Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 10:15 AM

Japan Trade Deal in Weeks

Reported in both the Sun and the Express today.

Here is the Express version as its a bit more "gammon"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...hnson-trade-eu
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 10:34 AM

Re: Japan Trade Deal in Weeks

I can't help thinking that all these trade deals that the EU has (Japan, Singapore, Canada, MERCUSOR etc etc) will need renegotiating because these countries can instead get access to UK financial services, security, education etc directly with us. They will no longer have access to UK markets through their existing EU deal after 31st December 2020.

If the UK services were key negotiating points for them getting EU trade deals, then I can see the EU having to come back to the table to compromise in some other areas to compensate for it. Not good news for the 27.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by bread ->
i can't help thinking that all these trade deals that the eu has (japan, singapore, canada, mercusor etc etc) will need renegotiating because these countries can instead get access to uk financial services, security, education etc directly with us. They will no longer have access to uk markets through their existing eu deal after 31st december 2020.

If the uk services were key negotiating points for them getting eu trade deals, then i can see the eu having to come back to the table to compromise in some other areas to compensate for it. Not good news for the 27.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Reported in both the Sun and the Express today.

Here is the Express version as its a bit more "gammon"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...hnson-trade-eu
Like with norway, it's just a rollover liam fox promised to have sealed by january this year.

Any deal would build on the existing Japan-EU free trade agreement that Britain will leave when the transition period for its exit from the European Union concludes at the end of the year.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...in-trip-trade/

And the japanese have the same problems with the UK

Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi and British Secretary of State for International Trade Liz Truss are expected to hold talks in early August*to break the deadlock in sensitive areas, such as the scrapping and reduction of tariffs, in an effort to reach a broad agreement.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...em-trade-deal/
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

29-07-2020, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Like with norway, it's just a rollover liam fox promised to have sealed by january this year.

Any deal would build on the existing Japan-EU free trade agreement that Britain will leave when the transition period for its exit from the European Union concludes at the end of the year.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...in-trip-trade/

And the japanese have the same problems with the UK

Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi and British Secretary of State for International Trade Liz Truss are expected to hold talks in early August*to break the deadlock in sensitive areas, such as the scrapping and reduction of tariffs, in an effort to reach a broad agreement.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...em-trade-deal/

The Japan trade deals goes further than the EU one. Funny how you are agreeing with me again when I was saying we should roll over our trade deals with other countries.

Funny that ....
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 02:54 PM

The Japan trade deals goes further than the EU one. Funny how you are agreeing with me again when I was saying we should roll over our trade deals with other countries.

Funny that ....
Not funny, logic. Fox was appointed the first*secretary of state for international trade*theresa may., who ordered him to rollover all trade deals. David davis was also dreaming about that.

Goes further? It isn't even hammered out, let alone signed yet.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

29-07-2020, 03:01 PM

Not funny, logic. Fox was appointed the first*secretary of state for international trade*theresa may., who ordered him to rollover all trade deals. David davis was also dreaming about that.

Goes further? It isn't even hammered out, let alone signed yet.
You and Swimmy were telling me it was impossible to "novate" trade deals remember ? Seems you changed your mind, yet again

The Japan trade deal does, indeed go a lot further than what you have with them (although you are yet to complete it).

Education is one are Japan are seriously looking at and also immigration for Japanese workers so they can train them in their Japanese factories (Nissan, Toyota etc) where they can also learn English (plus digital services etc etc). There are other areas but this is to be expected with trade deals, something Barnier has been failing with for over 3 years with us.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

29-07-2020, 03:29 PM

You and Swimmy were telling me it was impossible to "novate" trade deals remember ? Seems you changed your mind, yet again

The Japan trade deal does, indeed go a lot further than what you have with them (although you are yet to complete it).

Education is one are Japan are seriously looking at and also immigration for Japanese workers so they can train them in their Japanese factories (Nissan, Toyota etc) where they can also learn English (plus digital services etc etc). There are other areas but this is to be expected with trade deals, something Barnier has been failing with for over 3 years with us.
You don't understand the terms novate and rollover?

You were the one fuming about the amount of time in the negotiations reserved for other subjects than trade. It seems it is dawning on you why that is.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

29-07-2020, 03:36 PM

You don't understand the terms novate and rollover?

You were the one fuming about the amount of time in the negotiations reserved for other subjects than trade. It seems it is dawning on you why that is.
You do realise that "trade" should be the biggest part of a "trade" deal don't you ?

Surely you must know that. Unless your Barnier the clown then you talk about everything but trade and then spend more time explaining and making excuses for getting nowhere than actually having a grown up discussion with our superior negotiators.

My new line is .... "Bin Barnier... Get a Deal"... sounds about right to me.

Oh, and by the way, if you want to split hairs over the terms "novate" and "roll over' be my guest. You will notice we have done both - look at Switzerland and Japan as examples.

Just saying like ... just to help you understand
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 03:38 PM

I'd say that would be a very big win for the Japanese. When Bridgestone took over Firestone (I worked for Firestone at its technical centre in Rome at the time), B/stone put about 20 of it's technical engineers in our centre. Us Brits, used to teaching the Italians how to speak, read and write English, were used as language teachers and mentors for the Jap engineers even though none of us were really qualified to do so.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top