Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 12:36 PM

Re: Superstition.

Can't say a date worries me but you would find me chucking salt over my shoulder if I spilled some and I am not keen on walking under ladders either but that's more I don't want something dropped on me. I do turn round 3 times if I put something on inside out or back to front before putting it back on the right way. But I think those are the only ones. Oh I lied I believe things come in 3s too, and if 2 bad things happen break a match will break the spell.
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 12:42 PM

My father in law had a very superstitious lady friend, and we were having lunch there one day, and I dropped a knife, and bent down to pick it up, but she told me not to, or I'd have ginger twins I already had blond twins, and was far too old to have more.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No I am not superstitious in any way, for me supersition goes in the same box marked.. 'religion/gods/ghosts/witches/Santa/the tooth fairy'
Me too

I live in a nice modern flat rented from a housing association. I got it as it's number 13, and previous possible tennants had turned it down for that reason. I was able to jump the queue as the assn thought it was silly to have a perfectly good property standing empty
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 03:52 PM

I was born on the 13th, and sometimes the day falls on a Friday, so I'm used to it and view it as lucky for me.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 04:41 PM

Not a bit of it.............touch wood !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 05:09 PM

I've had a fear of the 13th for years.

The fear of the 13th is triskaidekaphobia but the fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia and is linked to the Knights Templar, known as the Poor Knights of Christ and the Temple of Solomon.

At dawn on Friday, 13 October 1307 King Philip IV ordered the arrest of scores of French Templars and they were virtually annihilated after horrific torture and execution, mainly because the Templars were so rich that they controlled most of Christendom.

My fear is more mundane and is due to the number of "near misses" I've had on that particular date.

Say what you like about it; coincidence perhaps but 5 times is pushing it more than a little bit.

The odd thing is that in each case I was aware of the actual date and very careful, yet things still happened.

I also had premonitions (cue the hoots of derision!) but I've had that for years.

The only thing that happened today was that we went to the library to change our books but we went on foot.

My wife wanted to go by car to go somewhere else afterwards but I said it was a bit silly when it's 10 minutes walk away.

There was a Police Car near the Library and a car had had an accident with a cyclist.

The car had a smashed windscreen and a dent but the bike was strangely untouched.

The cyclist and the car driver had been carted off to hospital but what's relevant is the car; it was a grey Fiat Punto 4-door.

Our car is a grey Fiat Punto 4-door and, had we driven to the library, that's exactly where we would have turned.

Coincidence?

Kismet?

You tell me. stevmk2
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 05:22 PM

Im not.
I once borded a plane and found I was one of only 5 passengers I was mystified until I realised it was Friday 13th.

The stewardess said it was always like that...

A lot of these things have a base somewhere in a truth or have a basic warning in them .. eg; dont walk under ladders...Yeah because someone could drop a brick or paint can on your head not because some great myscial being is going to put a juju curse on you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 06:24 PM

As I said - disasters happen 'every' day, somewhere
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 07:09 PM

I read in the paper today that Friday 13th is the cheapest day to fly because of superstition.

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I read in the paper today that Friday 13th is the cheapest day to fly because of superstition.

If only I could fly ..............

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top