Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Saving the Bees

The pesticides which were threatening our bee population have been banned we are told and that is good. I got this email this morning and thought some of you lovely folk might be interested.

Could you plant some bee friendly flowers in your garden?
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/bee-seeds
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Re: Saving the Bees

It's a fact that bees have suffered terribly in recent years with parasites and pesticides, and anything we can do to alleviate their problems can only be a good thing, we would actually starve without them doing what they do....

Good link Cate, seeds ordered...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Thanks Cate. I sometimes think of the quote attributed to Albert Einstein - "If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years left to live."
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 07:23 PM

We are aware of the plight of bees too.
We were hoping to get some bees last year but haven't as yet. Though our daughter is having a hive soon, she will be sharing the honey with the bee keeper.
Great idea Cate, thanks for the link
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 09:47 PM

Thanks everyone. I have also put this message on Facebook so if everyone does a little we might save those little furry chaps.
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 10:49 PM

I feel so sorry for the wildlife they have had the most awful weather to cope with , we had planted lots of bee and butterfly loving plants already and we have ordered some wild flower plants especially for the same purpose, it gives us lots of pleasure too watching the Lavenders and Buddleia etc covered in them.
Thanks for this link
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Good post Cookie. I read about this problem a few years ago (probably more a prediction back then) and did plant some bee friendly plants and I don't use chemical fertilisers/pesticides at all (vinegar does get rid of everything, it just takes a little longer). However, I read recently that hand-pollinating is something that is being tried out (China I think) and the warning is that if hand-pollinating becomes the norm, the cost of food will become unaffordable. It really is time all these chemicals were banned.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

10-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Good post Cookie. I read about this problem a few years ago (probably more a prediction back then) and did plant some bee friendly plants and I don't use chemical fertilisers/pesticides at all (vinegar does get rid of everything, it just takes a little longer). However, I read recently that hand-pollinating is something that is being tried out (China I think) and the warning is that if hand-pollinating becomes the norm, the cost of food will become unaffordable. It really is time all these chemicals were banned.
This is true and pretty obvious to anyone with an ounce of sense. However, Owen Patterson doesn't seem to understand that without bees the world is in serious jeopardy http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...esticides-bees
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the link Cookie.

Things like that really irritate me - the next person that claims we live in a democracy will get a link to that source; this bit in particular: ' The YouGov poll, conducted for Avaaz, found that 71% of Britons said the UK should vote in favour of the EU moratorium.' Just shows how much we think is actually of concern to the government.

Another line: 'The chemical manufacturers claim that a suspension would reduce food production' Now given the reprimands we get about the food mountain wastage every year, maybe it would be a good thing and teach people not to be so wasteful or so keen to throw food away or, better still, don't buy what you don't need in the first place and there wouldn't be a shortage that would cause problems.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

10-05-2013, 02:09 PM

What you say is oh so true. People need educating on food production and how long it can be kept, whether or not it can be frozen. People don't know enough about not wasting food. When did you last hear anyone say oh good stale bread, time for a pudding?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top