Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 12:15 AM

Re: Catalytic Converters

Thanks very much everyone.

I hadn't a clue what they were, or how I'd know if mine had been nicked, but I do now.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 10:27 AM

They smell delightful when they go wrong too....... rotten eggs.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I hadn't a clue what they were, or how I'd know if mine had been nicked, but I do now.
Hi Mups, lots of people don't know about them, it's 'out of sight out of mind'

The thieves use a battery powered 'angle grinder' fitted with a metal cutting disc. They need to make two cuts, provided there's sufficient space around the exhaust pipe each cut takes about a minute (If they've practised and hold the thing correctly) it can take a lot longer if the exhaust pipe is very close to the chassis. That's probably why some vehicles are more likely to be targetted. I know that on my Mercedes Sprinter there was plenty of space around the exhaust pipe and as the body was also raised it was easy to get to. Woried me the whole time had the vehicle

You can buy a security clamp thingy but they are expensive and difficult to fit.

I would suggest you are better off to avoid parking overnight near a city centre McDonalds
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Hi Losos, I am amazed if they use angle grinders and metal cutting discs, that no one hears all the racket!
Surely that can't be done in silence?

Another thing that is being nicked all the time, are number plates.
Loads of them are taken.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am amazed if they use angle grinders and metal cutting discs, that no one hears all the racket!
Surely that can't be done in silence?
Yes, you are absolutely right they do make a very loud screeching sound, but if you are operating on an industrial estate at 2am in the morning then I guess the risk is worth it (For the criminals) if it was me I would have a mate sitting in a car with the engine running who could bleep his horn if anyone approached and I could roll out from under and jump in.

Oh heck I probably shouldn't have written that haha.

If you & I live long enough the problem will go away because electric vehicles will not have a need for 'catalytic converters' (They will need millions of 'charging points' every where and I'm sure some 'low life' will find a way of diverting the charger from the vehicle parking point to his home and getting 'free electricity' haha)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 07:11 PM

It's amazing what people get away with in the middle of the night. Despite making all sorts of noises, no one goes to investigate.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

05-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's amazing what people get away with in the middle of the night. Despite making all sorts of noises, no one goes to investigate.
Car alarms are the most common, it's a case of "probably a false alarm"

Problem is that when they first came on the market there were a lot of false alarms. Things got better with the newer cars, but now I'm reading that the 'auto option key' thingy has actually made it easier for the thiefs.

So car makers wanted to save the need for someone to get the key out of their pocket and press the button and in so doing they made theft of car easier doooooooh
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-12-2019, 12:53 PM

That is true about car alarms.
Most of the time they go off no one bats an eyelid.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-12-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Car alarms are the most common, it's a case of "probably a false alarm"

Problem is that when they first came on the market there were a lot of false alarms. Things got better with the newer cars, but now I'm reading that the 'auto option key' thingy has actually made it easier for the thiefs.

So car makers wanted to save the need for someone to get the key out of their pocket and press the button and in so doing they made theft of car easier doooooooh
Yep!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top