Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 02:16 AM

Euthanasia or Natural Death?

I don't know how to start this properly, but I'll try. In the past, I have had to have some of my darling cats put to sleep in severe circumstances. Others have appeared to be well but, over a period of a day or so they have died peacefully in their own time naturally and without any suffering, through old age.

My very last 20th century cat Casey, who was born in 1995 is now displaying very odd signs. He looks well, he is eating properly, he is purring and seems fine, but he's acting differently.

He has confined himself to the kitchen whereby he used to love sitting here next to me on my desk. He's also walking oddly and appears to be incontinent, using my kitchen floor as a toilet, which he's never done before.

Now, before anybody condemns me, I truly can't afford vet's fees but in himself he looks okay and he's definitely in no pain whatsoever because I've examined him to see if he shows any discomfort anywhere.

For some odd reason he's taken to sleeping on top of my microwave oven but, whenever I go into the kitchen, he jumps (?) down. He doesn't want anything, just a cuddle which of course he gets.

His sister died on Father's Day two years ago. His brother died just one year ago and they were all born in the same year and they were very close.

I love my old darling very much indeed. He has no teeth any longer, but that doesn't prevent him from eating. I know in my heart that he's coming to the end of his life and I can't bear to lose him, but of course I will.

I'm sorry to babble on about this, but I won't have him put to sleep just because he's acting oddly.

I love him so much and he's had a wonderful life, but he is almost 17 years old which is a good old age for a cat.

So sorry. I just needed somebody to talk to about this as I've been really upset about this for a little while now, despite my happy mood in other topics.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Re: Euthanasia or Natural Death?

While Casey can still eat ,pass it,and purr then his quality of life is worth preserving.

It never gets easier to say `goodbye` and as long as there is no pain and he has his dignity ie can keep himself clean it`s not time yet.

My best wishes.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 09:47 AM

As long as hes not in pain, scared or confused and is enjoying your cuddles and company then leave him be and let him end his days in peace with you.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 10:33 AM

It's always a tough call when to end a beloved pet's life, but I always think that if the animal is not in pain or distressed and can still enjoy some aspects of their life then the time hasn't yet come.

Big (((HUGS))) from all of us at plantman towers Mollie, we know that you'll make the right decision for you both...
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 11:26 AM

I think for me its quality of life. If you think your pet is still enjoying life albeit differently from when they were young then they should be allowed to do just that. Only you will know as they are your pet. The main thing is they shouldn't suffer just because the owner refuses to let go.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Mollie, I wonder if Casey has an infection that is causing him to urinate in inappropriate locations Does it occur only in the kitchen? Sometimes adding a second litter tray in a different part of the house can help.

My cat Cassie will be 16 next year and fortunately she is still in good health. I don't think of her as being old and only thing I have noticed is that she sleeps more and is content to spend more time in the house rather than do outdoors. It's not unusual for cats to live to 20+ years these days.

I agree with what others have said, as long as Casey isn't displaying signs of pain or distress and is eating well, let him continue as he is. I would be slightly concerned about the inappropriate urinating though ..... how long has it been going on for?
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Molly, I seem to recall going through something like that with my old cat and she lived until 21/22. I had a cat litter tray in the hallway and yet she would go and pee in a corner or elsewhere and another time she would use the cat litter. She also started to behave oddly as well. I am wondering now if she had dementia which I know dogs and cats do get.

I have a quandary about my old dog Tessa, as some of you know she's having acupuncture and has old dog ailments, arthritis and dementia amongst other things. I am getting quite concerned about taking her on an 7 or 8 hour car journey south for a family wedding a couple of days after Christmas. I will be staying with my sister and there will also be a few other relations there as well. Then of course on the day of the wedding she'll have to come with me and stay in the car with me popping out to see to her and Bonnie for a couple of hours.

I know I wont have her much longer but don't feel I should have her put to sleep just so I can go to a family wedding! She sleeps most of the day, is eating well and is not incontinent.

I've spoken to the vet about it a few times and she thinks Tessa will be fine in the car as she'll be safe and can't wander off anywhere. She suggests I get a crate for her whilst at my sisters so she wont be bothered with all the activity. I think this is a good idea so will get one.

I think Casey's fine Mollie and I'm sure you make the most of each day you have left with him as I do with Tessa.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 03:15 PM

My old dog Murphy had dementia, he was 15 and I left him until he got so confused it was distressing for him as he didnt know where he was and constantly paced and lost weight and looked worried. He also got incontinent and was upset by that as he had always been so clean in the house so I made the decision to let him go.

My boxer now has the beginnings of it, he paces and he will stand by the conservatory door to go out, we let him out and he looks at us as if to ask why he is out there so we bring him back in then he stands by the door again and he stands in the corner staring at the wall.

Its choosing when the moment is right that is the hard part.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by doglover ->

Its choosing when the moment is right that is the hard part.
Yes agree, I think letting go of pets has been the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I also have an understanding with my vet and she'll let me know if she thinks I let Tessa go on too long. Before her legs got bad she would stand and stare at the wall and also go to the wrong side of the door to go out. I have to have her on the lead in the garden as she gets lost,she doesn't have much eyesight left either. Its very sad.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 05:12 PM

It's very hard. I agree, as long as he's in no pain and seems to be enjoying life, it's too soon. He may just go to sleep one night and not wake up, as two of my girls did at 20. That's a shock, but a blessing in a way; I hope I will go that peacefully when it's my time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top