Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 02:46 PM

Re: Should I upgrade.

For those who want to keep a W.7 system with updates, a plan might be to get them while they are available. Disk image the system when there are no more.

With a disk image to hand, there will never be a need to reinstall from scratch. The disk image will include all previously installed programs and updates.

Windows 7's own disk imaging function or any third-party disk imaging program can be used to make the disk image.

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
The company where I used to work still has some old computers in daily use that run on XP and Win7. In fact, the applications they run were never upgraded to later versions of Windows because the companies went bust.

On a personal basis I would very much like to get rid of Win10 and use the best flavour of Ubuntu available but I'm too much of a scaredy cat to make this transition by myself in case I make a major cock up.
If you do decide to go for Linux, have a look at Linux Mint. I think that's the one that has the most W.7-like feel about it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Anyone who values their W7 system and doesn't ever want Microsoft to ever be able to bugger about with it, should simply DISABLE WINDOWS UPDATES completely.

We have already seen in the past the nefarious methods Microsoft are prepared to use when they sent an update down the line to everybody which forced their PCs into a W10 updgrade process with a clock ticking down telling them in how many days/hours it would happen. Absolutely shocking and arrogant mentality.

Microsoft want everyone onto their new W10 system because THEY control your PC when that happens. They can then dictate the updates and what you see on your screen. I will not go there.

I have had W7 for years and I totally disabled Windows Updates the day I bought the machines. Yes that's right, my laptops have never had a single Windows Update and do you know what? It's never once proven to be a problem, I've never been hacked, never had a virus that caused any issue.

I don't use Microsoft/Windows security stuff, I ALWAYS use a well established and free antivirus and internet security package like Avast, Comodo and so on. I also occasionally use Malwarebytes to do a malware scan.

Like everything else things are marketed to you using a "Campaign of Fear". It's largely BS.

I would personally stay with W7 for as long as you can but to do that you MUST disable Windows Updates completely otherwise you can be sure they will send something down the line which effectively makes you upgrade to W10 (doesn't have to be an actual upgrade update, they could just send an update down the line that causes your browser to have lots of problems with websites until you go to W10).

The large corporations are imho all working together. I used to be able to use Google Maps absolutely fine with W7 and my old IE browser. In the last 1 to 2 years Google have now started simply blocking my access to Maps. They just pop up a message about version of browser etc. I know they are simply blocking people because if I went on the website of THE AA and went to route finder/planner that would pop up a map (which states in the corner it is Google maps) and it works just fine. Thus there is no question that Google have simply decided to look at what browser you are using and if THEY don't like it they simply block you from using Google Maps. It's all a bit pathetic but the typical result of giving companies too much power imo.

My advice would be to always keep at least 1 W7 laptop or PC even if you decide to buy a newer W10 or above machine. But to be able to keep that W7 machine and preserve it you MUST disable Windows Updates completely.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 03:56 PM

Thanks everyone.
I have upgraded and now have Windows 10. Still getting the 'feel' of it at the moment. I admit I did like 7 but was advised from so many quarters to upgrade. I am a real 'dummy' when it comes to computing and computers.
The hard drive has been removed from the 7 and a neighbour tells me he has a hefty sledge hammer.
Once again, many thanks.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Wouldn't it be better to install the security updates now, and then install a third party antivirus software?

Whereas I avoid Windows Updates, I always take advantage of Windows antivirus updates.
The point I was making was that, in the event of your, maybe, doing a complete re-installation of W7, you would be able to do that off your copy of W7.

However, if you are doing a clean reinstall from Hard Disk, or whatever, due to a lost or damaged drive, the Security updates will, no longer, be coming your way.That means you'll end up with W7 but no MS security updates at all.

However, if you download the W7 security updates right now. you can save them somewhere safe and you'll, probably, be OK.

On a further level, I suspect that we'll find that the Antivirus market may well swerve quickly away from W7 as they might not make any dosh from trying to get that interface sorted. By that I mean that it's questionable whether they'll want to write fixes, and searches, for machines without those basic security fixes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Disk image the system when there are no more.

With a disk image to hand, there will never be a need to reinstall from scratch. The disk image will include all previously installed programs and updates.
Is this the same as 'Create a System Image' in Back up and Restore (Windows 7), which is still available in W10?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 04:22 PM

Is this the same as 'Create a System Image' in Back up and Restore (Windows 7), which is still available in W10?
If you create your disk image, before MS shut off the security downloads, there are a couple of things to watch out for:-

1) MS may put out some security updates on the eve of turning off the downloads. You'd need to make sure that you miss none because of that.

2) Installing from a disk image is time travelling back to the day the disk was created. i.e. nothing which you have added, or changed, since the image was made, will be there.
The security updates, etc, will be there if they were there when you made the image.

3) Needless to say, if you have more than one hard drive, or Stick, that may need rethinking - if apps are on those extra drives.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

10-01-2020, 04:45 PM

Realist said:-

"I have had W7 for years and I totally disabled Windows Updates the day I bought the machines. Yes that's right, my laptops have never had a single Windows Update and do you know what? It's never once proven to be a problem, I've never been hacked, never had a virus that caused any issue."

It's a shame that everyone cannot say that!

But the more you go on line, the bigger the risk.

There are plenty of perps out there trying to get into other people's systems - or banks.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 06:00 PM

Yes, it is the same. Works so well that it hasn't been dropped in Windows 10 ..so far.

You'd also need to create a start-up disk to be able to access the disk image. In the event of a catastrophic failure, start the system from the start-up disk or USB stick, access the disk image (stored on a drive other than the C: drive) and start the recovery procedure.

Whether preferring to install updates or not, making a disk image is a good measure to take.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Yes, it is the same. Works so well that it hasn't been dropped in Windows 10 ..so far.

You'd also need to create a start-up disk to be able to access the disk image. In the event of a catastrophic failure, start the system from the start-up disk or USB stick, access the disk image (stored on a drive other than the C: drive) and start the recovery procedure.

Whether preferring to install updates or not, making a disk image is a good measure to take.
Thanks.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
It's a shame that everyone cannot say that!

But the more you go on line, the bigger the risk.

There are plenty of perps out there trying to get into other people's systems - or banks.

I've been going online for 30+ years and am online probably 16hrs a day every day.

People are largely ignorant of updates and have absolutely no clue whatsoever they are updating their machines with. They just live in that ignorance and devolve the research and problem to Microsoft saying "I'll just leave it up to MS"

Those that naively did this a few years ago found that the company they had trusted, had sent a specific and special update down the line to their PCs which was a bloody devil to get rid of and which, if left to its own devices would auto-update their PC to W10 whether they wanted it or not.

A machine should only ever be updated if:

1. You have identified a specific need for which you require an update

2. There exists an update that meets your specific need

3. You understand exactly what is in the specific update and what it will do to your PC and all software on it

The vast majority of people fail at No 1. They have absolutely no need that requires an update, they just do it because.

More fool them.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top