Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 03:35 PM

Alternative Therapies

I've booked an appointment with my local chinese therapy clinic,initially I'm going to try acupuncture in the hope it will help to reduce my back pain caused by damage to my Sacro-iliac joint at the bottom of my spine following a car accident.
Have any of you had this treatment before or something similar?

I'm not expecting too much but I'm hoping my pain can become more controlled, anything's worth a try when modern medicine fails and the only treatment offered is painkillers which for me is only a temporary fix and most of the time they don't work for long
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 03:38 PM

Re: Alternative Therapies

It will do no harm so try it .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 03:46 PM

Honey look at it this way, if you are in pain anything 'sensible' is worth a try .Acupuncture works for some but not all, I would go with an open mind and see.

My DIL had acupuncture for her arm and shoulder and found it helped.

I had acupuncture in my thumb with a NHS nurse and the experience is best forgotten Suffice it to say I only went the once and wild horses would't drag me back .

I took my late husband for a course of treatment to a private acupuncturist who trained for 12 years in china. It had no real effect on the pain but my husband found the sessions relaxing .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Go for it Honey. I had it years ago on my back and it was wonderful, but any treatment is only as good as the person delivering it!

I love Reiki and Crystals but I also have a lovely McTimoney Chiropractic friend.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 03:54 PM

I believe it's worth a try, years ago I went to a Chiropractor but it caused even more pain and never got any better which put me off having any other kind of treatment but now I'll try anything rather than have to suffer with it
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 04:00 PM

I had Acupuncture Honey at a chinese clinic also some pills mine was for Depression , I was suicidal after 2 attempts ,,OH said he would try anything to get me better again , also had the hot glass suction on my back too ,i cannot say if it was working because we couldnt afford more than 2 or three sessions and they recommended at least 10 sessions ...
Id say give it a go no harm done if it dont work ..
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Worth a try Honey. We have locally a chinese medical centre but haven't had need to try it yet but wouldn't hesitate to try if the need arises. Did try a chinese neck and shoulder massage in the Trafford Centre which was good.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

17-09-2014, 04:26 PM

thanks all I'll definitely give it a go!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Unlike most complementary (I prefer that word to 'alternative') therapies, acupuncture is supported by a fair bit of good research evidence. Some don't respond well to it, and some get an increase in pain before a dramatic reduction in pain. I would definitely try it for your problem, Honey, but be prepared to try a few sessions before giving up as the effect is cumulative.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 05:06 PM

The best of luck to you Honey whatever you decide, back pain is a terrible thing.
I never had acupuncture done, I would think a good acupuncturist knows what they are doing, I also think there must be a few chancers out there too, so be careful.
Would I have it done? all de pins.
Just a thought, if Chinese acupuncture is as effective as they say it is, how do ordinary doctors make a living in China?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top