Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:12 AM

Lord's Prayer ban 'bewilders' Church of England

The Church of England has said it is "disappointed and bewildered" by the refusal of leading UK cinemas to show an advert featuring the Lord's Prayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34891928

Is this the thin end of the wedge ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:16 AM

Re: Lord's Prayer ban 'bewilders' Church of England

Absolutely not!!! - If, on the rare occasions I choose to visit the cinema, as an atheist, the last thing I want is to have some sod attempting to ram his religion down my throat!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:22 AM

It's sad because nothing is stopping other faiths making their own ad I would say. And if your own faith is strong enough it should be able to stand up to a prayer from another faith being said in your presence.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:31 AM

I was listening to this being discussed on the radio this morning.
The short film was to be shown before the screening of the new Star Wars film.
Apparently it is to give the message 'Just Pray'

I am not offended by the advertisement/film but if I go to the cinema I go to see a film and don't want people suggesting to me that I pray .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:36 AM

Oh I don't know some modern films need a prayer to get through them Meg
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:39 AM

This makes my blood boil! I support this 100%. Why should you depict prayer in a cinema? Why should you have religion shoved down your throat?

I am disappointed and bewildered that people feel the need to pray and why do we need to indoctrinate children that praying is somehow "good" and achieves something, or 'someone' is somehow listening. I consider the concept of praying to be "plain silly" (To quote Church of England).

I am looking forward to seeing the new Star Wars film, but if I am having to sit there and endure this garbage (much less PAY to see it), then I will probably wait for the DVD.

I assume that with the popularity of the new film, the CoE decided this is a good opportunity to spread its dogmatic propaganda about something which doesn't exist and get people to participate in an act which achieves nothing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I was listening to this being discussed on the radio this morning.
The short film was to be shown before the screening of the new Star Wars film.
Apparently it is to give the message 'Just Pray'

I am not offended by the advertisement/film but if I go to the cinema I go to see a film and don't want people suggesting to me that I pray .

I agree actually, I don't feel a cinema is really a place to encourage prayer. Like the reverse, I wouldn't expect a church to show films!
Alien
Uk
Alien is male  Alien has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:44 AM

The Church of England has said it is "disappointed and bewildered" by the refusal of leading UK cinemas to show an advert featuring the Lord's Prayer.
The Church called the decision "plain silly" and warned it could have a "chilling" effect on free speech.
It had hoped the 60-second film would be screened UK-wide before Christmas ahead of the new Star Wars film.
The agency that handles adverts for the cinemas said it could offend those of "differing faiths and no faith".
The advert features the Christian prayer being recited or sung by a variety of people.
They include refugees, a grieving son, weightlifters at a gym, a sheep farmer, a gospel choir and the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Justin Welby.
Watch the advert here. (on YouTube)
'Everyday life'
The advert was passed uncut by the British Board of Film Classification and given a "U" certificate, as well as receiving clearance from the Cinema Advertising Authority. The Church of England says it is "disappointed and bewildered" by the refusal of leading UK cinemas to show an advert featuring the Lord's Prayer.
However, the Digital Cinema Media (DCM) agency, which handles British film advertising for the major cinema chains, Odeon, Cineworld and Vue, refused to show the advert because it believed it would risk upsetting or offending audiences.
In a statement, DCM said it had a policy of not accepting political or religious advertising content in its cinemas.
It said that "some advertisements - unintentionally or otherwise - could cause offence to those of differing political persuasions, as well as to those of differing faiths and indeed of no faith," and that "in this regard, DCM treats all political or religious beliefs equally".

Lord's Prayer cinema ad ban 'bewilders' Church of England http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34891928
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:46 AM

I dont want to see any adverts at a cinema, i go to see the film and not be preached at or try to have my buying choices manipulated.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-11-2015, 10:48 AM

I get quite annoyed at adverts for many things perhaps we need to decide what is appropriate and what isn't.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top