Join for free
Page 6 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:25 PM

Re: The job search begins here

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Cheers Besoeker
Only my current workplace experience these days bud. I had qualifications galore when I was in the RAF and just after service but they all became obsolete having not used them. There are options available though and I have written away fro another two jobs this afternoon.
As I say though, I'm still working so there's no haste to panic into anything I don't wish to go for.
Do qualifications become obsolete?
Many here will know that I am an electrical engineer. Got my degree and professional status when I was in my early twenties. As far as I know they are still valid five decades on.

Whatever, I am still retained as a consultant for a few major companies. And gets me a bit of dosh.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:28 PM

You won't believe this Baz, but I won £30 on the Lotto last night. Must be because we were talking about it lol!
Well done Floydy, good for you!

Maybe me making this reply to your comment will bring you another £30, or more!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Do qualifications become obsolete?
Many here will know that I am an electrical engineer. Got my degree and professional status when I was in my early twenties. As far as I know they are still valid five decades on.

Whatever, I am still retained as a consultant for a few major companies. And gets me a bit of dosh.
They get out of date more than obsolete I guess, Besoeker. The knowledge is still there of course but some of the ones I have such as C.O.S.H.H. and various Health & Safety courses do need newly updating with current guidelines. I still list them on my CV though as it shows I have a good understanding of the procedures. Plus my current place of work is the country's biggest supplier of H&S equipment so a possible future employer will know that I know my stuff.

Good on you for keeping your hand in on the work front too!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Well done Floydy, good for you!

Maybe me making this reply to your comment will bring you another £30, or more!
Let's not push things Baz, I made a 'blood brothers' type pact when I first started doing the lottery that I would share any winnings with my wife, so £15 was surrendered immediately I returned from the newsagent!
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:49 PM

Let's not push things Baz, I made a 'blood brothers' type pact when I first started doing the lottery that I would share any winnings with my wife, so £15 was surrendered immediately I returned from the newsagent!
Mrs Floydy would be well-pleased then if it was ever £1 million or anything with a £ plus many, many noughts!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:54 PM

They get out of date more than obsolete I guess, Besoeker. The knowledge is still there of course but some of the ones I have such as C.O.S.H.H. and various Health & Safety courses do need newly updating with current guidelines. I still list them on my CV though as it shows I have a good understanding of the procedures. Plus my current place of work is the country's biggest supplier of H&S equipment so a possible future employer will know that I know my stuff.

Good on you for keeping your hand in on the work front too!
Thanks Floydy. I can understand the C.O.S.H.H. need for updating. In my field, the basic theory remains. Amps, volts, ohms and stuff. And the subsequent mathematics MA.

But what I regularly had to update was my site safety passport which required attendance on a formal course every two years. Then there were mandatory internal courses when we became part of a major international corporation. And rather light weight.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-08-2019, 07:45 PM

Mrs Floydy would be well-pleased then if it was ever £1 million or anything with a £ plus many, many noughts!
I'd be very tempted not to tell her for a while but I wouldn't be able to keep it up for very long. She would get suspicious of my nice clothes and expensive watch.
I'd love to suddenly go to work in a Lamborghini one night or charter a helicopter and tell them I'm leaving there and then though!
Baz46

04-08-2019, 08:35 PM

I'd be very tempted not to tell her for a while but I wouldn't be able to keep it up for very long. She would get suspicious of my nice clothes and expensive watch.
I'd love to suddenly go to work in a Lamborghini one night or charter a helicopter and tell them I'm leaving there and then though!
Until then though you will have to concentrate on the job search to enable you to get off nights!
I can recommend semi-retirement at sixty though, which you once commented on. It's well worth it as I found out, it lessens the impact of suddenly not working at all on full retirement.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 09:12 PM

Floydy If you recall I said about working nights etc and have to say the nightshift at my place of work was made redundant and all bar two who had actually planned to retire have gained work and day jobs better than they imagined 4 had not been for a job interview for 18 years. All much happier although none would have changed bar the redundancy. So there are jobs out there and sometimes the grass is greener. Best of luck.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-08-2019, 10:25 PM

Until then though you will have to concentrate on the job search to enable you to get off nights!
I can recommend semi-retirement at sixty though, which you once commented on. It's well worth it as I found out, it lessens the impact of suddenly not working at all on full retirement.
Yes Baz, I'm still committed to going part-time at 60. A postman's job would be fine, or a few hours per week stacking shelves. Wouldn't bother me at all. I've been looking at my RAF pension which isn't the full lot but it's a 12-year pot with a decent two and a half grand per year so that would top it up nicely. It's actually pretty frightening when I think that's only five years away now!

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
Floydy If you recall I said about working nights etc and have to say the nightshift at my place of work was made redundant and all bar two who had actually planned to retire have gained work and day jobs better than they imagined 4 had not been for a job interview for 18 years. All much happier although none would have changed bar the redundancy. So there are jobs out there and sometimes the grass is greener. Best of luck.
Thank you Kazz, very good of you
Redundancy would be superb, I really wood be in a good position but with the company expanding that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Then again, I'm quite happy job hunting, it's almost like a part-time hobby right now - and there's no stress about it either. All very interesting seeing how it works.
It must be really difficult for younger people though, ore those who have been laid off trying to get into work.

Page 6 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top