Join for free
Page 14 of 15 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 12:40 PM

Re: The job search begins here

fingers crossed for the 6am - 2pm shift Floydy, it's a great shift as you still have lots of hours left in the day to do other things.

As for career change I do think you'd make a great personal trainer but I think you have your reasons for not wanting to do that, although I don't rmemeber why now.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 12:44 PM

I hope it works out well for you Floydy, things are looking brighter for you.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Looking more positive for you floydy . I'm pleased for you
Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
fingers crossed for the 6am - 2pm shift Floydy, it's a great shift as you still have lots of hours left in the day to do other things.

As for career change I do think you'd make a great personal trainer but I think you have your reasons for not wanting to do that, although I don't rmemeber why now.
Originally Posted by Mags ->
I hope it works out well for you Floydy, things are looking brighter for you.
Thanks all

At least they aren't taking into account my current illness, which I was partially concerned about.

LQ, A personal trainer might have been a good choice 20-30 years ago but not now in my mid-fifties. I'm not into all the running around anymore, though when I do eventually get back to the gym I'll be doing much more in the way of cardio than lifting weights - especially following this hernia issue.

No rush on all of this though. My main reason initially was my wife's health, but she's improving. A few setbacks with 'stomach rejections' but the cancer is wholly gone, so that's good.
She wants me to stay on nights, no real thought of my need to get my life back. "Think of how much better off we'd be" she says when we pay the debts off next month.
Thing is, we will still be okay as there will be no debts, even if I lose my night pay, so give me back my life I say lol
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 02:00 PM

I admire you Floydy, it takes will power , to look for a new job.
Where I worked for 32 years, they closed down two years ago. They went bankrupt , I loss out on my pension, I should be looking for a part time job, just to get a few things . At my age , I gave up.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 03:01 PM

Floydy, I am hoping the hews will be good for you and that your boss is sincere in trying to move you to an earlier shift. I applaud your forthrightness with your employer and hope he is sincere in helping you. After all, you have given them years of working a difficult shift, and should be given the first shot at an earlier time. Good luck!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbug ->
I admire you Floydy, it takes will power , to look for a new job.
Where I worked for 32 years, they closed down two years ago. They went bankrupt , I loss out on my pension, I should be looking for a part time job, just to get a few things . At my age , I gave up.
Sugarbug, I feel for you losing your job, after so long too. It must be a nightmare scenario trying to re-organise your outgoings and coupled with losing your pension too it's hard to imagine the stress and grief.
Don't give up on finding a job though. I know it's hard, but there must be something you can do as a stop-gap to something better? If not, I hope you're coping and I wish you luck

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, I am hoping the hews will be good for you and that your boss is sincere in trying to move you to an earlier shift. I applaud your forthrightness with your employer and hope he is sincere in helping you. After all, you have given them years of working a difficult shift, and should be given the first shot at an earlier time. Good luck!
Thanks Surfermom.
We'll see what they come up with, no rush tbh, though I would like to be settled off nights after Christmas if possible. I did stress to him that I do not want to work the twin day shift 6-2, 2-10. That is horrible, especially on Fridays. At my time of life I think I deserve the break of working a normal day. I'm fine on nights until they decide what to do with me. At least I know there's now some movement in the pipeline
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-09-2019, 12:55 PM

A message from HR this morning:
"All our vacancies are on the website and we direct all interested candidates to have a look on there".

So there you go, typical of the inflexible company I work for.
Looks like I'm staying on nights.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2019, 01:00 PM

Don't let it get you down. Floydy, you are better than that - and your turn will come!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Don't let it get you down. Floydy, you are better than that - and your turn will come!
I'll keep at it, Tabby. I've been on nights 14 years I'm used to it now.
At the moment I can't be bothered anyway. I just want my hernia issue sorted out. Bored stiff at home!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
A message from HR this morning:
"All our vacancies are on the website and we direct all interested candidates to have a look on there".

So there you go, typical of the inflexible company I work for.
Looks like I'm staying on nights.

Not necessarily Floydy.
Why don't you keep checking their website, - daily, or else certainly weekly?
If it is a big company, people probably hand their notice in frequently, so surely it's worth keeping tabs on the situation, else you could easily miss a vacancy.

Another thought - have you got a fork lift licence?
Round here there are often fork lift drivers wanted, and wondered if that would be worth exploring?

Page 14 of 15 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top