Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 01:49 PM

Re: Will Covid-19 lead to long-term food shortages and price rises?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry Baz, this is the documentary that accompanies your post, but it's on the catchup thingy....https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000k4cg
Thanks OGF, I didn't see that and even now cannot find any link or anything at all on the item I posted. Usually I don't have this problem. Perhaps I 'should have gone to Specsavers' or got a white stick and a Labrador!

Ah, found it! That's a little obscure OGF, poor website design by the BBC that is, there should have been either a link in the text or linked to that same picture – I had to search on iPlayer for the title so not really part of what I posted. However, all is not lost, I will have a look at it as there might just be something more to learn about the article.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 03:56 PM

Hi

Some interesting facts about food production in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-uk-supply

We are going to have to significantly change our eating habits to become more self sufficient.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Some interesting facts about food production in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-uk-supply

We are going to have to significantly change our eating habits to become more self sufficient.
As a nation we are already changing our eating habits! There are considerably more vegans now. I would also like to see a reduction in takeaways, because if everybody cooked their own food we would be eating a lot less fat & just think how much NHS money could be saved if heart disease & obesity was reduced!
It is time people cooked their own food again, and knew what they were eating!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I do think prices will go up though, because supermarkets will want to regain the huge profits they have always made from food!
Supermarkets kept prices low.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's that BBC up to it's old tricks again Baz, after watching the vid everybody will be going out again panic buying...There wouldn't have been a shortage before if the beeb hadn't told us there was going to be a shortage......

We'll not go hungry, maybe
just change our eating habits for a while....
Right on the mark OGF .
smile
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Right on the mark OGF .
smile
Cheers Apricot.....
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 09:23 PM

I agree with everyone who said we will NOT go hungry.
Certainly there are, and will continue to be, spotty shortages of SOME items.
In the U.S. prices of fresh beef, hams and sausages have gone up aprox + 6%. I can live with that, however.

I don' see staples like flour, sugar, rice, pastas, etc being in any short supply. Items that require hand picking will definitely be in short supply: fresh strawberries, watermelons etc

The U.S. produces so much food stuffs, that there is a reason why we are called "The Bread-Basket of the World". Heck, we even export rice to Asia. Much like Australia which exports the highest quality beef to Japan.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't have a problem getting hold of anything now I no longer have to go into a 'virtual queue ' at the flour mill to order baking supplies.
Having discovered new sources of supply locally I am going to carry on supporting them as they have supported me.

I don't envisage any shortages except if the weather causes a problem unless people listen to scare stories and panic buy leading to artificial shortages.

One thing I did have a problem getting was freezer bags/kitchen bin bags then I found out the manufacturer were making PPE.
I was able to buy them in bulk online and now have a years supply.
I'm with you all the way with supporting our local sources Meg. I have been fortunate that living in a Market town, all of our local butchers, greengrocer's and bakeries combined forces together and offered free delivery to anyone local as long as the minimum order from the combined shops was £20.00. which believe me, takes no time at all to tot up on my shopping list! I have been so fortunate in having this facility available, Also, I have a priority slot with Iceland for anything else that I need such as milk, cream, cheese etc, so I haven't had to endure what many others have had to.

I have always bought my meat from the butchers anyway, but after sampling the lovely choice of fresh fruit and vegetables and fresh bread and rolls from them, I will NEVER go back! to using Sainsbury's or Tesco ever again. If I want anything like tinned baked beans etc, I will either order them with Iceland or one of my gorillas can get them for me. I count myself so lucky during this dreadful time as I have everything we need as and when. It would be an utter betrayal not to support such wonderful people when and if this is over. God Bless Them, say I.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 11:19 PM

Hi

Lidl and Morrisons have been very good, I do not use Tesco.

The Sunday Market is now open again, so use that for meat and the veg I cannot grow or is not ready yet.

It is all UK supplied.

We severely limit our time out.

I have always bought local, so much better.

Pasta and Rice and Ginger are the only imported stuff I buy regularly, apart from wine.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top