one of my mums friends when aghast when I called her Mrs P... she said call me Lily..I just couldn't do it... I had to explain to her that I couldn't call her by her christian name becuase it felt disrespectful

Rainbow ..Some people just do not have people skills
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Nothing wrong in that-Lily or Mrs P as long as she realises it`s just your way.

Next door are Pete and Maggie but I still call her Margaret
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 02:18 PM

When my husband was critically ill in hospital, some of the staff would call him by a shortened version of his name, which sent me ballistic. He is always known by the full version of his name, which also has Dr in front of it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 02:22 PM

It's lovely to hear young people say please and thanks, it shows they have respect for other people, where I live manners are still alive and well, that has to be a good thing.
First names?, not the kids I know, it's always Mr. this or Mrs. that, family kids, Granda or Granny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top