Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 12:22 AM

My Bogan Holiday

I have just returned from a cruise to New Caledonia. It was my first cruise but not as bad as I had anticipated however I never need to go cruising again. I shared a twin suite with my youngest son, he booked it and it was a good choice - high up at the rear of the boat (or 'stern' as we seafarers call it). Great balcony with tons of room to get away from the madding crowd. I was with a party of my family and some of their friends which made the experience quite bearable.

It is like Butlins without the Redcoats, without the wall to wall entertainment and without the ability to leave the camp. For parents with with up to early/mid teen kids I can see it being an ideal cheap family holiday for the same reasons as my parents took me to Butlins.

If you want to see some pictures of the cruise click here

However I cannot for the life of me see the attraction for people of my age unless you are a glutton or have your own postcode - there is absolutely unlimited food. However I can sit around, read a book, drink beer and go to the occasional show at home for far less expense.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakfast!!.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2374  
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

27-11-2016, 02:40 AM

Re: My Bogan Holiday

I can't think of anything worse with or without teenagers.
What is there for them to do all day except spend money

I'm taking my two and one of their friends on a small hired cabin cruiser on the Gippsland lakes in early Feb..I can drop them off at one of the small town pubs where they can play Pool, eat, go for a walk and shop for delicious food to cook MY dinner on board.
While I read a book on the deck, drink a G&T and eat and fish...Bliss

And heaps less expensive than a cruise for 4.

I might even tow my Mirror behing and send them off exploring a'la swallows and amazons .

The point of a family holiday is to see as little of them as possible
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 03:43 AM

your link is to facebook and not being a facebook member the link is useless. Can you just put the photos on here please.

Also the word BOGAN is not known in the UK, must be a local term for something or other
Cruising some people like and others not. I already have my next cruise booked and can't wait to see those Caribbean Islands.

Maybe Bruce you should go a bit further afield than the islands right next door to your country, must be like going from home to home
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

27-11-2016, 04:06 AM

Well there's cruises and cruises.

My sister took one up around the Hebrides and Faro islands last year. Small boat that stopped at many small islands...then theres the Luxury Jobs from Amsterdam up to Norway..Cruises up the schelder..cruises on canals and french rivers..

I think Bruce may have been referring to the pack em in, feed em up and get very drunk sort of thing..and No the islands north of Oz are either torres strait islander culture, Polynesian
or Indonesia..not very like home at all
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 04:13 AM

you get what you pay for. I love doing cruises and get to meet people from different parts of the world while on board.

This year did the baltic countries like Russia- Latvia- Sweden-Finland-Estonia-Lithuania- Denmark. Saw the Berlin wall -nd the little mermaid- Catherines Palace to name but a few we visited let alone the viking centre etc etc

Oh couldn't sleep tonight too restless so came on here instead
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
your link is to facebook and not being a facebook member the link is useless. Can you just put the photos on here please.
Did you actually try the link? You don't need to be a Facebook member to follow it.

The ethnic New Caledonians are Kanaks and speak French and local dialects not much like Australia at all.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

27-11-2016, 04:21 AM

yes I did try the link and it flashes up you have to sign into facebook to see them

came up with this

To see more from Bruce Lloyd on Facebook, log in or create an account.
Not Now

Oh you have the same surname as me, arn't you lucky.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 07:21 AM

I liked the towels
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
yes I did try the link and it flashes up you have to sign into facebook to see them

came up with this

To see more from Bruce Lloyd on Facebook, log in or create an account.
Not Now

Oh you have the same surname as me, arn't you lucky.
I had the same message, Realspeed, just clicked on 'not now' and it let me see the photo's.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 08:28 AM

Great photo's, Bruce, love the creative use of towels!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top