Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Re: Scam Inheritance Letters

Any letter, phone call, Email etc that doesn't tell you where the sender is physically..ie an address where they can be visited and spoken to in person..is a scam. YOu can bet on it. Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is (too good to be true) and isn't (true)I don't believe anything any more. And I stay safe.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Any letter, phone call, Email etc that doesn't tell you where the sender is physically..ie an address where they can be visited and spoken to in person..is a scam. YOu can bet on it. Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is (too good to be true) and isn't (true)I don't believe anything any more. And I stay safe.
That's a good philosophy to have keezoy - it's sad that we have to feel that way isn't it?

There is an address and telephone number on the letter plus the name of a company of lawyers. When I googled the company name it came up as a proper company and the person who had sent the letter was pictured as the head of the company, with a photo and information on his qualifications as a lawyer. There were pictures and notes on other 'lawyers' in the company too - to all intents and purposes it looked legitimate. It seems to me that it is quite a sophisticated scam. However, being a cynical person I was not taken in - if it looks too good to be true etc as you say. Upon further research I discovered that many of these scams originate in Spain and are organised by Nigerian con-men.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 06:13 PM

not just letters we get them by phone as well. Just today had one pretending to be BT Openreach with a very thick Indian accent guy on the other end. He got a good old English F.O from Sue
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 06:35 PM

Anything I get saying I am owed money, I know is a scam. No bugger has ever given me anything.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 11:20 AM

It is almost always from Nigeria. I recall being quite miffed not to get one. Then I did! Success of a sort. Never reply, by the way.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
It is almost always from Nigeria. I recall being quite miffed not to get one. Then I did! Success of a sort. Never reply, by the way.
The letter is in the bin now - a shame really I could have had some fun with 5 million euro
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
The letter is in the bin now - a shame really I could have had some fun with 5 million euro
Or five million Naira, probably around a pound sterling.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 03:31 PM

Could your husband’s details have been garnered from an electoral register?

You can now opt out of having your details from the electoral register on the open register, if you haven’t already done so, to avoid them being accessed by marketing companies etc but that wasn’t always the case in the past.

If some unscrupulous scammers have got hold of an old voters’ roll, they may be using the name and address details from it.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...oral-register/

My mother-in-law used to receive letters like this from the USA - we could never work out where the scammers got her name and address from but I know that marketing companies use the electoral register and also some companies and charities buy or sell customer database lists for third party marketing purposes, which scammers may get hold of.

I always look out for those tricky tick boxes which dictate what companies and charities can use your details for.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

28-07-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
Could your husband’s details have been garnered from an electoral register?

You can now opt out of having your details from the electoral register on the open register, if you haven’t already done so, to avoid them being accessed by marketing companies etc but that wasn’t always the case in the past.

If some unscrupulous scammers have got hold of an old voters’ roll, they may be using the name and address details from it.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...oral-register/

My mother-in-law used to receive letters like this from the USA - we could never work out where the scammers got her name and address from but I know that marketing companies use the electoral register and also some companies and charities buy or sell customer database lists for third party marketing purposes, which scammers may get hold of.

I always look out for those tricky tick boxes which dictate what companies and charities can use your details for.
Thank you for that - I really don't know is the answer but it could well be. I am aware that we can opt out of the full register but am not sure whether we actually have done that. I will check!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 09:07 PM

I wonder where they got my husband's full name and our address - we are ex-directory so it wasn't from the 'phone book.
Margaret there are many ways to get your name and address, there are actually lists circulating bought and sold by spammers.

I have even had 2 letters in the post with an 'official stamp' from a police station in Australia about my son's unpaid parking fines, he has never been to Australia so they just went in the bin

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top